Beginner accessories

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Hope everyone is well :) I'm due to go on a holiday up to Scotland next week and I have managed to loan a nice camera to use with a few lenses. Wanting to take care of the equipment but without wanting to invest mega bucks into accessories when I hand it all back I'm in a little bit of a pickle.

1. Bag; I've spent a good part of the day searching for bags, and I think this one will fit my needs without breaking the bank (link to Yuhan Oxford bag)

2. Next on the list was a tripod, and I have to say this is very hard work to find something that looks sturdy, and lightweight. From a little bit of reading on here I see that is a common dilemma. I've looked at adverts for manfrotto, peak design (that looks great but the price is way out the budget), and adverts are popping up for K&F Concept on my social media now lol. I'd happily buy a second hander to get the price down so long as it is good. Seen one of these not too far from where I live going for £50 (manfrotto befree tripod)

3. I'd like to experiment with some filters. I've just been on a little workshop, but it was fast paced and didn't really go over them from start to finish. I'm sure everyone will cringe at this next link as they're so cheap, but I thought perhaps I could buy some cheap ones which are a universal fit as the lenses I have access to are; 58mm, 67mm and 77mm. ((link to ND filter kit)

I can't look in the for sale thread here yet as I don't have enough posts on the forum to be non spammy. You can see I'm really looking on a budget as I don't own the kit, but naturally want to take care of it and have a bit of fun experimenting as I am a complete beginner.

Thoughts, and suggestions welcomed.
Many thanks :)

Enjoy the trip and have a great time.

I can only offer my general thoughts.....

There is the oft stated nirvana of tripods ~ cheap, sturdy/stable & lightweight. However, you cannot have "all three"......yes, any two but with a compromise on the third quotient!

As for filters, IMO anything that you put in front of a lens that is not of decent optical standard will have a (minor?) deleterious on image quality. So perhaps similar to the tripod 'question' when talking of "cheap & high quality" .....they don't go together. But I have no idea whether the filters you link to are 'worth buying'?

Lastly, just remember one thing about photography......it can lead to a serious illness of the wallet caused by GAS :LOL:

PS what camera and lenses have borrowed?

Hi Box Brownie

Thanks for replying :). I figured that would be the general response from my previous searching. The thing is, as I don't own the equipment it feels counter productive to splash out a lot of money on accessories when I'm going to return it. I could of course invest with the intent to buy something really nice in the future.

The bag is essential and for £50 I'm sure it will come in handy regardless. Also the tripod is likely to be handy for any general camera.

The kit I have borrowed is a Canon 5D Mark IV, 24 - 70mm, 70 - 200mm and a 35mm lens. So it's a nice camera I have been allowed to borrow. Sadly there are no filters for me to loan, as I understand the point of putting cheaper objects in front of the lens, but also paying a few hundred pound on filters of different sizes / diameters just means it's all going to mount up.

The cheap filters sound sensible and are unlikely to be vile, might be better going for circular polarising ones so you can twiddle to get the effect you want ....just be careful not to cross-thread the lens screwing them in, given it's borrowed! The tripod may be useful but if you're not doing superlarge and precise landscapes I would trust to the IS on the lenses, you'll be fine. Trip sounds fun, where are you headed?

Thanks Dweeble :)

I'm new to filters but the ones we used on the workshop were square ones, with a graduated filter. That's one of the reasons I was looking at the universal kit, so I can possibly take some pics near the waterside and try to make it look still without overexposing the sky. If the screw on lenses do this, then maybe I could buy a couple instead and just swap them over (carefully).

Does anyone have any thoughts /experience on the tripod I shared above? Maybe I could share that in a tripod section of the forum if there is one?

Oh and places to stay are;

Lochawe
Isle of Skye
Somewhere just north of Aberfeldy and another I've forgotten!

