Beginner Beginner here

Name
Norman
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll throw in my tuppence.

Image 1. The bird is looking out of the photo and is on the 'outer' side of centre. The rule of thirds (which is a rule you can break to get the image you want) suggests the main part of the image should be 1/3 in from any edge.

I can't set the bird on a third but have cropped to get it looking 'in to' the image although image could do with more 'space' to the left as viewed.

0.jpg

Name
Norman
Edit My Images
Yes
The rule of thirds, horizon on either top or bottom horizontal, bird on one of the intersections etc. Remember it's classed as a rule but more of a guide.

0.jpg

OP
OP
Alaska32
Edit My Images
Yes
I have heard of the rule of thirds but never knew what it meant. Here is another pic, is this a little better? IMG_20200103_112626_246.jpg

Name
Norman
Edit My Images
Yes
Rule of thirds sets approx. position or main subject, ie in landscape if foreground is the interesting area then horizon on the top line, if the least important then on the bottom line.

If subject is looking to the side then on one of the vertical thirds looking in to the photo as you latest image. Looking towards or away from the camera then have subject 1/3 and the most interesting part of the scene take up 2/3.

Plants are often planted in groups of 3, triangular formation, consider that if applicable. Viewers often fine these arrangements more pleasing. Other things are leading lines etc. etc. the list goes on.

That said a bird/subject looking straight at the camera may actually be more pleasing smack in the centre. Rules bend a long way they break so don't get hing up on them, bear them in mind when you compose the shot but decide what looks best FOR YOU.