beginner needs advise in flash.

Name
Shayne
Edit My Images
No
I am new at this and am building my equipment for my new hobby.
I do not know anything about flashes other than I will need one. With that said can you please advise me on what are some of the most important qualities to look for when shopping for a flash. I do want one that I can use off the camera but that's about as much as I know. Thanks for your help.

I'm sure you didn't mean to, but you've asked quite an open ended question. If would make our lives easier if you told us roughly how much you had to spend and what camera you're using.

KC Leblanc said:
I'm sure you didn't mean to, but you've asked quite an open ended question. If would make our lives easier if you told us roughly how much you had to spend and what camera you're using.

Sorry I was at moms house when I posted this (need I say more) lol. I'm using a Canon t3i and as far as price goes I'm open as for now. You see I am putting together a solid kit that will last me a wail. Like I said before, I'm a beginner but what I'm trying to do is avoid buyer remorse or have to sell the first one to get the one I really want/need. The problem is that being so new at this I dont even have an idea of what matters as far as flashes goes. As far as what I will be using the flash for, well you probably know better than I. If there is any other info you need from me by all means please ask. Thank you for your reply.

Oh, and if you need this, I am using a 50mm 1.8 and thanks to all the forums advise I am leaning towards a canon 18-55 2.8 lens as well.

A T3i is a 600D over here IIRC. I would say a 550, 580 or 580II or perhaps a 430 (all end with EX). I think a new one has just been launched on the market to replace the 580II, so you could go for the very latest if you wanted. Personally, if I were you I'd look for a good condition 2nd hand of the models I've mentioned. Then start learning how to use it. There's obviously help on here, you tube and probably something like a Blue Crane DVD can be purchased from Amazon to help you on your way.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. I was in the local shop the other day and ask what flash to get. They mentioned a 300 something because it could be used off the camera. I think its an entry level flash. Have you heard of it? If so what is the difference? Is it a case of a lot of additional options or lights up more or both.

Canon
Nissin
Sigma
Metz

All do flashes for Canon cameras. What's the budget? You will need a flash that can be operated in Manual if you want to use off camera. You could actually buy ANY flash if you don't plan to use it on-camera.

Last edited:
Sorry to sound like a pain, but there are too many variables here.

If you're planning on going the off camera Manual route, then look out some strobist forums, there are some Vivitar units with great Manual controls.

If you want to maintain control of your flash with your camera, then you'll need a dedicated flash, one of the Canon ones or the list in Jims post. You'll also need a long dedicated cable or to buy some OCF radio controllers. In the UK that'd be the PocetWizard flex units, but in the US they're not as reliable as the RadioPoppers. OCF with ETTL support gets expensive.

Learn to use what you have for now, you'll only need a Flash, when you NEED one, and by then you'll have a better idea what you want to do with it, and it'll make your choice easier.

If you're going to be shooting with the flash mounted on the camera you should also look for a tilt and swivel head with automatic zoom. This will give you the flexibility to aim the flash in any direction so that you can bounce it off walls/ceiling when shooting indoors.

You might also find High Speed Sync a useful feature, allowing you to shoot at shutter speeds faster than the sync speed of your camera. This is especially useful when wishing to shoot at wide apertures (for shallow DOF) outdoors while using flash for some fill.

I have a Canon 580EX and 580 EX II. They are not cheap, but do most of the things you could wish for. If you are happy to go off camera, Strobist style, then you will probably be able to make do with far simpler manual flash units without a host of fancy features.

Pound for pound, if I was looking to "invest" in a good and well featured flash with the flexibility and performance to cover all needs I'd probably go for the Nissin Di866 Mark II, although I haven't looked at the flash market lately so I don't know all the options now available.

Amazon link for Nissin Di866 II - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002A9IZ...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B002A9IZ9C

Last edited:
It's good that this topic has been brought up here. This is sometimes the problem that needed some help. have learned a lot. Thanks!:)

By the way, there is a thread on the go at the moment about High Speed Sync - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=399563

It might be a bit overwhelming if you are new to flash, but if any of it makes sense you might see a value in having the feature.

Oh, and here is a video that shows the flexibility offered by a tilt/swivel head - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bor3V2sFa-I. It is a bit of a sales pitch for the bounce card he sells, but if you can ignore that (you can easily make your own) hopefully you will understand how a tilt/swivel head expands your options.

Last edited:
Phil V said:
Learn to use what you have for now, you'll only need a Flash, when you NEED one, and by then you'll have a better idea what you want to do with it, and it'll make your choice easier.
That's exactly the conclusion I came to after spending a few days looking for the best suited flash :)
I'll get to it when needed.

I've got a Canon 5D3 and a 60D on the way. I've also got Canon 580EX II and a Nissin Di866 and there's not much between the 2 to be honest. The Canon is excellent but it cost well over £300 when bought and works seamlessly with the 5D3. The Nissin was bought when I had a 550D (T2i) and is terrific. It's well made, very powerful and highly featured and is around the £200 mark. The wife uses a Nissin Di622 with my old 550D now and that is surprizingly fully featured too. Both of the Nissin's are very energy efficient lasting to more than 800 shots on a fully charged set of batteries.

I've got a 550D, you would certainly need an external flash to increase IQ as the onboard flash is pants so to speak, unless using it for the odd fill. I would recommend a 580 EX II if you have a big budget, if not then go for the 430 EX II, both amazing flashes

If you want to invest with something that is flexible enough to grow with you, supports on and off camera, TTL, 2nd curtain, high speed and multiflash, then I recommend the Nissin Di 866 MK II.

It has all the features + more of a Canon 580EX MK II and is slightly higher GN, but I bought mine cheaper than a Canon 430 EX MK II.

Mani Gill said:
I've got a 550D, you would certainly need an external flash to increase IQ as the onboard flash is pants so to speak, unless using it for the odd fill. I would recommend a 580 EX II if you have a big budget, if not then go for the 430 EX II, both amazing flashes

After some research I came to the conclusion that the 580 ex 11 was one of the best (thought pricy). I figured it would better to buy the best now instead of having to upgrade it later down the road. I was very close to buying it when last night I broke my tripod and have to replace it now. :(. I guess I will have to put it off for a little wail now. Thank for the advise.

I have a 580EXII and it will do everything you would wish a flash to do and will light the taramac with its power, I bought a polaroid difuser as i read the sto-fen ones can be a bit tight on the 580EXII's, Also an off camera cord is a very good buy because although you can use the 580EXII wireless with your camera you do loose the direct ability to change setting for the flash with your camera quickly.

I have a 430ex ii smaller and lighter than the 580 plus cheaper. Its a good flash with tilt and swivel.

shaylou said:
After some research I came to the conclusion that the 580 ex 11 was one of the best (thought pricy). I figured it would better to buy the best now instead of having to upgrade it later down the road. I was very close to buying it when last night I broke my tripod and have to replace it now. :(. I guess I will have to put it off for a little wail now. Thank for the advise.

I agree, buy the best now otherwise buy twice, I have made that mistake and learning from it. I wish I had found this forum earlier. I guess your probably after a new tripod as well? As am I :( I am now skint!

I don't even get time to use the stuff much :(

I've been looking a Nissin flash for my Canon 450D and I agree this has been a useful thread, thanks

Back