:)

As far as filters are concerned you need a CPL , and at a push a 10 stop ND ( if you want soft water).
The weight of your kit will determine the tripod and head you need.
Personally I would not trust that kit on my Bee free , it will not be stable enough, you best bet might be to hire one

Have a good time, take lots of pix and don't forget the battery charger, spare battery and memory cards!

I have a K&F Concept tripod. It is the black and red one, very tall with one leg that comes off to become a monopod. It is ok, sturdy enough and does the job. It is stable enough to put a manfrotto fluid head on and shoot video. Probably not as stable as more expensive tripods out there I am sure, but as mentioned there is always a compromise. I have never felt it wasn't doing it's job.

I think it is this one.

I also have a smaller carbon fibre one, but only use that when I need extreme light weight kit (or often use it for a mic/sound recorder). Definitely not beefy enough for landscapes in Scotland!

T

Yes, you need a bag. The one you instanced, as with most bags and despite its description, will not be waterproof! So use it accordingly. We are talking about Scotland, after all.

I'd forget about the filters and the tripod. Just get familiar with the camera interface. Low light - you can up the iso. Mastering exposure and post processing reduces any need for grads.

Forget about gear! Focus your energies on making good images with what you've got. :)

Thanks droj. I know what you mean about the waterproofing. My hiking bag has a cover. From deeper reading the reviews on the bag on amazon it states it also has a rain cover, but I totally take your point as I looked at it and thought "that isn't waterproof!".

I understand that sentiment of learning how to use what I have access to, but any long exposure type of photo is probably going to be hard for me to achieve without a tripod, and that's something I'd like to have a play with :). Very interesting to hear that mastering exposure reduces the need for grads (is that entirely altogether, or more kind of 'in general' i.e. there are some circumstances where grads must be used?), I though the only way to get that still shot water and softened sky was through long exposure and grads but I've only had one go at doing it so far, so appreciate there might be lots of ways to achieve such pics! :)

Grads are essentially to even out exposure across the height (or width) of a shot. I wonder if you're confusing them with neutral density (ND) filters that darken the whole frame?

Milky skies and water? Yes you need a tripod for that. It's a much overrated and clichéd effect, though, that results in a pretty artificial look, and I wouldn't devote the rest of your life to it - however I suppose that you need to get it out of your system!

To be honest I'm getting a little muddled up with Grads, ND filters, and now polarizing. After your last message I searched a couple of youtube videos, discovered some more information (e.g. the polarizers), but then seen some vidoes on bracketing and how they irradicate the need for grads as essentially they can piece together the images. I also think there's some good points such as a grad will darken any mountains in the horizon line / lighthouses etc - which I had never considered before!

And yes, haha, maybe I do need to get it out of my system - lol, tickled me that. I get what you're saying and have seen it in lots of ikea style photos etc, but I have always wondered how it's achieved.

I am now considering just trying to learn the bracketing technique (which is a bit worrying as I don't have long before going and I'm learning at best from the beginning, though I do like a bit of a challenge). I am wondering if I need polarizers now though. Or indeed a variable ND instead of the grads (but that might be a contradiction to my idea of bracketing lol!) More info = more confusing! ha!

ND's / grads / variable nd's / polarizers / big square filters / screw on ones...the confusing list goes on!

It seems that the camera has an intervalometer,in which case you might find this of interest

For moving water I'd try a range of shutterspeeds then review the results later & see which effect appeals to you the most. Going the ND & tripod route you'll enable long exposures and big blur - but without, you can get slight blur that gives a sense of motion w/o being over-stylised. With a fast speed, meanwhile, you can 'freeze' the water, which might render it more like cast steel than something 'alive'.

A polariser is a must if you are anywhere near water IMO. It will cut through the glare and make a much more pleasing image. Also will reduce glare of leaves and make the sky look a deeper blue.
But everyone has a different view, as demonstrated above!

