Been asked to take pictures of my friends daughter at a horse show saturday

Maybe that's where the confusion lies, I'm looking at it from an 'event scenario' POV. No offence taken btw, we're all grown ups ;)

Completely understood Phil. The horse world is a strange one when it comes to photography and the unwritten rules can be a bit of a mine field in terms of ethics or manners!

OK just to clear up some confusion I'm going to copy a post that I made on Tori's Moral Dilemma thread, which might help:

There's been a growing trend in certain equestrian sports over the past few years (BD and BSJA particularly) of people turning up, shooting, and then flogging their photos either directly out of the boot of their car with a Selphy battery powered printer (or similar), or leafleting every lorry in the park with a flyer and a website address.

The real problem here isn't people like Tori who get asked 'that's a nice snap, can I have a copy?', it's photographers trying to set up an under-the-counter business at an event thereby half inching the official photographer's business.

Let's face it, the woman handing Tori her email address isn't likely to assume that she's a working photographer expecting payment, but rather someone who is a keen hobbiest and happy to share her images - as is the norm now-a-days.

Horsey events tend to attract a lot of medium to high range kit because, although every equestrian always claims to be poor, there's a lot of money floating about in the market. Considering the scale of some events full policing would be nigh on impossible but that doesn't mean that notice isn't taken of those hefting around a 300mm or similar.

From an organisers point of view, at my own event I'll know who the official photographers are, who the accredited press are and more than likely who is a 'team photographer'. It's fairly easy to spot who is following one particular set of riders and who is covering everybody in the ring. Likewise their shooting style and body language will normally differentiate between a happy snapper and someone who really knows what they are doing. That's in open park of about 350 acres with 400 horses and upwards of a thousand people.

Anyone who ticks all the wrong boxes will get quietly, but politely, asked who they are photographing for. Give the wrong answers and they will be asked to pack up their kit and desist. Push it further and they will have their entrance fee refunded and removed from the site, including unaccredited Press in the past.

In conclusion, low volume photo-sharers aren't something that the average event photographer can do much about. They threaten the industry by reducing the number of purchases as a whole, because the potential customer has their FB photo (they're rarely printed unless exceptionally good) and is happy with that regardless of quality. As Ade points out, the only way to overcome this threat is to make your images quantumly better than anything that they can achieve themselves, and with competitive pricing.

The more immediate threat is the under-counter merchant, and there are plenty of those about. There are two basic ways of preventing them from operating:

i) Report to the event organiser when they are on site and request their removal

ii) Get their commercial website details and report to the organisers post event. BE own the IP rights of all photographs taken at an affiliated event, suborned to the organiser of that event and thence to accredited press and official photographers. Hence they have the right to issue a take down notice for any commercially available photographs where an agreement hasn't been signed. This hasn't been exercised as yet, but it's sitting there waiting in the wings.......

Here's who I would and wouldn't worry about:

No:
Joe public happy snapping.
Team followers/photographers - from digicam, mobile and P&S users through to high end kit inc broadcast quality video.
The official photographer + assistants.

Yes:
Press - accreditation required (Non acc Paparazzi can be a problem)
Anyone offering open on or off site sales other than the official photographer.
Commercial shooting for stock/advertising etc - licence & permission required
Anybody attempting to shoot from a moving vehicle.
Anybody from the Yes group who is clearly incompetent around horses.
Anybody taking photographs that are out of the norm - ie remote cameras on fences, close up wide angle on the course etc etc

Grey area:
Independent photographers who charge a commercial rate for bespoke shoots- ie covering one horse, combination or stable for payment. There are plenty of set ups that offer this service, either to get images that the official photographer is unlikely to be able to get, or for sales/promotion purposes. I would expect this type of photographer to at least drop an email off to the organiser so they are aware of their presence - otherwise they are likely to get questioned.

Hopefully that gives a slightly better understanding of what's happening.
This mainly applies to Showing, BE, BD and BSJA style events rather than racing/P2P where the rules are different. Polo is another kettle of fish entirely!

Kipax, maybe you should spend less time announcing to the World that your here and concentrate more on just being here.

That comment is bang out of order. Tony is incredibly helpful, and God alone knows how he has the time to point prospective sports photographers in the right direction on here considering the volume of work that he does.

