Beach at St Davids, South Wales

Ooh I like this Karen.
You've put the horizon smack bang on the central line, instead of on a third, and I think this is one of those occasions where it's worked. (y)

Wouldn't do for me - i need shade :)

Great colours in that shot

very nice shot, even if the horizon is dead center, still very easy on the eye

evilowl said:

Hmmm. Unfortunately, it needs a bit more than updating, it needs completely rewriting as all the original images are no longer available. I'll have a scour through member pics and see if I can find suitable pics to redo the article. I'll get the express permission of any members whos pics I use. It's gonna take a while obviously. :shrug:

Nice shot Karen btw - very nice! :)

Karamac said:
I keep hearing about this 1/3 rule. what exactly is it?

Well it sort of says you should never do what you've done there and have the horizon split the frame 50/50 like that.

Glad you didn't know it as that's a cracking shot. Of course all rules are there to be ignored when you need to anyway. :)

As with any rules, they are indeed there to be broken.

I think it's good to not only understand the rule itself, but understand when it can be broken.

Technically this shot shouldn't look pleasing, but like I say, this is one of those situations where breaking the rule works :)

Wonderful Shot Karen...very pleasing to look at, nice colours. ...I think it works well because even though you do have a split horizon my eyes sees the cloud line above as a clear line along a third and the angled beach provides two points of interest on the bottom thirds.

I shot I'd be well pleased with if it where mine. (y)

I'm not sure about it to be honest, nothing for the eye to settle on. Nice colours though.

Back