Beginner Film Camera

I would go for a Praktica MTL5 over a Zenit. Own both & the Praktica is better in every respect IMO. Paid £10 for my MTL5 a few years ago. Designed for an obsolete mercury battery but has a bridge circuit in it & runs happily of a higher voltage alkaline battery unlike some other cameras.

Anyone buying an OM2N needs to think about a CLA to get the light seals done before they ruin the slivering on the prism unless they know it has been done already. Costs around £60 for a CLA with Miles Whitehead. He did both mine recently. Prefer the OM1/1N to the OM2N but quite like the OM2N. Just more into manual cameras at the moment. Tried an OM10 once & & didn't like it selling it after one film. Never had the manual adapter admittedly.

Not sure if the Nikon F301 has been mentioned? Fairly cheap as not as sought after as other Nikon bodies. Paid £15 for mine a couple of years ago & has all a beginner should need.

I would go for a Praktica MTL5 over a Zenit. Own both & the Praktica is better in every respect IMO. Paid £10 for my MTL5 a few years ago. Designed for an obsolete mercury battery but has a bridge circuit in it & runs happily of a higher voltage alkaline battery unlike some other cameras.

Anyone buying an OM2N needs to think about a CLA to get the light seals done before they ruin the slivering on the prism unless they know it has been done already. Costs around £60 for a CLA with Miles Whitehead. He did both mine recently. Prefer the OM1/1N to the OM2N but quite like the OM2N. Just more into manual cameras at the moment. Tried an OM10 once & & didn't like it selling it after one film. Never had the manual adapter admittedly.

Not sure if the Nikon F301 has been mentioned? Fairly cheap as not as sought after as other Nikon bodies. Paid £15 for mine a couple of years ago & has all a beginner should need.
Sorry, what's CLA?

Last edited:
Clean, lubricate & adjust. Camera jargon for a service.

I'm a bit late to this party and I've seen Pentax have been mentioned already. Along with the screw thread mount Pentax cameras have a look at some of the K mount ones - KX, LX or MX.

Dave

But which are more accessible? K-mount will be sort of closing in one system, while M42 would offer more flexibility me thinks?

Made a bit of a snap/last minute/cider purchase, just looked on ebay and with 4/5 minutes to go this was at £10 so I got a bit caught up in it all.....I normally say if things are to good to be true they normally are....Hopefully it'll be ok but we shall see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-O...WLJLv3p89BcZeN7JrfDbI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Reactions: DNH
Nice one mate :).

What lens would be ok for starters?

Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 Compact MC Wide Angle Lens for M42 Screw 35mm, Auto or Manual
Pentacon Auto 29mm f2.8 Wide Angle Lens
Cosina 35mm f2.8
PRINZFLEX JAPAN Auto Reflex 35mm 2.8

or maybe immortal Helios?

Last edited:
Made a bit of a snap/last minute/cider purchase, just looked on ebay and with 4/5 minutes to go this was at £10 so I got a bit caught up in it all.....I normally say if things are to good to be true they normally are....Hopefully it'll be ok but we shall see

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympus-O...WLJLv3p89BcZeN7JrfDbI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
Are you aware that a manual is available from the Butkus site? There are very few camera manuals he does not have.

Have we mentioned the need to check the foam light seals? If they have never been replaced, they will need it - a simple job to do yourself.

Nice one mate :).

What lens would be ok for starters?

Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 Compact MC Wide Angle Lens for M42 Screw 35mm, Auto or Manual
Pentacon Auto 29mm f2.8 Wide Angle Lens
Cosina 35mm f2.8
PRINZFLEX JAPAN Auto Reflex 35mm 2.8

or maybe immortal Helios?

The Helios lens takes place on lot of beating.

Are you aware that a manual is available from the Butkus site? There are very few camera manuals he does not have.

Have we mentioned the need to check the foam light seals? If they have never been replaced, they will need it - a simple job to do yourself.

Door ones are but the ones that will ruin the silvering on the prism are not so as you need to take the top cover off to get at them. There are instructions online but after having taken the top cover off of another camera I bottled doing it again & sent mine of to be done.

