Beach photography

Edit My Images
No
Please see below some photos of the beach where I grew up. Help guidance or tips to help me improve is welcome.

FB_IMG_1494263176953.jpgFB_IMG_1494263161543.jpgFB_IMG_1494263148496.jpg

The main observation I can make is that the presence
of the Sun is seen but not felt! In these renditions, the
absence of the usual harsh shadowy areas makes the
shots look flat.

None of these are levelled… #3 being the most severe
case!

I dig the layering and the simple compositions. :cool:

On this screen they all appear out of focus, including the watermark. Compositions are generally pleasing, though in all 3 it might have been nice to get a little lower for a bit more foreground.

I'm not sure if they're out of focus or just really low resolution.

And wearing a thicker left sock might help keep the horizons level ;)

Welcome to the forum Tatum, I hope you are enjoying the forum so far!

I think Alistair is probably correct with them being low res rather than out of focus.
If I had to pick a shot to work with it would be one, because of the subtle rays from the clouds. I'd personally crop the image just above the clouds as the sun is really detracting from the shot (it almost looks like the tailpipe flare from rocket launch).

Light is basically everything, waiting for the sun to hit those clouds, would scatter the light in all directions and would probably add some subtle colours too (even if you could not hang around till sunset).
With the sun high it will destroy all the shadow and all the little things that give definition and contrast to the shot.
Bringing down lower might give you another perspective and sitting the camera on a tripod (or stand it on one of the pillars of the groyne) will also help with sharpness. Check you have sharp focus about 1/3 of the way into the shot and keep a fairly narrow aperture, use the timer release on the camera if its stood on a stable surface and let the shutter adjust itself (aperture priority if you have it) .
You can buy (very cheaply) little levels that you fix to the hot shoe (Flash Mounting) on your camera these will help you keep the camera level. Some cameras have levels built in or alternatively keep an eye on the guide lines in the viewfinder or display and line up the horizontal lines with the horizon.
With regard to position of the horizon, try to not make it a dead split 50.50 down the middle of the frame although that is often a matter of taste, dead splits only really work well with mirror reflections.

I hope this helps a little, there is always a lot to learn and this forum is a good place to do that.

And wearing a thicker left sock might help keep the horizons level ;)
Classic!, I'll have to keep a variety of different thicknesses of hike socks in the camera bag now(y)

Back