weekly Bebop's 52 2021 - Week 52: Showcase

Week 36: Unnatural and technique - Free lensing (catch up)

...a very tricky theme I thought. I got inspiration when trying to put my contact lenses in whilst wearing a funky pink top... With my camera set up and magnifying glass in hand,it was an awful lot harder than I anticipated - you really need more hands and getting it in focus was so difficult. I'd wanted to get the lens on my finger, but ran out of hands. It's an old contact lens - hence all the dust... everywhere.

20210921-P9210015_1_week36.jpg

Here was the one with the funky pink top reflecting in it.

20210921-P9210021_1_week36.jpg

An interesting experiment and well shot!

Week 37: Natural

Usually I'd be in my element with this theme, but I am full of cold and want to keep up - so here is a snap from the garden of a bee in his natural environment. Taken with the lensbaby sweet 80 - would have been better with my macro lens, but that was what was attached.

20210922-BCR_6950_1_week37.jpg

And here is my cat who naturally runs up to me when I'm lying on the floor taking photos and starts rolling round in front of me... not easy focusing on a moving target with a lensbaby

20210922-BCR_6975_1_openWith-1_week37.jpg

Last edited:
The colours in the bee shot are nice, and I really like the sense of movement in the cat pic, it sharpens up in just the right place.

Unnatural - I think you're right with the blue over the pink. I think you're being over critical regarding the crop, it's good as it is.
Natural - Lensbaby shot for me. Because... 1. Lensbaby, 2. Cat, 3. Not a bug ;)

The colours in the bee shot are nice, and I really like the sense of movement in the cat pic, it sharpens up in just the right place.
Thanks Nick
Unnatural - I think you're right with the blue over the pink. I think you're being over critical regarding the crop, it's good as it is.
Natural - Lensbaby shot for me. Because... 1. Lensbaby, 2. Cat, 3. Not a bug ;)
Thanks Tim. It was just as I scrolled the page up, I thought 'oh that looks better!'
You and bugs :LOL:

Nice little Bee shot, err Bee :D

Unnatural
I like the blue shot. It looks a bit like one of those water droplet, splash shots.

Natural
It's the cat shot for me. I like the lens distortion.

I think the Lensbaby has worked very well for the cat. Would make a really unusual wall print.

Unnatural
I like the blue shot. It looks a bit like one of those water droplet, splash shots.

Natural
It's the cat shot for me. I like the lens distortion.
Thanks Dominic. Oh yes, I see what you mean! One day I'll have a go at those!

I think the Lensbaby has worked very well for the cat. Would make a really unusual wall print.
Thanks Ian. It's just so difficult to focus on something moving! Now you mention it, I might have a go at printing it. I'd have liked a little more of her in the frame. Hmm, I'm not sure it's sharp enough when I inspect it closely.

Week 38 Autumn

I am still full of cold - not covid.... excuses first ha ha! Anyway, I've spent the whole week good for nothing. Today I tried a short walk to get a shot, and this was about the best I could manage for the theme. I carried my tripod intending to do some stacking, but as my children would say, 'cba' when it came to it. I liked that there was a fly on it and the fruit looked suitably glossy. I've never really liked blackberries because of the seeds.

One good thing is that it reminded me how good this lens is at getting close to a subject. I had forgotten.

20210929-P9290035_1_week38.jpg

Last edited:
Very autumnal. Also think the green background contrasts nicely with the subject. Considering your limitations (and mindset :)) you've done really well!

Its a good pic of the blackberries not a fan either of eating them either they ruin a good apple pie

Im with you about cba at the minute hoping for a better theme tomorrow

Its a good pic of the blackberries not a fan either of eating them either they ruin a good apple pie

Im with you about cba at the minute hoping for a better theme tomorrow
Ha I agree! It's a shame as there are loads round here. Maybe they can be sieved out.

Yes let's hope next week we can ba!

Mmmmmm PIE!

Nice shot.