I've just asked to cancel the order after looking at lens prices, and the fact that there are others going for not much more (bodies only) with new seals and checked to be working, so wasn't particularly the bargain I thought was to be worth the gamble.

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this party and I've seen Pentax have been mentioned already. Along with the screw thread mount Pentax cameras have a look at some of the K mount ones - KX, LX or MX.

I had to Like that, unlike it, and like it again!!!

Just went and bought Spotmatic :D :D :D

Now looking for some basic prime and roll of film. First one most likely won't be useful much.... Can't wait for its arrival :D

It's worth remembering for Pentax and Pentax-compatible lenses (M42, K, 645 and above) that Pentaxforums has a fantastic review database with hundreds of user-contributed reviews (bodies, lenses etc), pretty much tells you everything you need to know about any of those lenses, short of the effects of copy variation! The M42 3rd party lenses are not as well structured as the 3rd party K lenses IIRC.

Yep, the cameras are reasonably priced .... the lenses however :eek:

@Andysnap

But would it be good purchase? Think I saw some lenses for under 200 quid...

I would never have thought about getting or recommending an old Leica R body. Their reputation was that the bodies lagged behind other leading brands. However, it's the R lenses to pay attention to. Here is a summary: https://www.apotelyt.com/photo-lens/leica-r-catalog They are really superb lenses that can be used on a range of cameras, film or otherwise. I bought a 180mm APO-Telyt R as it is one of the cheapest high quality long lenses you can get. I was looking for something for safari and the massive and expensive 100 to 400 lenses were not for me. It was designed for military use and to be used at maximum range, so seemed ideal for safari. They were made from 1975, mine is a late one from 1991, but still 26 years old. It can produce nice images:

29107795635_910a76d9e4_k.jpg 29002802192_ea9ef09f8d_k.jpg

What do you think of Zenit E gents?
I think mine is the EM.. Th 'E'may have an inbuilt selenium cell TTL meter.. though I wouldn't expect it to be coupled to the shutter speeds.
CLUNKY.. is the word that instantly springs to mind! Built like a woman's Olympics shot-putter, they wee oft sold in the 80's with a Centon mirror lens and a 'sniper' grip, for birding; and folk often quipped that they weren't a Camera, they were Russian Army Surplus! Issued to squaddies in the cold war to crawl under the wall and see what the Yanks were doing in West Germany... with orders that if caught, they didn't need a gun, they were to use the Zenit as a club! Multi-functionality! Bit like a Rambo survival knife that takes photo's! (lol)

Taking M42 screw fit lenses; they were oft spotted sporting much more expensive lenses, like genuine Pentax, or Ziess; Principle, and its still true, was that the camera was just a light tight box to hold the film; the lens was what put the picture on the film, that and the film mattered, so stuff the 'camera' put your cash in the glass and save the rest for film.

Principle has merit, and was sort of why I used OM's in the 90's; which makes reasonable comparison, The Zenit's are fully manual, and clunky to work. They are not the easiest handling cameras, and H&S had yet to be invented! No attempt was made to round off sharp corners or even de-burr things like the strap brackets! Mine has nicked me a few times, bludy thing! Controls were limited.. just four shutter-speeds, down from 1/500th; that are a little difficult to change; Film rewind was peculiarly fiddly with a pop up spindle rather than a crank. BUT, everything tended to work, in a pretty deliberate and positive way, if not particularly 'nice' one. With a decent lens; and a little know-how, they could return great results; and they were 'cheap', and nie on nuclear-hard indestructible! By the 90's though, they were an 'old fashioned' camera, without any easements, and handling that was a negative easement for most! M42 screw lens mount, was particularly out of fashion, in the face of quick-release bayonet mounts; and whilst there was a good choice of lenses for them, a lot were like the camera, east german or russian 'primes' that were similarly out of fashion. When you could pick up an OM10, with an f1.8 Zuiko 50mm lens, and the auto-exposure electrickery for £20ish, folk almost couldn't give them away; they were often only a £30 camera brand new. BUT, they did serve purpose; you wouldn't expect an Olly 10 to last too long in the hands of an 11 year old, kicking it around their toy-box, or being dragged around the woods by a keen birder.