An apology might not go amiss.

Kipax, maybe you should spend less time announcing to the World that your here and concentrate more on just being here.

I think Mark has said what was necessary, consider this the official version

snip

Here's who I would and wouldn't worry about:

No:
Joe public happy snapping.
Team followers/photographers - from digicam, mobile and P&S users through to high end kit inc broadcast quality video.
The official photographer + assistants.

I'd be a bit miffed if you turned up at my local rugby club and didn't come over and introduce yourself to me. Not that I'd say no to anyone shooting, I just think it's polite to say hi

Yup I completely agree Kelly, and in your circumstances that's absolutely spot on.

However those comments are about medium to large scale equestrian events where slightly different norms apply! :D

Ok, I didn't realise they had teams at equestrian events

We're getting way off topic here

I'd be a bit miffed if you turned up at my local rugby club and didn't come over and introduce yourself to me. Not that I'd say no to anyone shooting, I just think it's polite to say hi

Hi Kelly,

Don't take this the wrong way but who are you at your local rugby club. I have photographed rugby at god know how many rugby clubs in South Wales, in my time as a press photographer, and again if I spent my time looking for you to say hello to I'd never get anything done. Most Saturdays I would have to cover two games of rugby or football having to drive, find a parking place, walk to the ground, get in and start shooting right away, it's just not possible to spend time looking for people to say hello I'm Joe Blogs, the local press tog. Most clubs are very grateful to have us there in the first place to give them a bit of press coverage.

Yes, sorry, that was my fault for going off topic!

But very quickly, to answer your question Grayo, I'm the club photographer and stick out as we only have a handful of spectators and a very small club - the press photographers from our area normally come and have a chat to say hello and make me jealous with their kit! lol. My post was slightly tongue in cheek :D

Now, back on topic people :p

Yes, sorry, that was my fault for going off topic!

But very quickly, to answer your question Grayo, I'm the club photographer and stick out as we only have a handful of spectators and a very small club - the press photographers from our area normally come and have a chat to say hello and make me jealous with their kit! lol. My post was slightly tongue in cheek :D

Now, back on topic people :p

LOL, That explains it. In that case yes I would say hello to you LOL, but I think it's fair to say as soon as I walked on to the field you would know who I was as I used to get around quite a bit.

Do you supply pictures to your local press by any chance or do you just shoot for the club.

Lol, I just shoot for the club, the papers won't pay so I don't submit

But back on topic

I had a similar issue the other week, the event photographer was looking for an assistant but I wasn't quick enough in applying, when I said this to my friend who had put me in touch with the stables etc, she said to come along as she wanted pictures, I just dropped a quick email to the event photographer mentioning this but never heard back so didn't go at all

We're getting way off topic here

I can see your point, but I'm not so sure that we are.

The original technical question has been answered, but we've now branched out into an area that's just as important for a photographer to consider and that's the question of ethics; which is where amateurs and professionals can often collide.

Like most sports, equestrianism has its own way of doing things, and I would have thought that a healthy (and well tempered) discussion about the issues surrounding an area where business can collide with pleasure can only be of benefit. :D

Last edited:
I would have thought you will at least go and sign in at some official location. I find now that virtual every event I go to either as official tog or just happy snapping if there are under 18 they require you to sign in.

I know the Young Athletes League require EVERYONE with a camera or camera enabled phone to sign in, at last years finals if you did not sign in to get a wrist band then security were very quick in stopping to taking photo, yes you with the cell phone STOP or leave.

I would have thought you will at least go and sign in at some official location. I find now that virtual every event I go to either as official tog or just happy snapping if there are under 18 they require you to sign in.

I know the Young Athletes League require EVERYONE with a camera or camera enabled phone to sign in, at last years finals if you did not sign in to get a wrist band then security were very quick in stopping to taking photo, yes you with the cell phone STOP or leave.

Thats a new one on me, I've never had to sign in at any game or event I have covered.

Re: The bands, are you saying if you signed in and received a band you were allowed to photograph, and if you didn't sign in and have a band you weren't' allowed to photograph, can't see the point really. :shrug:

Last edited:
Thats a new one on me, I've never had to sign in at any game or event I have covered.

