Undecided Bedford - Location advice needed !

Welcome to Bedford mate!

As for your question... Not a lot going on really nearby, there's the embankement through the town centre, plenty of street photography if thats your thing. Other than that we have the Cardington Hangers, elstow moot hall where John bunyan was born I believe. Wildlife wise theres priory marina, and marston vale too.

Ive recently started doing a lot of walking locally in the hope of finding some landscape locations but nothing particularly inspiring so far im afraid.

Bit of an old thread but I live in Bedford, well, Kempston actually, but here's a few locations that are all within a 10-15 minute drive from Bedford.

Segenhoe Church - old, abandoned, roofless relic near the M1 juntion 13
Clophill church - as above just off the A6
Warden Abbey - Old warden, former monastry now English heritage site and vinyard
Stevington Windmill
A nice panorama shot can be had at Lidlington overlooking Brogborough lake. PM me if you want any further details of how to find.
Houghton House at Ampthill
Plenty of wildlife locations on and around the Great Ouse, most notably Felmersham nature reserve and Radwell lakes, which is one of the primary spots for wetland birds in the county.
Also, quite a few nice bridged on the great Ouse.

I'll add my Flickr link and you'll no doubt find a few more places in there.

Great Barford bridge is very pleasant, you can also wander alongside the river back towards Bedford.

As Donnie mentioned Cardington Hangars are an obvious choice as is Stevington windmill

My favourite place around Bedford is the old airfield and Glen Miller museum at RAF Twinwood
Its also the site of the Twinwood festival, more details here https://www.twinwoodevents.com/museums/

A coupe more:

RSPB the lodge is only a fifteen minute drive away at Sandy.
And very near to that is Broom Gravel pits. They've had all sorts of rarities here.
Slightly further afield is Sundon hills, Sharpenhoe Clappers and Dunstable downs, all good for landscape.

These sites lists some very good locations for bird life and what you're likely to find there.

http://bedsbirdclub.org.uk/bedfordshire-birding-sites/
http://bedsbirds.blogspot.co.uk/

There's also a few museums (the OP did say weird stuff)

Higgins and The panacea Museum.

Last edited:
A coupe more:

RSPB the lodge is only a fifteen minute drive away at Sandy.
And very near to that is Broom Gravel pits. They've had all sorts of rarities here.
Slightly further afield is Sundon hills, Sharpenhoe Clappers and Dunstable downs, all good for landscape.

These sites lists some very good locations for bird life and what you're likely to find there.

http://bedsbirdclub.org.uk/bedfordshire-birding-sites/
http://bedsbirds.blogspot.co.uk/

There's also a few museums (the OP did say weird stuff)

Higgins and The panacea Museum.

The Panacea Museum is fascinating, gardens are very tranquil and a great place to wile away a couple of hours.

Unless your name is Dave Hodgson, Bedford is dire. Very little going for it asides from street photography with a high probability of confrontation if you prefer the 'up close and personal' approach. The best things for me are the train station and bus station, MK, London, Cambridge and Oxford are within easy reach.

Unless your name is Dave Hodgson, Bedford is dire. Very little going for it asides from street photography with a high probability of confrontation if you prefer the 'up close and personal' approach. The best things for me are the train station and bus station, MK, London, Cambridge and Oxford are within easy reach.

Fair enough with London, Cambridge and Oxford, but Milton Keynes?

Is the railway station notable because the bus station is surely the worst feature of Bedford, 60's brutalism

Fair enough with London, Cambridge and Oxford, but Milton Keynes?

Is the railway station notable because the bus station is surely the worst feature of Bedford, 60's brutalism
MK's fun if you like urban juxtaposition. Bedford's bus station is otherworldly. And hideous. Millions recently spent on refurbishment at the local tax payers expense. Despite that, it maintains the constant odour of stale urine, chip fat, cheap alcohol and body odour. It's regular denizens are generally less hostile than those found in some of the less salubrious quarters of Bedford, but I suspect this may be due to their proficiency at begging to aid their alcoholism/drug habits.

I was born on Bedford, Goldington actually, and would agree with Adrian that it's not the most inspiring of towns or counties. I recommend hopping over into Northamptonshire and you'll find that much more inspiring. Milton Keynes does have it;s merits and I photograph there occasionally.

I was born on Bedford, Goldington actually
I'm Goldington born and bred too.

On reflection, asides from risky-street, the best thing Bedford and its surroundings probably have to offer at the moment is Red Kites. They're quite prolific. There was a nesting pair in the trees that border the cricket ground and The Spinney last year. Not 200 yds from Goldington school. Quite beautiful to watch.

They're quite prolific in the area. I hope it stays that way.

Milton Keynes?
:bat: :p

Despite that, it maintains the constant odour of stale urine, chip fat, cheap alcohol and body odour.
MK is not "all about" CMK and in truth I avoid it as much as possible, there are a myriad of lakes if you like water fowl, The Peace pagoda, Buddhist temple and Medicine wheel are interesting places, ( all at the same location)
free apart from parking. Old windmill old churches ...

[QUOTE="Cobra, post: 8110437, member: 1870"MK is not "all about" CMK and in truth I avoid it as much as possible, [/QUOTE]

@Cobra, I was referring to Bedford, not CMK. I quite like CMK.

Recently moved down to Bedford and have a hit a location "wall". Not very inspired by what I've seen... Anyone know of any little gems down this way? Nature / landscape / weird stuff?
Hi @wil - just looked at your Flickr stream. One thing that might interest you is the Bedford River Festival. It's fairly big by festival standards and there are plenty of people in various states of inebriation who'll happily let you take their photo. It's bi-annual and planned for 14/15 July 2018. Takes place down The Embankment.

Ah apologies, I miss-read your post :)
Not a problem. If you're ever in Bedford and fancy a tour of its less captivating attractions, I'd be more than happy to oblige. Perhaps we could organise a meet? Inexpensive camera gear and a broad range of inoculations a must. Bring your own face mask.

Jesus, it's not that bad.

No its not, these people have obviously never seen or been to a really dire place.
Have a look at Barrow, Middlesbrough or new towns like Stevenage and Harlow

If you're ever in Bedford and fancy a tour of its less captivating attractions,
I used to work for a (pest control) company based in Bedford, I've seen plenty of unsavoury sights around that area thanks :D
The closest I get to it these days is the A428 By-pass as I'm heading towards the A1, thats close enough these days :D

Recently moved down to Bedford and have a hit a location "wall". Not very inspired by what I've seen... Anyone know of any little gems down this way? Nature / landscape / weird stuff?
Wrest Park, English Heritage property.

I don’t know Bedford but you’re not that far from the Chilterns AONB which is full of landscape opportunities. Also looks like Barton Hills Nature Reserve would be worth a look

I don't find Bedford particoularly inspiring for photos, but there is an excellent jazz night on Mondays at the White horse pub.
I hope this helps :)

Back