Now? e-bay has seen a lot pulled off the top of wardrobes or out of attics, or dug ot of former soviet states, and they can command the sort of prices they probably didn't when new! A lot f that is they often have the cult Helios 44 on the front, that a lot of digital legacy lens shooters rave about for the 'Bokeh', and sell for that alone, or as a very cheap way to have a 'dabble' at film photography. But now pretty much ALL film cameras are 'obsolete', I have to say that their cult status has inflated prices beyond so much of the competition they don't represent much of a 'bargain'. There are a lot of much 'nicer' cameras out there that are a lot easier and nicer to use for very similar money..

Quick look at evil bay; and there's a few Zenits there, ranging in price from maybe £10 to £40; for comparison, Nikon's F801 was a pro-range camera in the 90's. Auto-Focus, metal bodied, it was a 'great' camera, that is still very usable today, thanks to taking AA batteries rather than dedicated Lith packs, for around £50. Admittedly body only, but still. Not so desirable these days, as they are an AF era camera, they don't have that 'classic' film camera look, or the big difference in handling to a modern DSLR; but does sort of offer a bench-mark. The obsolescence of film has squashed the market down to a very small band, in which you have cameras that are of a similar age, that sat on the shelf in the shop with £1000's between them in price, now sat side by side o e-bay, with a only a few quid difference between them, and what was valued them when new, by way of picture making ability, is now often almost an irrelevance, judged by their 'classic' appeal, where looking 'old' actually seems to have more value than being 'useful'....

Back to your query; in contemporary context, its a slightly awkward but useful camera; and t does have that slightly quirky 'old' camera appeal. For the 'cheap' priced they command on e-bay, though I wouldn't buy one. And with a notional £50 budget, I would be looking very very hard at that Nikon F801, it was actually a camera I 'almost' bought back in 1995; That would likely push the budget up into the £100 area and have me looking at the more 'traditional' manual focus FE or FM's, that are less a camera, but are the more 'traditional' manual focus icons... from which I would probably back off and come back down into the sub £30 range again, and looking at NON-SLR's.. Just spotted a rather nice Zess Ikon 120 medium format 'folder' with 10.5cm lens for just £29.95! I actually have the Ikonta... that's a cracking camera, and REALLY has that 'antique' look and full manual feel! Delvers fantastic image quality to, provided the bellows aren't perished! There's a few Olympus Trips and canon range-finders, and choice of the Konica C35 which is another in my little stable; that delivers cracking SLR rivaling results... and ultimately, i that sort of budget, my little Olympus XA2 would probably come out pretty high in the list of, and bang on the money, and brings me back to OM10's, that for an SLR are similar prices.

Not that the Zenit isn't a decent camera; in ts way its great one; but in that price range, there is just that much more that is so much better value, more interesting and or more 'useful'.

For some-one new to film, a Ziess folder is probably a leap far to far into an alternate reality; so 35mm would probably be the better bet; Daughters dabble with film, left her exited, but frustrated by the Zenit, it was just too 'fiddly'. But I had to pry the little XA2 out of her hands though! With a fixed lens and point and shoot usability it was a nice progression from her i-phone; and about the picture, not the camera. The easier to use OM10, some-where between the two, offered a reasonably happy compromise. My all manual Sigma MK1, M42 Ricoch copy, is a lot more intuitive to use than the Zenit and does have TTL swing needle metering; I love; it's a very happy compromise, for me, that is easy to handle and has just enough 'easement' to be usable and not too much faff, as well as having that classic manual camera style and feel. daughter 'liked' but still found a tad daunting, though she did love the prime lenses. Rvals to that would be other Richoch copies of the 70's which could beg a bit of careful research; or paying the premium for a genuine Pentax, which given the relatively small premium that is would probably be the 'safe' bet. But the 'burget' Russian Zenit and East German Practika, I have to say would't make my short list; they were always 'cheap' cameras, they always had quirky handling, and in the world they now live, where high end cameras that offered so much more than they ever did, are so much more depressed in price, you ca get so much more camera for little or no more money.. and I would either be inching the budget up to get one, or keeping it bargain basement looking at non SLR's.

