Beginner Beginner here

I'll throw in my tuppence.

Image 1. The bird is looking out of the photo and is on the 'outer' side of centre. The rule of thirds (which is a rule you can break to get the image you want) suggests the main part of the image should be 1/3 in from any edge.

I can't set the bird on a third but have cropped to get it looking 'in to' the image although image could do with more 'space' to the left as viewed.

0.jpg

The rule of thirds, horizon on either top or bottom horizontal, bird on one of the intersections etc. Remember it's classed as a rule but more of a guide.

0.jpg

these are my takes on the images. just cropped them. the second on I could have done with a bit more at the bottom. very nice images congrats

Attachments

• PSX_20200102_144824crop.jpg
    PSX_20200102_144824crop.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 13
  • PSX_20200102_145303crop.jpg
    PSX_20200102_145303crop.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 13
I have heard of the rule of thirds but never knew what it meant. Here is another pic, is this a little better?IMG_20200103_112626_246.jpg

Rule of thirds sets approx. position or main subject, ie in landscape if foreground is the interesting area then horizon on the top line, if the least important then on the bottom line.

If subject is looking to the side then on one of the vertical thirds looking in to the photo as you latest image. Looking towards or away from the camera then have subject 1/3 and the most interesting part of the scene take up 2/3.

Plants are often planted in groups of 3, triangular formation, consider that if applicable. Viewers often fine these arrangements more pleasing. Other things are leading lines etc. etc. the list goes on.

That said a bird/subject looking straight at the camera may actually be more pleasing smack in the centre. Rules bend a long way they break so don't get hing up on them, bear them in mind when you compose the shot but decide what looks best FOR YOU.

Hi, I am also a newbie here, I am an engineer but I am interested in Photography. I think nowadays there are so many online courses for photography. I Have studied my RICS APC courses Online to complete my Chartered Membership (MRICS). I think there also you can study Photography at College of Contract Management where I have completed my Engineering Courses

Good early attempts and great subjects in your area but garden birds are more difficult than you might think.

They are small, so you need to get close and/or use a long lens. Cropping images throws away image quality.
Focus is critical and they move in fast, jerky movements causing blur.
Good subject knowledge and fieldcraft help enormously to get the camera in the right spot, as does endless patience!

You asked for comments on these images, so:
Viewpoint is too low.
Under-exposed - maybe the sky is skewing the meter?
Cluttered and distracting background.

Good luck :)

croping images depends on the image sensor size. and how much you need to crop as long as you dont zoom the image using digital , you should be fine, I know the image would be limited to the size you could print, a bigger zoom lens is the answer if you have one.

Good early attempts and great subjects in your area but garden birds are more difficult than you might think.

They are small, so you need to get close and/or use a long lens. Cropping images throws away image quality.
Focus is critical and they move in fast, jerky movements causing blur.
Good subject knowledge and fieldcraft help enormously to get the camera in the right spot, as does endless patience!

You asked for comments on these images, so:
Viewpoint is too low.
Under-exposed - maybe the sky is skewing the meter?
Cluttered and distracting background.

Good luck :)

:plus1:

Back