Beginner Beginner photos.

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I bought a nikon D3400 to take better pictures from when I had a marine fish tank. I had my camera set up with help to get the settings to near enough where they needed to be to do this.

I have recently started getting quite a few different birds in my garden so decided to try and improve on my photography skills.
I am using a Nikon DX af-p 70-300mm lens at the moment. Could anyone help with shutter speed, aperture settings etc to get some detailed pictures. Also could anybody point me in the right direction to upload some of my attempts.

Thanks in advance

Craig

He's a few pictures that I have taken. I don't think my lens has a long enough range. Any help appreciated.

CraigDSC_0473.JPGDSC_0482.JPGDSC_0502.JPGDSC_0507.JPGDSC_0526.JPGDSC_0540.JPGDSC_0463.JPGDSC_0553.JPGDSC_0570.JPGDSC_0531.JPG

I did a little wildlife workshop a while back, one thing that the instructor drummed into us time and time again was to keep shutter speed at 1/500 or above, there is so much micro movement in animals and in their fur/feathers. Aperture wise mostly you will get away with wide open, in your lens I guess that would be f5.6
Use the ISO setting to ensure you can keep the shutter speed high enough.

I guess it won't be long before you get hooked and will want a longer lens too ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips and yes I usually end up going all in. I only put the feeder up a few weeks ago after somebody I work with gave me some Niger seeds, he used to breed goldfinches. Which lens would you recommend if I were to go longer??

Depends on your budget Craig, a Sigma or Tamron 150-500/600 would be a logical step, or if you can spare ~£900 the Nikkor 200-500/5.6.

What Karl said is true, shutter speeds with the telephoto shots of birds need to be fast because of they are such fast movers and because of the pixel density of cameras these days even the smallest movement is magnified; shots taken with 6-10MP would actually sharper than one taken on 20-24MP. This was explained to me by Simon Stafford.

If the D3400 has auto-ISO use that and set the camera to shutter priority to 1/500th if you haven;t already done so. Worth a try

Thank you again for the advice, I have set that to 1/500 and taken a test shot which seems better. I'm just waiting for the subjects to come for breakfast and the real test will begin. I will have a look into a longer lens not sure the wife will be too pleased with me spending £900 atm tho [emoji849]

Thank you again for the advice, I have set that to 1/500 and taken a test shot which seems better. I'm just waiting for the subjects to come for breakfast and the real test will begin. I will have a look into a longer lens not sure the wife will be too pleased with me spending £900 atm tho [emoji849]

Search MPB, WEX, Ffordes etc for used

Why spend a lot of money when your 70-300mm lens is capable? If you set up a good perch with a clean background then you will get better results. We all want and get tempted in buying better more expensive gear. By all means do that but it won't make you a better photographer. Practice, practice and more practice and learning from your mistakes makes you a better photographer.

:agree: Bird shots do not have to have the bird filling the frame, like environmental portrait shots they can have the bird in its setting. If you do that you need to work on composition so that the bird is the focal point and the environment is interesting and adds to the picture.
I'm not saying this is great but it gives you an idea of what I am rambling on about :)
DSC_0618-2.jpg

I wasnt planning on spending any money on a new lens, I am hoping to improve with practice like you say. The reason I asked is from the pictures I have taken (which are from inside the house) I can't seem to quite get the detail that I can if I can get cc closer because I am at the max of the distance of the lens. Thanks for the feedback, any advise is important.

Yes I see what you are saying, I really like that picture there's something about black and white. I tried capturing a heron this morning but never got chance to get a good shot in the end.DSC_0635.jpeg

When you say you are shooting from inside the house do you mean through glass? as that will reduce the quality.
In addition if you have a filter on to protect the lens take it off when the lens does not need protecting.
If you can sit near the feeder, and you have a lot of patience, you should find that once they are used to you the birds will feed even if you are near.

Yes I'm shooting through glass on the shots where the feeder is in the picture. I sometimes take the dog along the track where I have seen yellowhammers, whitethroats and wheatears which do not come to my garden but I can't get close enough at all. The blue tit pic below is through glass the others are not. I am trying to build up trust with the birds, I remember watching my grandad feed garden birds out of his hands when I was very young.DSC_0507.JPGDSC_0571.jpegDSC_0513.jpegDSC_0478.jpegDSC_0531.jpegDSC_0567.jpeg

May I suggest, when photographing animals, such as the Dog shown above- get down to his/her level - makes for a much nicer shot in my opinion as for bird photography ( which I do a lot) get a longer lens :runaway:and get down to their level if on water or the ground

like this shot I did of a Local Coot, I laid on the grass to get the right perspective- Happy Snapping

DSC02133 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Another way to get close without a longer lens is to set the camera up on a tripod, close to a perch or feeder, focus and set it and then step away and use a remote control to fire the camera

Had a few visiters this morning, first time we ve had the great tit in the garden and the dear was closer for a change. If somebody could i.d the bird on the grass that would be great. CheersDSC_0667.jpegDSC_0664.jpegDSC_0663.jpegDSC_0661.jpegDSC_0673.jpegDSC_0646.jpegDSC_0639.jpegDSC_0638.jpeg

Another thing to think of is as an example the picture of your child, is to avoid putting them slap bang in the middle of the shot, general rule is the rule of thirds one.. on that shot the odds and ends to his back are not needed, so crop it out so he is positioned over the the right of the shot, it will improve the look of the image and draw the eye, onto him and make him the main subject.

examples of rule of thirds

https://www.google.com/search?q=rul...UIHVU3C8oQ_h0wAHoECAsQBA#imgrc=m5IYriGAKJ2LIM:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the advise it's comments like that which were the reasons for joining this forum. I would never have thought that far into my photos without your help.

Thanks suvv my dad said the same, also I thought it was a very colourful blue tit until I sent him the photo s to identify

As for your birds, if moses cannot get close to the mount, bring the mount close to moses...

Find a really interesting dead old branch with lichen etc on it, stand it in a bucket or the likes with stones to support it or push it into the lawn and position it close to where you are photgraphing from, then put a food source just out of sight for the birds to feed from.. you will now get them landing close to where you are photographing from and hopefully using the branch as a perch source which is both interesting photographic wise. and if you have to shoot through glass put the lens up to the widow ( Clean ) so it stops light reflection.

example

https://drewbuckleyphotography.com/winter-project-feeding-station/

Last edited:
Yesterday at 10:58 AM
New #22

Had a few visiters this morning, first time we ve had the great tit in the garden and the dear was closer for a change. If somebody could i.d the bird on the grass that would be great. Cheers

Its a Dunnock or Hedge Sparrow

like this
DSC01618 by Les Moxon, on Flickr

Les :)

Hi Tony, thanks for the tips again. Yeah it just feels like I'm just to short from where I sit to where the birds feed hence why I asked about the longer lens. I have made a ground feeder today and placed it closer to the house to try and entice them in.

And yes it would be boring if you picked a camera up and took world class. I love learning new things from scratch. Also I appreciate all the help so far.

I've been trying to get a good picture for days now. This is the best one I believe I've taken. Any feedback positive or negative appreciated.IMG_20200511_154258.jpg

That's not half bad, you are definatelly 1000% better than your fence ones, try a reduced depth of field to blur out the background if you can, but keeping the bird in focus. Well done, keep it up you are definately getting there.

Thanks Tony I am pleased with the result, that was taken while out walking the dog. I have moved the feeder in the garden closer to the house but there is no back drop behind it as I have lowered the fence. Hoping to get some trees planted in the near future. I'll keep practicing until then.

Back