Free Beginner photography products

Name
James zeng
Edit My Images
No
For people who just learn photography, what kind of products to choose will be more appropriate?

A camera and standard lens with a memory card, maybe something to transport it in (even there there are multiple different types of bags/carry cases). No point getting much else until you know why you’re getting it and what it will do.

Every beginners mistake is buying multiple accessories because they’ve heard they are must have accessories. Often they sit unused as they don’t need them for the genre they become interested in.

Reactions: Sky
A camera and standard lens with a memory card, maybe something to transport it in (even there there are multiple different types of bags/carry cases). No point getting much else until you know why you’re getting it and what it will do.

Every beginners mistake is buying multiple accessories because they’ve heard they are must have accessories. Often they sit unused as they don’t need them for the genre they become interested in.
Thank you very much for your advice. How should I start to improve my photography skills?

What Rob said. (y)

For everything else; buy it as you NEED it.

Welcome to TP James. :)

Last edited:
A beginner usually just points and clicks, and some people do that all their lives. Hopefully they are happy :).

Learning some of the techniques means that you can judge things more and are more in control. This might go hand in hand with learning to see photographically, almost like becoming a camera yourself. Because the eyes & the mind often blur things for convenience, whilst the camera is more literal.

Look at lots of photos, try to analyse why you like them (or not!). And the more you study technique, the more you'll start to understand about how they were made. But it's not just technical - it's about feel as well.

There are loads of informal educational sources available free. There's a load of guff out there too, so it's like navigating your way through the wilderness. But if you stay interested, keep going.

You should learn a lot by doing, and reviewing what you've done. When you think you see a problem - research the answer. It gets easier with experience.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your advice. How should I start to improve my photography skills?

Get out and about and take some shots of things that interest you. See what effect changing settings has on the results.

I'd go along with Rob too.

Don't get sucked into the 'real photographers shoot in manual' nonsense. Learn about exposure, about aperture and shutter speed and the effects they have, but above all look for what makes an image compelling and work most at that.

@James88 Maybe you could tell us a bit more about yourself, what camera gear you have, the sort of photography you enjoy? Are you an enthusiastic amateur of wanting to progress to become professional? We like to get to know a little about new members. That way we can offer more suitable encouragement and help.

Ask us some questions :)
Show us what you do, what you want to improve or even what you’d like to do.
there’s experts here in almost every field of photography, technique and bit of kit.

Back