Re: The bands, are you saying if you signed in and received a band you were allowed to photograph, and if you didn't sign in and have a band you weren't' allowed to photograph, can't see the point really. :shrug:

Yes different coloured wrist band giving different access. No band no photography. I know you have to sign in at the local BMX track too.

Yes different coloured wrist band giving different access. No band no photography. I know you have to sign in at the local BMX track too.

It's going crazy isn't it, where's it all going to end. I remember a few years ago I covered the funeral of a well known Neath RFC player. After the funeral a few rather large blokes approched me and another photographer from another newspaper, and demanded to see what we had shot, Phill, the other photographer started to show them what he had shot and was being told to delete that one delete this one and so on which he did, It came to my turn and I told them I wasn't deleting anything and if they laid a finger on me I'd have them up for assault, this help by the fact I had a magistrate standing next to me at the time, but I did make a hasty retreat to the car and shot off a bit quick. :LOL:

In general it is going crazy but when shooting events with minors involved you should really check with the organiser, just in case a child in under any Child Protection Order.

I've been to events as accredited photographer, and been instructed not to take images of a specific child for this reason.

In general it is going crazy but when shooting events with minors involved you should really check with the organiser, just in case a child in under any Child Protection Order.

I've been to events as accredited photographer, and been instructed not to take images of a specific child for this reason.

We have the same problem with schools in our area especially when we are shooting whole class pictures. It's happened in the past where we have shot each class in the whole school then the head teacher suddenly realizes that one child in one class picture should not have been in there, whole picture wasted.

Sorry all we've gone right of topic with this now, got a bit carried away. Apologies to OP for sort of highjacking his thread.

Maybe that's where the confusion lies, I'm looking at it from an 'event scenario' POV. No offence taken btw, we're all grown ups ;)

I can imagine if the OP rang the organiser and said "can i ask your permission to come and take some photos of my friend at X event" they would laugh at him !

I am only looking at this from an event point of view and the OP isnt going to be a huge competitor at said event if they havent even done this before (no offence OP, im sticking up for you, really ;) )
I cant stop family and friends taking images at events, thats just one of those things, half the time the competitors with family photos come and have a look and end up buying one anyway !

I second a lot of the advice here
I stick with AV most of the time and look at your EC. 1/500th absolute minimum but shouldnt be a problem if you are outdoors

Last edited:
maybe you should delete my thread as people obviously have diffent views and all i wanted was some advice not a slagging match. i see it as if theres a sign no cameras not just a horse shows but in anywhere then you dont take your camera if theres no sign then how can they stop you. they would laugh at me down the phone if i asked if i could take my own camera to a horse show to take pictures of my friends daughter and horse. if you go to a horse show and stand by the ring 99% of people have there camera's out.

thanks DemiLion for your post i will try to remember it all.

Last edited:
No need to delete your thread Ross, you asked a perfectly genuine question and posters have replied with what they think is the best possible advice. Everybody is entitled to an oppinion and everybody has the right to challenge it, sometimes it get's out of hand but at the end of the day we are all grown up's and have to learn to live with it.

I hope you have gained enough information from this thread to have a successful shoot, perhaps you can post some of the pictures here so we can all see them.

Regards

Graham

I'll echo the above Ross. Post like this make TP what it is, a rich and vast melting pot of ideas and opinions, just like being down the pub but without the beer. Maybe the mods can get onto this liquid shortage problem ;)

Listen to advice Ross, take from it what you need, enjoy the day and I hope you get something good from it all.

Phil.

i can kinda see where kipax is coming from if there was some exchange of cash for services but i dont think this is the case here.

there are usually plenty of other SLR's at the events we do, the most they get from me is a stern look or the 120-300 skimming their head if they encroach on my space :LOL:

on topic though id echo some of what has already been said, a reasonable shutter speed to freeze the horse. try and time it just so the rear hooves are leaving the ground. check your backgrounds although its pretty hard to find a spot to cover a couple of jumps and have great backgrounds on all of them.

personally id sling it in aperture priority and select a DOF that is enough to cover the horse nose to tail on a 3/4 shot. adjust the ISO to get the shutter up to where you need it. AI SERVO mode, center spot with focus on the AF-ON button is also your friend.