But that's me! usually far too sensible.. the Zenits, I DO have to say ARE an experience in their own way.. have hug on to mine for quarter of a century, despite it giving me razor cuts, it must have 'some' perverse 'charm' going for it! So if you can afford to waste £25 on one, what the heck! But I wouldn't have too many great expectations, and I'd probably say it was worth making a slightly safer first step to film with something a tad easier to use and less quirky, and more likely to delver decent results straight off the stops.

So back to you really.....

I like reading your posts Mike, based on experience and very informative :).

Now that I already bought Pentax, I will stick to it for a while to get to know it and perhaps understand some of the basics. It will be couppled with Helios 44M-4 58mm f/2, but I also got offered two rolls of film and Pentacon 50mm f/1.8 for only tenner, so having one lens spare I think I will give it a try with Zenit. I am intrigued after your write up - it looks like typical love and hate relationship, something like me and my ZX-6R. When I had it, I hated it most of the time, but actually do miss it after it was written off :).

Edit:
Since film is last thing on my shopping list for this weekend, I have one question - which one should I go for? Mono or colour?

Last edited:
Lol.. err.. yah.. I actually found the ZX6-R utterly underwhelming to ride when launched, what, '97? Incredibly capable motorcycle, but utterly single minded.. all it did was 'fast',and made it awfully easy to go very very fast... and I always had that notion nagging in the back of my mind, that when it decided to STOP doing 'easy' fast, we'd be flying through a hedge, and the bike yelling "Sorry, your on your own now mate!" Lol. Making m behemouth VF1000 make progress, o the other had was rather more demanding and rewarding; NOW, twenty years on, a 'back to basics' CB-Seven-Fifty', is rather, 'boring' n a nice way; it just works, with no frills. Hence a CB125, initially aquired to get O/H through tests ahead of the 3DL licence laws.... it's a 'bit' like the zenit... great find to thrash down the lanes; begs a lot of the rider, it don't do 'fast'.. easy or o! Put in a heck of a lot of rider effort, commitment and bravery to avoid braking, it will do a fair impression of 'brisk'.. which in a perverse way, is fun, because the minuscule reward for all the effort you have to put to get it.... But I'll pick up the keys for the Seven-Fifty, IF I actually want to go somewhere!
Zenit is much the same; if I want to take pictures, then the Electrc-Picture-Maker comes out the bag; its easy! If I want to 'do photography' then I will probably reach for the Sigma... get involved, make the camera work for me.. The Zenit? Err... yeah.. it can stay on the shelf! Lol! Following the motorbike analogy, if the Electric-Picture Maker is a 212 ER6N, the Sigma MK1 a 1982 CB125 twin, then the Zenit is a Russian copy of a 1952 NSU Quickly.... with pedals! It WILL get you places! It CAN be a lot of fun along the way! BUT.. you have to be in a peculiarly masocistic state of mind to even want to try! Lol!

Mine actually came into my possession circa 1992, in a loft clearance, along with the Sigma; "Here you know how these work, see if you can make any use of'em!" Sigma rapidly endeared itself to me, and I built up a period all prime kit around it Then my Granddad, had a stroke. I was booked into do a race school at Cadwell, and Pops wanted to come along, and was faffing (as he always did!) With his Kodak Retinette, an I caught him near tears, because he couldn't see through the range-finder, or read the number off the scales... so I made hm a up of tea, and told hm to stop straining himself, and put his pirate patch on to give his eye a rest..... settling him down i the arm chair, I spotted the Zenit on the top of the cabiet, and had a brain wave! With through the lens focus, he could probably work that with one good eye; so gave it hm to play with..... he was wowed by through the lens focusing! On the day, I confiscated his light meter.. I mad a show of taking a few incident readings, then settg 1/125th sgutter speed and telling him the F-No, ad to just tweek it by eye if it clouded over.. figuring exposure latitude would cover mst dscrepancy.. he took MORE photo's that day than he did in a decade! He ALMOST finished a roll! Lol! Got some good shots too. And is about the only person I have ever heard descre a Zenit as 'Fantastic' Lol! And to him... it WAS.... relieved of the light meter, that had hampered most of his photography for forty years, something to do 'istead' of take pictures; he got o with the job; and focusing by eye, not frettng about focus ddtances and depth of field, he got on with it and had 'fun'.. a great day was had by all...... and he carried on using it for another five years, until it and his retinette eventually made ther way back to me after the house clearance, a couple of years ago..... some-times.. it's not just the punctures that capture 'memories'...... [sigh]

