Beavers

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
A colony of ten Eurasian Beavers is to be created in a ten-acre parkland area in Ealing, London. The idea is that they will help reduce flooding and control vegetastion..people will be able to take a Beaver-watching trip. City Hall,London is contributing £39,000 towards the scheme. Two beavers were introduced to an area in Enfield last year but one died of natural causes... just three months after arriving. They'd called it Justin (Justin Bieber ? )The female has found a new mate.

I am mystified how the enthusiasts can claim that flooding large areas is going to reduce flooding without being asked to explain their nonsense..
When ground is waterlogged by definition it can't retain any more.
Also they never stop felling trees. I don't think they appreciate the problems they will cause by obsessive blocking of waterways and felling several trees every week.
In other countries they have to regularly cull them and blow up dams with dynamite - because they cause flooding - and can cause devastating flash floods when the rickety dams give way without warning.
No doubt that won't be allowed here because anything that causes land managers major problems and expense is clearly to be encouraged.

Last edited:
It works by allowing areas that aren't full of houses etc that were stupidly allowed to be built on floodplains to flood instead then attenuating the flow so the water courses can cope without overtopping?

Can they cause issues left uncontrolled? sure but by managing the dams the catastrophic flooding can be largely mitigated.

Back