Week 39: Doors

Still full of cold, so not venturing far. I have a dilapidated garage in my garden which has been due for imminent demolition for some time. I'm actually quite fond of the peeling paint. This was taken with a Lensbaby Sweet 80, and has been run through Film Pack 5... trying to add spice to some old doors :D

20211004-BCR_6986_3_week39.jpg

I thought you'd snuck into my garden and taken a shot of my garage door then ;)
There's yeas of life left in that !
Very nice pealing white on blue and taken with one f the wonder lenses that are lensbaby (y)

I thought you'd snuck into my garden and taken a shot of my garage door then ;)
There's yeas of life left in that !
Very nice pealing white on blue and taken with one f the wonder lenses that are lensbaby (y)
:ROFLMAO: I wasn't sure if I should be hiding my head in shame. We had wrens nesting inside this year and they used the rotten door to get in.

It actually would make a great backdrop except someone built the garage in the wrong place.

due for imminent demolition for some time.
It nothing that a few sheets of 80 grit and tin of Dulux won't sort out (y)
Lots of textures in there, I like it :)

Just needs a lick of paint, not sure if its blue or white.
I have seen worst.
Pete

I like that.

Thought you'd gone for the free lens technique there.

The only thing that bugs me is that it's ever-so-slightly off-centre.
Hee hee. It is. I could have cropped a bit off the right, but couldn't move any further left. Ideally I'd have used a tripod to slightly square it up a bit better too, but it was a quick dash out between rain showers.

It nothing that a few sheets of 80 grit and tin of Dulux won't sort out (y)
Lots of textures in there, I like it :)
I like it as it is - don't people pay lots of money for backdrops like that? :LOL: It will be pulled down though.... eventually.

Just needs a lick of paint, not sure if its blue or white.
I have seen worst.
Pete
The blue is underneath and white on top, and possibly more white under the blue? :)
The window frame is metal, so that is pure rust!

Looks like the sort of garage that could have all sorts of hidden treasures inside, perhaps some abandoned cars!

Week 40: Architecture
Falling behind. Still not been well and barely been out.. I am much better now though and hope to catch up soon. So here is a shot from the archives. Liverpool waterfront taken from the ferry before we left for Ireland. I should probably re-process, but time is very short at the minute.

Now to see what this last week's theme is....

20211013City at Night_week40.jpg

That's a nice shot, clear and vibrant colours coming out well in the low light

I'm glad you are feeling better Bee (y)
And I do like a nice night shot :)

Lovely shot.. I now can't stop seeing the face in the blue and pink lit building on the right!

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. It was a challenge, but it had to be done. I lived in Liverpool for many years, so will always have a soft spot for it.

@HelenC I am the same. That face ha ha!!

Week 41: Red

I have been out with my camera a couple of times this week. A practice at focus stacking on a pretty poor specimen of fly agaric, but it was the best I could find.

20211016-week41.jpg

And a trip to Stourhead. Not quite as much red there as I hoped. Just about managed to escape the forecast rain, but it was a blowy, dark day.

20211019-BC134166_1_week41.jpg

I do like a fungi photo, and as Cobra says, even in that state it's a good find and a nice photo - fly agaric is hard to find at the best of times, and getting one in pristine condition is even rarer!
Definitely the preferred shot for me because it's more unusual.

Both those "reds" work really well, although you can't beat a good Fly Agaric. I'm starting to get too old to get down low enough for them (actually getting down is easy, it's the getting back up). I guess flippy screens help :)

It looks good, even in its disheveled state (y)
I'd like to say, it's just like the photographer, but you know... :exit::LOL:

I do like a fungi photo, and as Cobra says, even in that state it's a good find and a nice photo - fly agaric is hard to find at the best of times, and getting one in pristine condition is even rarer!
Definitely the preferred shot for me because it's more unusual.
Yes I never seem to see one that doesn't look a bit past it!... a bit like the photographer again ha ha! Thanks Simon.

Both those "reds" work really well, although you can't beat a good Fly Agaric. I'm starting to get too old to get down low enough for them (actually getting down is easy, it's the getting back up). I guess flippy screens help :)
Thanks Ian. I know what you mean.Thank heavens for flippy out screens, otherwise I might still be there :ROFLMAO:

Back