I also have his old Voiglander TLR; He'd bought that in a bizare in Jerusalem, to take his wedding photo's, when he carried my gran while they were both stationed there with the RAF! It had been suck on a shelf for decades, when I was dong my City & Guilds i photography, and had bee given a 'junk-shop-camera' assignment, and didn't actually have the money to even by a camera in a junk-shop! He'd pulled it down, dusted it off and told me to give it a try. I did, but unfortunately the film rollers had rusted and scored the film; but another memory, A-N-D looking through old family photo's, imagining him as a young man working that same camera; when I look at a snap shot of John Surtees coming through Goveners Bridge on the island, that he took with it o the infamous holiday he & my gran had when h was an AA patrol-man! Or the picture of my mother as a toddler playing o the grass front of his Arial 350 grass-track race bike!

I DO wonder when I see some of these old cameras on e-bay, particularly the ore battle-scarred, what stories they could tell.. what they have seen; what the have done..... if only they could talk..... actually... probably no bad thing... if they could, my old XA2 would probably have talked me into jail by now! Lol!

Edit:
Since film is last thing on my shopping list for this weekend, I have one question - which one should I go for? Mono or colour?

If you have a Poundland nearby that still sells Agfa Vista 200 24-shot rolls, many people use them as test rolls, and they are a tolerable colour film.

If you're after a different experience than digital, then black and white film is the way to go. You'll find plenty of discussion about film types. Ilford XP2 has the advantage that it's processed in the same way as colour negative film, which tends to be easier to find labs for and cheaper processing than "real" black and white. Boots do a perennial buy one get one half price deal on film; even if not advertised it's worth asking because it usually works. That brings the price down not far north of a fiver a 36-shot roll. Otherwise unless you have a specialist camera shop nearby it tends to be internet purchases.

Among the proper black and white films, Ilford HP5 is really grainy in 35mm, Kodak Tri-X is THE classic black and white film, Kodak T-Max 400 is one of the newer emulsion, see also Ilford Delta 400. Both a bit less grainy. All those 400 ISO. Bags of flexibility. Not sure what the fastest shutter speed of the camera is; if 1/500 or over you can comfortably use ISO 400 in summer. Slower films, Ilford FP4 is 125 ISO and lovely, less love from me for Delta 100 and TMAX 100. Fuji Acros 100 is the long exposure king. But you have to suck it and see!

Some fomapan 100 or 200 would be a good start for black and white, fairly cheap but has little grain and a nice range of tones.
Although Agfa vista can be bought for a pound I feel that fuji superia 200 is a better bet as it is still cheap and comes in 36 exposure rolls and actually works out cheaper per shot than agfa, it is also slightly nicer film in my opinion.
If you want a better film then kodak ektar 100 is lovely for sunny day landscapes, very saturated. Kodak Portra comes in 160, 400 and 800 and is extremely good with skin tones, i personally like it for landscapes when it isnt too bright.
Andy

Film to drop of at a lab: kodak portra 400, or ektar if you want saturated colors. Ilford XP2+ for B&W
As for cameras I dont understand the urge to go for early m42 or fsu cameras as beginner. Yes they can be fun and give special(fsu) or even good results but the risk of having something not working correctly is higher and combined with a lack of experience thing can get frustrating really fast. Start with something relatively save and do the experiments after things proved working for you. A late nikon MF or AF body, a pentax, minolta or canon even leica R and lenses will be most likely to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for suggestions gents. Notes taken.