A polariser is a must if you are anywhere near water IMO. It will cut through the glare and make a much more pleasing image. Also will reduce glare of leaves and make the sky look a deeper blue.
But everyone has a different view, as demonstrated above!
I think that the poster is a beginner with a short time-scale, Tom, & I'm trying to save him attention overload!

After more reading I'm thinking a polarizer will be good, especially if I try to get some photos of water after watching some demos. I've seen this polarizer with ND filter built in from K&F (link). It's nearly £70 and I'd need to consider the fact I don't own the lens :O I could also buy two step up rings. If I don't go for this K&F combined one, I can look for a cheaper polarizer on it's own. For a polarizer and a couple of rings probably £35ish.

Did you consider buying some used gear? There’s a good range of Lee filters (holder, big stopper, grads and rings to attach to 67 and 77mm lens filter threads) on the forum here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lee-filters-clearout.726459/
Been on sale for a while so May be open to offers, plus if you’re buying multiple items might shave off a few more pounds.

advantage of used (especially when bought on forums like this one when you can see sellers photography posts for an idea of how they treat their gear / see it’s not dodgy like eBay!) is that it’s cheaper and likely to hold its value better. You can buy and then put it back up for sale in several weeks either for the same price or slightly less (depending how eager you are to get the money Back quickly). Same would go for tripod.

enjoy your trip. as someone who is often guilty of caring too much kit and trying to do every possible shot in one go, I wouldn’t overload your self too much. Better to stick to one setup and get some great photos with one lens / filter / tripod combo, then trying to do everything and ending up with lots of average results.

Just thinking with that level of kit the owner must have a decent bag ( I find most people have several….) is borrowing a bag not an option….? Alternatively what about an insert that could go in your rucsac/ hiking bag….( which I think you said had a waterproof cover?) that could save you a bit…..

Did you consider buying some used gear? There’s a good range of Lee filters (holder, big stopper, grads and rings to attach to 67 and 77mm lens filter threads) on the forum here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/lee-filters-clearout.726459/
Been on sale for a while so May be open to offers, plus if you’re buying multiple items might shave off a few more pounds.

advantage of used (especially when bought on forums like this one when you can see sellers photography posts for an idea of how they treat their gear / see it’s not dodgy like eBay!) is that it’s cheaper and likely to hold its value better. You can buy and then put it back up for sale in several weeks either for the same price or slightly less (depending how eager you are to get the money Back quickly). Same would go for tripod.

enjoy your trip. as someone who is often guilty of caring too much kit and trying to do every possible shot in one go, I wouldn’t overload your self too much. Better to stick to one setup and get some great photos with one lens / filter / tripod combo, then trying to do everything and ending up with lots of average results.

Thanks Tricky! Yes, I don't have enough post counts yet to see the for sale section, but I was a bit hopeful that someone would be selling several things in there that could help me. Used forums for other interests over the years and agree that they are great for the community and it's nice to help others :)

Just thinking with that level of kit the owner must have a decent bag ( I find most people have several….) is borrowing a bag not an option….? Alternatively what about an insert that could go in your rucsac/ hiking bag….( which I think you said had a waterproof cover?) that could save you a bit…..

Thanks Canon, it's from a company and they do have camera bags, but, they're square ones not backpacks as they don't go hiking :D hehe :), but thank you again for considering and trying to save me money! In the past I have taken a camera sling bag which I have put in my rucksack and it has worked OK but it is such a faff getting it out or swapping a lens, hence looking for a bag. I ordered a bunch of stuff yesterday so hoping it all arrives in time. Managed to use my amazon voucher which took the sting out a bit (only to be in creased with a car bill I had to pay yesterday too! lol)

Last edited:
My advice, filters can be useful like polarisers and neutral density but the good quality ones are expensive especially for that size filter threads which look like L glass. Try looking up techniques such as bracketing your exposure and then combining them in post. Whilst a tripod is extremely useful for landscapes, remember you have to carry all the gear on you so make sure you are physically able to carry all this for possibly long periods. ( every tripod head has a maximum weight it can support so check your tripod is capable of doing this before). This brings me onto the the camera bag, this has to be suitable for fitting all the gear and being comfortable for extended periods of time and as others pointed out if it rains it needs to offer protection for your gear. I think the main point is to enjoy the hike first and try out the photography as a secondary pursuit. As you learn you will find what suits you best.

