BBL 2015-2016 season

Name
Leila
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

Just wondering who has been going to this season BBL games? Or who will be going?

Also has anyone got accreditation for bbl cup final in Birmingham in January yet?

Not me.. BBL Accreditation system is a joke.. If you have a licence you can only do certain things wiht your pictures.. if you havent got a licence you still get in games and do what you want with pics.. I will stick to lower league basketball myself... pays more :)

Oh dear...lol Kipax you don't sound very impressed.
Lol I just got my pass, starting late in the season I know but oh well..lol...sticking to the London copper arena box that's the closest.

I'm new to basketball photography to be honest...I did a little bit at uni but that doesn't count lol from what I gather BBL has 12 teams from Plymouth right up to Glasgow how much popularity they get I'm not sure to be honest. Hopefully one of the guys here can answer that question. I'm trying to sort out my remote camera setup making sure I work how to use it properly before a game lol.

Nice work Kipax...my ultimate basketball dream would be to take photos at the NBA global games in London at the o2. Like the one next year in January. I mostly do football at the moment. Can't wait for the athletic season to kick in lol

Not me.. BBL Accreditation system is a joke.. If you have a licence you can only do certain things wiht your pictures.. if you havent got a licence you still get in games and do what you want with pics.. I will stick to lower league basketball myself... pays more :)
That's very true about the license.

Lol so I take it I'm the only one the court side this year lol?...you guys seem to have abandon ship.
Outside of the money do you enjoy shooting the games?

Lol so I take it I'm the only one the court side this year lol?...you guys seem to have abandon ship.
Outside of the money do you enjoy shooting the games?

I enjoy shooting the games.. But if you have a licence you should be doign it for media not for pleasure.. I mean your not even allowed to post your pics on here are you with a licence?

I doubt it I wouldn't any. Just like to get general photography advice from you guys here on the forum. Make sure I'm doing the right thing on the court/field (depending on which sport I'm shooting)

I doubt it I wouldn't any. Just like to get general photography advice from you guys here on the forum. Make sure I'm doing the right thing on the court/field (depending on which sport I'm shooting)

would be difficult without seeing the pics.. and wheres @GooGaBu ? Hes the globetrotting pro basketball photogrpaher around here and the one I would go to for advice on this subject myself :)

I'm a club photographer for surrey so I'll be there. Kipax is right in saying it's hard to make money from in terms of paper sales, I've had a couple from away teams local papers, but generally being a club tog is the only way of set income from it.

I'll do a few other venues this season along the way. I used to do copper box games a lot but they seem to always have a gang turn up there 'doing it for fun', in other words giving away the pictures for free, so it's impossible to make money from the lions games there. Shame really, a couple of guys there produce decent images but then undermine the value for themselves.

The lighting is great in copper box though, most of the other venues have some shocking lights.

Either way, I love photographing bball. I'll always try to keep a little space for it somewhere in the schedule!

Thanks @KIPAX - I guess these are the rare occasions when I get around to replying here (don't have much to contribute to soccer/cricket/rugby photography).
Most of my basketball work is still abroad - would probably go to say that as much 90% .. but have done the BBL for almost 10 years soon.. so starting to know few bits of that league as well.

How much time have you got @Leila4qgy - could write pages about basketball photography.. ;-)
- BBL Cup Final at Barclaycard Center in Birmingham... doubt accreditations are even considered for that yet. I'd try contacting BBL in mid-December at the earliest for that.
I think it used to be that anyone with a request got a spot at the Cup / Trophy / Play-Off Final events - but with more and more people coming to cover those games... 'just because they wanted to'.
The accreditation is luckily getting a bit tighter for these events... as shooting locations are limited until we get benches behind baselines (as per major tournaments).
But I'd still put in a request if I were you.. if you don't ask.. you won't get.

- Licensing of BBL images.. I think my position is a bit different. Photographing for the league and few clubs (yes, paid) - but as I see it on my visits to various clubs over the season.
There are the photographers with BBL licence (from the league) - but the Clubs also seem to allow photographers curtsied at some venues. And often you do see 150 image Galleries on FB/Flickr day after a game..
I for one am always quite content to have my accreditation on the bases of the images being for Media use (rarely do I meet any restriction of not being allowed to post one/two pics online Twitter/Insta/Blog).
So it doesn't bother me that I can't post pics in Forums ... even if it would sometimes be nice....

- Remote set-up for basketball - as with anywhere where I go to cover games, I get the league/club to OK the set-up and the game where I'll be using it.
As you are placing heavy items behind the backboard .. which potentially can damage the players if anything comes loose.
NOTE!! : I have tried the baskets at Copper Box for placing remote camera there, and it's a 'no-go'. The support arms behind the basket aren't not stable, so your camera would swing too much and it would not be safe (had last visit to Copper Box last week!).
So unless they have different baskets there.. I wouldn't place remotes at that venue.
Also - the minimum of £5.000.000 Public Liability Insurance ... in case of any damage to court/players/basket.
BBL Final events - you should contact the BBL when you apply for accreditation to make your request.
Space is limited behind the basket - depending on TV cameras.. it might only be 4 cameras per basket (priority always for League/agencies..)

Advice for photographing/behaviour court-side... this is where I could spend hours ;-)
Each venue is different.. with different restrictions on movement, locations to photograph...
At Copper Box you are quite well off (unless you have one of the Photo-groups coming with 40 photographers) with space.
So you can get a nice variety of different points of view - and don't necessarily always stick to the ground level, even if that is where we all spent most of our time.
There are some good images to be taken from slightly elevated position as well.. and variety is always good for what ever sport you cover.
Talk to the fellow photographers at the games, there are some friendly people in London Lions games.. so I am sure they will tell you how things work at the Copper Box.

Oh, and NBA Global games in London... the British photographers there tend to be there for photographing the celebrities (the times I've sat there next to a tog from a British agency/paper.. and they've asked who am I shooting for.. and why. And when I say the name of the magazine/client and say I am covering the action on court.. their reply is "Oh, I am here to shoot the celebrities.... do you know where Rio Ferdinand is sitting.. or do you know the name of the Arsenal player behind us??).
It is VERY difficult to get in the NBA game in London... but with the right client!! Of course you can get in.

So... there's a very short answer for you... could spend longer as well (but need to do some work I guess)

Happy to meet-up when I am next coming London way for a game.. if you want to have a chat!

Back