Gee wiz, there is no need to ask permission at horse events, I have done loads......and the pros just accept that there are loads of people taking photos. Why the hell did we get into this, its irrelevant to the ops question.

back on topic I use a min of 640th, and use program with auto ISO. This way I can be sure I get the right shutter speed without messing about, if there is surplus light I get a higher shutter speed and smaller aperture for increased dof.

Higher jumps are easier as the timing is less critical, there is little point in using md90 drive as 4.5 fps is too slow, but you can machine gun with something like my D300s at 8fps. Only issue there is you end up deleting and sorting large amounts of images......with a bit of practice timing is pretty easy, I always prefocus on the jump. With a bit of care you can normally find a spot that will give you 3 jumps, make sure they are not one after the other as you wont have time to reframe the shot.

Good luck, hope you enjoy it!!!

Don't rely on machine gunning horse shots, for example dressage on a lot of bodies the fps matches the stride of the pony so if you mis time the first the rest will be out too.

(That and its bloody annoying when all you can here is clickclickclickclickclick coming from one side of the arena. Damn sure its distracting for the horse too)

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE getting your timing.

see the logic in what you are saying, depends on the course, but I have found that prefocussing works for me, we all find our own techniques.

rarely use motordrive, as you say practice timimg, its not that difficult in reality.

Grayo said:
:agree:

I also don't see why he has to ask the organisers permission, he has been asked to photograph (I assume) a rider and horse by the riders family so he won't be stepping on the event togs toes. I hardly think the organisers are going to walk around telling everybody who has their cameras out to put them away. :shrug:

Bang on the nail. No need to ask permission unless you:

a) Intent to take photos if everyone there for retail purposes.
b) If you are going to walk round the course with your camera in tow getting in the way.

As for recommended shooting, I've never done it so can't really say but.... If it were me shooting... I would use a long lens [ish] 70-200 and try get a few close shots and a few wide. Settings wise, freeze the action mid jump, 1/500th Sec or faster f4 or faster depending on what you want from it.. ISO would be about 400 for that, maybe 640 depending on the daylight/time if day/ etc...

Either way, just relax and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
For dressage I will always use single shot as timing is really simple and burst mode doesn't gain you anything.

For jumping it depends what I am doing, if I am working I will only take a single shot but keeping the camera in drive mode and watching the horse with my other eye so if I see it take longer than I expected which happens from time to time I just hold down the shutter and get a sequence so one is timed right. If I am out with my sister I will use drive mode for the jumps as she likes having the sequence and often likes the later shots in the sequence just as much as the more traditional shots, but that is 10fps so its fast enough for that!

I also don't get pre focusing, quite often I will get photos over almost every jump by using the autofocus that I paid good money for!!

For dressage I will always use single shot as timing is really simple and burst mode doesn't gain you anything.

Not that I disbelieve you but I've never seen anyone get a good dressage image with one shot. :cool:

Not that I disbelieve you but I've never seen anyone get a good dressage image with one shot. :cool:

I shoot all dressage one shot !! I usually shoot wirelessly when doing my indoor dressage and i dont want to send hundreds of images through and cant delete when they transfer wirelessly, so i make sure i get the right shots and use single shot drive

284896_10150313964086079_683586078_9122634_5003906_n.jpg

268322_230943290272487_100000704543723_761591_1412179_n.jpg

281269_230944520272364_100000704543723_761618_4977563_n.jpg

What I should have said is 'I've never seen anyone in real life, live, as in standing next to me, get these shots every time with one shot. Many have said they do it but when asked to prove it on the spot they fail.

I can do it reasonably well with top dressage riders but lower level 'pony club stuff', no can do.

Re the H&H link

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l600/fallenlightphot/Work/hh_230611.jpg

Some of my stuff on P42-43. :D

What I should have said is 'I've never seen anyone in real life, live, as in standing next to me, get these shots every time with one shot. Many have said they do it but when asked to prove it on the spot they fail.

I can do it reasonably well with top dressage riders but lower level 'pony club stuff', no can do.

yes the technique on lower level is a little harder to catch :LOL: but while the mk3 is on low cont i never use more than 1 shot.

ah right, i'll take a look later :D

Back