I can't help with filters as I've never used one, but where they might be useful is for added protection for the lenses - especially as they're borrowed, but only if they're the screw in type. Just having something else between the lens and something which might scratch it is not a bad idea. But as said above, why have really good kit and put a cheap filter in front of it? Some of them will have a marked negative effect on your images. Like shooting through a dirty window.

Bracketing is useful but not with things that move. Essentially it takes three shots* (all after each other) under, at exposure and over exposure, but there is a time delay on these so combining anything moving quickly won't work in post. And there's only so much you can do with aperture in order to slow your shutter speeds. *At least, my 5D does, maybe cameras exist that can do it all in one instant.

If you genuinely want to get long exposures (in the day) then some sort of filter is a must. As is something to keep your camera steady.

WRT to tripods - I had an el cheapo one from Jessops that was about £30. It was fine for a point and shoot camera, or a phone. At a push, I'd use it with my old 600D and a cheap/light lens. But when I started getting better lenses it just wasn't sturdy enough.

Then once I got a full-frame camera, there was no way I'd trust that tripod to hold it all up. Plus, it wasn't that portable. You'd need to let it settle and shoot stuff on the 10-second timer so all the vibrations from pressing the shutter would stop. If I used it at it's lowest setting, with no extended legs showing it was way more sturdy.

I ended up spending way more than I ever thought I would on a Carbon one from Vanguard. It packs up small, and is very flexible in leg positions, but still, when you raise the centre column it's not that stable with a 5D and a 70-200 2.8 lens on it. I would view it in that instance as a support for the camera rather than as something to leave the camera on and walk away from. With the centre column down, it's way more stable.

But on windy Scottish hillside, would I trust it to not blow over? Unsure...

Does it need to be high up? Many people take beanbags and use rocks to plant their cameras on.

The rucksack you've linked to looks flexible enough for hiking - the key (for me) being that you could carry camera kit and it has a separate compartment for waterproofs and water etc. Although, I'd prefer to carry my water on the outside of any camera bag in case it leaks.

Plus - if you've not seen/handled the 5D and 70-200 yet, it's big. you'd need to check that it would actually fit in the bag.

As I'm sure you're already finding, it's an expensive hobby. I'd be tempted to buy neoprene pouches for the lenses and use a normal rucksack for this trip rather than spend money on a rucksack that you might never use again. Yes it will be more hassle getting stuff out, but you'll soon see if it's worth pursuing.

Not saying 'get these' but something along these lines. (LINK). If you decide 'sod this', and never do it again, you can always gift them to your friend.

Definitely make sure your travel insurance covers the kit. Not sure I'd lend my stuff to anyone else to take away.

Last edited:
My advice, filters can be useful like polarisers and neutral density but the good quality ones are expensive especially for that size filter threads which look like L glass. Try looking up techniques such as bracketing your exposure and then combining them in post. Whilst a tripod is extremely useful for landscapes, remember you have to carry all the gear on you so make sure you are physically able to carry all this for possibly long periods. ( every tripod head has a maximum weight it can support so check your tripod is capable of doing this before). This brings me onto the the camera bag, this has to be suitable for fitting all the gear and being comfortable for extended periods of time and as others pointed out if it rains it needs to offer protection for your gear. I think the main point is to enjoy the hike first and try out the photography as a secondary pursuit. As you learn you will find what suits you best.