@soeren

it's a little too late now as I got all gear already paid for. But I bought body with mechanical warranty for I think 90 days, apparently lens is in very good nick too - if something will not work, I can always send it back ;). If it won't work because of me, then I hope I can learn to make it work. All part of fun :)

What I like about them old cameras is that they are pure mechanical beasts, nothing fancy, no batteries (almost), no complicated electronics etc. I don't know why, when I used to build and fly RC aircraft, instead of just buying models ready to fly (had only two of them), I preferred to get some balsa, glue and build my own. Well known british classic, single channel Sharkface powered by Cox .049 Golden Bee revving at over 20k without any throttle control was my favourite. It was absolutely crazy flyer, apparently for advanced pilots only :). My first ever scratch built model, wasn't flying for about 6 weeks due to broken props, wings, pretty much due to broken everything :D. But when I finally understood why, it was lethal! :)

The was no downside to this particular design, even lack of throttle control wasn't bad - but I remember that one time, I just launched it and few seconds after somebody "switched on" massive p**s down. People were running from the park where I flew due to heavy rain and I just stood there and flew little thing till it run out of fuel, so I could land it :D.

Now my only experience with film consists of basic full auto compact, but I also do have basic understanding of exposure triangle and camera usage. The worst thing that can happen is just wasted few rolls of film, so why not give it a try. And I also like the fact that I can spend as much or as little as I like on lenses. If body will cause any problems, few quid will get me another one. This combined with time requirement is not really big price for what I can learn, and as we know, knowledge is power ;).

@ChrisR
Max shutter speed of Spotmatic is 1/1000th. Guess there is only one way to find out if I can make it work ;).

@Teflon-Mike
my Ninja was built with one principle in mind - to break as often as possible. Alarm, snapped chain, punctures every now and then, exhaust, problems with brakes, cooling system, I really hated it most of the time. She required a lot of attention (due to poor maintenance by former keepers), but when she finally was going, she was going proper! I even had plate with "Hedge seeking missile" tag line on the bottom ;). Sad thing was that she actually ended her life in the hedge, after bouncing off big, angry Volvo. Not the end I wanted for her.

I rode fairly few bikes, owned 4 and did most of my mileage on little Suzuki En-125 ;). She was all over England and Wales, in any weather, any season - guess I could say that I like a bit of inconvenience every now and then ;). And you compare Zenit to old russian ped - I must give it a go :D

I do agree, there is some certain mystery with older objects. For me books are another example. I own few from 1800s and earlier, some contain bookplates with names etc - interesting how many houses these books visited, how many people they outlived and curious what will happen when they outlive me :).

Last edited:
I would go back to my original suggestion, speak to Rob at http://www.vintageclassiccamera.com to get a reliable camera in good workable condition.
I did that for my son who wanted to get a camera for his girlfriend's birthday and got a Canon A-1 serviced with new seals, he sent a load of images and it was in good condition. Cost £130, and she has had no issues with it at all. He charges about £90 to service and put new seals on a camera, so work it out.

If you do not know what to check, go online and do a search. This for example:
http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Used-Film-Camera
There are probably better ones, for example this one doesn't question to check that anything foam has not turned to dust.
Another one:
http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/buying.html

Finally, if you have a particular model in mind, go online, download the manual and get a feel for how it works and what bits you need to check.
For example: http://vieilalbum.com/documents_fichiers/Manuel Olympus OM2.pdf

Of course new seals can be easily done yourself if needed, specially by someone who can build a RC model airplane!

I hope I won't need to do it though ;).

Shopping is finally complete - bought a roll of Agfa Vista and Ilford HP5+. Now the worst part - waiting till Tuesday :D :D :D

I hope I won't need to do it though ;).

Shopping is finally complete - bought a roll of Agfa Vista and Ilford HP5+. Now the worst part - waiting till Tuesday :D :D :D

h'mm Poundland have some Vista left.....all gone near me.

I am targeting two local Poundlnds, but I think one roll will be enough to see if camera is ok... From what I've seen here it's not big difference in cost when you buy some better film, so after that one roll I'll have some fun with testing various makes ;).

Can't find where to put this info:- Anyway Ebay only show buy it now prices in "completed listings".

Back