Thanks :) I've heard of bracketing before, and need to learn where that function is on the camera to give it a go. As for the tripod, that's why I'm looking into a lightweight, compact travel size so I can lug it around with me :)

I can't help with filters as I've never used one, but where they might be useful is for added protection for the lenses - especially as they're borrowed, but only if they're the screw in type. Just having something else between the lens and something which might scratch it is not a bad idea. But as said above, why have really good kit and put a cheap filter in front of it? Some of them will have a marked negative effect on your images. Like shooting through a dirty window.

Bracketing is useful but not with things that move. Essentially it takes three shots* (all after each other) under, at exposure and over exposure, but there is a time delay on these so combining anything moving quickly won't work in post. And there's only so much you can do with aperture in order to slow your shutter speeds. *At least, my 5D does, maybe cameras exist that can do it all in one instant.

If you genuinely want to get long exposures (in the day) then some sort of filter is a must. As is something to keep your camera steady.

WRT to tripods - I had an el cheapo one from Jessops that was about £30. It was fine for a point and shoot camera, or a phone. At a push, I'd use it with my old 600D and a cheap/light lens. But when I started getting better lenses it just wasn't sturdy enough.

Then once I got a full-frame camera, there was no way I'd trust that tripod to hold it all up. Plus, it wasn't that portable. You'd need to let it settle and shoot stuff on the 10-second timer so all the vibrations from pressing the shutter would stop. If I used it at it's lowest setting, with no extended legs showing it was way more sturdy.

I ended up spending way more than I ever thought I would on a Carbon one from Vanguard. It packs up small, and is very flexible in leg positions, but still, when you raise the centre column it's not that stable with a 5D and a 70-200 2.8 lens on it. I would view it in that instance as a support for the camera rather than as something to leave the camera on and walk away from. With the centre column down, it's way more stable.

But on windy Scottish hillside, would I trust it to not blow over? Unsure...

Does it need to be high up? Many people take beanbags and use rocks to plant their cameras on.

The rucksack you've linked to looks flexible enough for hiking - the key (for me) being that you could carry camera kit and it has a separate compartment for waterproofs and water etc. Although, I'd prefer to carry my water on the outside of any camera bag in case it leaks.

Plus - if you've not seen/handled the 5D and 70-200 yet, it's big. you'd need to check that it would actually fit in the bag.

As I'm sure you're already finding, it's an expensive hobby. I'd be tempted to buy neoprene pouches for the lenses and use a normal rucksack for this trip rather than spend money on a rucksack that you might never use again. Yes it will be more hassle getting stuff out, but you'll soon see if it's worth pursuing.

Not saying 'get these' but something along these lines. (LINK). If you decide 'sod this', and never do it again, you can always gift them to your friend.

Definitely make sure your travel insurance covers the kit. Not sure I'd lend my stuff to anyone else to take away.

Thanks for a detailed post Kell - I appreciate you (and everyone else in the thread) taking time out to help me, consider the options available and also not only say 'you MUST have XYZ', it seems a nice and friendly forum, so my thanks to everyone for that :) :)

Yes, I spent some time looking at the rucksacks. I wanted something that would hold the gear in (obviously lol), and open from the back so I could keep it clean / not pick up the dirt onto my back. I won't be taking that much gear with me, and need some space for lunch / water etc (I did want a side pocket for that), but my trusty other half might be the person that packs the lunch and refreshments. Last year we did a similar trip and I sued my hiking bag so I know that this will be more preferable. I didn't take a tripod last year - I mainly 'pointed an clicked', whilst trying to learn about the ISO/shutter/aperture settings.

The tripod I was thinking of is the manfrotto befree (not the advanced one) as I have seen one for sale locally and the chap seems like a nice fella from some messaging :) I maybe don't need it extending that high, but I guess I'll learn that once I'm in situ. I'd maybe like to try getting some night sky shots too. Basically I just want to have a play around, so need to make a few investments to experiment with :)

Personally I would say your overthinking it and the only result your going to get is a hole in your bank balance , I recently changed models a one step upgrade and it took me nearly a month of tweaking to get it to perform how I like it . And I’m familiar with the menu system

My option would be just take the camera and 70-200 and maybe a 50mm lens wise that will cover your holiday needs . All the other bits and bobs are going to confuse you and worst case scenario you might end up damaging someone else’s property .I.e cross thread a filter etc ,a to lightweight tripod might topple over .

The other thing you haven’t thought of is if your shooting in raw your going to need to know how to p.p the results a often overlooked factor for newbies .. i quiet often ( more so since covid) see newcomers lugging around tons of unneeded gear and when looking at the results on faceberk etc the lack of skills is apparent . . Take your time build up your gear slowly . And learn to use what you have

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about filters, and I certainly wouldn't buy a tripod for a short trip like this, unless you're sure you will need it.

IMHO, the most indispensable accessory is a lens hood. They offer some physical protection and prevent unwanted light hitting the lens and causing flare. Canon's L lenses normally come with a hood, but most lenses don't and you have to buy them separately.

My option would be just take the camera and 70-200 and maybe a 50mm lens wise that will cover your holiday needs . All the other bits and bobs are going to confuse you and worst case scenario you might end up damaging someone else’s property .I.e cross thread a filter etc ,a to lightweight tripod might topple over .

This is why it's so hard to get recommendations, because everyone's different.

Given the choices available, if I had to narrow it down I'd take the 24-70mm over the 70-200.

Last edited:
@Tricky01

The OP is a new member and as he says he cannot access the "sales sections" yet ;)
Ah shucks, yes of course. I thought it was no selling until x posts, didn't realise it was no access at all. Maybe it's changed since I joined all those years ago!

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well :) I'm due to go on a holiday up to Scotland next week and I have managed to loan a nice camera to use with a few lenses. Wanting to take care of the equipment but without wanting to invest mega bucks into accessories when I hand it all back I'm in a little bit of a pickle.

1. Bag; I've spent a good part of the day searching for bags, and I think this one will fit my needs without breaking the bank (link to Yuhan Oxford bag)

2. Next on the list was a tripod, and I have to say this is very hard work to find something that looks sturdy, and lightweight. From a little bit of reading on here I see that is a common dilemma. I've looked at adverts for manfrotto, peak design (that looks great but the price is way out the budget), and adverts are popping up for K&F Concept on my social media now lol. I'd happily buy a second hander to get the price down so long as it is good. Seen one of these not too far from where I live going for £50 (manfrotto befree tripod)

3. I'd like to experiment with some filters. I've just been on a little workshop, but it was fast paced and didn't really go over them from start to finish. I'm sure everyone will cringe at this next link as they're so cheap, but I thought perhaps I could buy some cheap ones which are a universal fit as the lenses I have access to are; 58mm, 67mm and 77mm. ((link to ND filter kit)

I can't look in the for sale thread here yet as I don't have enough posts on the forum to be non spammy. You can see I'm really looking on a budget as I don't own the kit, but naturally want to take care of it and have a bit of fun experimenting as I am a complete beginner.

Thoughts, and suggestions welcomed.
Many thanks :)

Where do you live? I might be able to help in some way if you aren't too far away.

That's so nice of you moggi - I'm in the North East.

Out of interest - how often does cross threading happen? Seen it mentioned a few times in this thread. Is it that common?!

Out of interest - how often does cross threading happen? Seen it mentioned a few times in this thread. Is it that common?!
Well I've done it plenty of times. with filters on old lenses but not on more modern ones.

Well I've done it plenty of times. with filters on old lenses but not on more modern ones.
it can and does happen , and not easily fixed as you cant apply pressure on put it in a vice to clamp it

it can and does happen , and not easily fixed as you cant apply pressure on put it in a vice to clamp it
RE: cross threading a filter ~ I don't recall doing that and perhaps that is due to the way a fit one.
I have always rotated the positioned filter counter clockwise until I feel the thread 'catch' (i.e. the point of engagement where when turn clockwise the thread is ready to engage) I then carefully rotate in the correct clockwise direction and ensure it engages and turns freely into the thread.................any hint of a mis-thread will be obvious .
Easier to do than describe ;)

I’m guessing by your other posts in a different thread you already have your own camera so this isn’t a holiday only thing, but I’d still consider you may be selling it on afterwards.

Bag: if you haven’t got one it’s worth getting one. It’s worth scanning the photography shops for used bags. I’d personally get a used bag in good condition from a reputable photography shop than an unknown brand off Amazon. There’s a lowepro flip side 400 on MPB for £39 that maybe worth checking out but they only do photos of the outside. I’d personally like to see a photo of the internal area as you can assess condition/quantity of dividers. If you already have a good hiking bag think of getting a camera insert (Tenba do good ones). Many landscape photographers use hiking bags to carry camera kit as they have far better weight distribution and are more comfortable over long distances/climbing up hills.

Tripod: the befree model may be on the small as it’s safety weight factor is 4kg. That means it will hold up to 4kg before it crumbles. It doesn’t mean it will hold that weight nice and stable like you’d need for long exposure photos. As a rule I divide the safety weight factor by 3 or 4 as it probably gives a better idea of the actual weight it will probably hold stable (just a guide and not scientific). Again I’d look at the used market for something like a good condition manfrotto 055 tripod. It should be able to hold your hired kit nicely and be sold on if needed afterwards.

filters: honestly I wouldn’t bother with a cheap filters as the quality will be awful. If you buy something a bit better then buy it at the largest size you expect to use in the future and get step down rings. Polarisers are useful to cut reflection glare and see through water but aren’t essential especially for a beginner. ND’s are useful for long exposures but again aren’t essential. ND grads are really needed due to the highlight recovery of modern sensors. There are ways like you’ve found such as blending different exposures in post or even exposuring so you have maximum highlight detail without clipping and lifting the shadows in post processing software.
as a beginner I’d concentrate on getting a great composition as that will make much more of a difference than messing around with cheap filters will.

keep things simple if you’re a beginner and don’t fall into the photography accessory trap (many aren’t really needed and often end up sitting in a bag or cupboard unused if most photographers are honest).

Skye looks fantastic and great for landscape photography. Go and enjoy the holiday and don’t overthink/worry about what photography accessories you think you may need. I’m thinking of visiting next year. Whilst researching I’ve been surprised by the size of the island. I wasn’t expecting the distances between places to be as far and for it to take so long to travel between locations. One important thing to take,especially in summer, is midge spray. I’d deem it to be essential.

Last edited:
... I wouldn’t bother with a cheap filter as the quality will be awful. If you buy something a bit better then buy it at the largest size you expect to use in the future and get step down rings.
Mounting larger filters on smaller diameter lenses calls for step-up rings.

Tripods . . . as other people have said, you can have light and convenient or you can have sturdy, but the two don't go together.
A very convenient "optional extra" on a tripod is an adjustable centre column, but they cause even greater wobble. So, can you manage without one altogether? One option is a monopod, again these can vary in size/weight/quality but a good monopod is usually far more stable than a poor tripod. And another option (not popular because it's dirt cheap, isn't shiny or trendy, is a length of string. Fix one end to to a 1/4" Whitworth screw, which you then screw into your camera baseplate, tie the other end to something very solid or around your foot and pull it tight.

As for filters, all filters will degrade image quality to some extent and lead to much greater risk of lens flare. Personally I would never use a cheap one. And - although of course the sellers will never tell you this - the only filters that are worth considering are neutral density and polarisers, neither of which are technically filters anyway. All other filters (when used with digital shots) can be created in post-processing with no loss of image quality, no risk of increased flare and of course the effect can be varied to taste, and when created on a separate layer can be removed if required.

Back