Beginner Beginner

Hey feller - welcome to TP.

Usually just photography by wandering - whether town or country, if I see something interesting then I photograph it.

Hi! Just wondering how you all find inspiration and what you enjoy photographing the most?

When I was little I loved to draw and then when I was 10 my parents bought me a Kodak Instamatic for my birthday. I used it on days out and holidays and was happy enough and then one day I took a picture of my sister stroking a horse with the sun behind them and they came out in almost silhouette and I thought WoW as I realised that a camera could be used to record reality and also for a more artistic result too, just like drawing.

These days I do more or less the same. I use my camera to record the realities of the people and places and things I love or for whatever reason want to record and remember and occasionally I use the kit to end up with a result which may be different than a recorded scene or thing.

In terms of inspiration, it is a gut thing. At least from a non-professional perspective, it just pops up there and then and I just take it. I still find it hard to beat the awkwardness and embarrassment of capturing pictures when people are around but alas I take the picture before quickly returning to my cave to analyze it.

In terms of interest, normally I look for two things. Either a photo that looks like a scene in a movie/music video. Usually, it is a location as I do not like photographing people at the moment. I am a beginner so it is usually unedited and natural oppose to stagged. The other is a distorted, maybe surreal, image. I am really bad at it at the moment but there is this photographer called Ben Zank on Instagram who does it so well.

Last edited:
What inspires me? To bring to life an idea for an image that comes to my mind. This means quite a lot of planning and preparation to be in the right place at the right time to get what I need. My success rate is still quite low, but when something really works it’s very satisfying. Let us know how you get on :)

Welcome to TP!

I find inspiration all over the place. Some members here, my students, people who's books I buy, Flickr groups (esp groups at locations close to me), Instagram and on and on... All of that inspires me to try many different genres. Mostly though, I enjoy photographing my family and people.

Hi! Just wondering how you all find inspiration and what you enjoy photographing the most?
Now that's quite a question! That's one of the things with photography; you can enjoy taking photos of all sorts of subjects but here's the irony... what you think you'd like to take photographs of might not necessarily be what you eventually find you are good at taking photographs of!

I think the key to enjoyment is as much about the journey and learning to 'see' as finding the destination itself. Anyway, welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy the hobby. :)

Like many others, it's being out with a camera and looking for what interests me.

And as a point of information, the OP doesn't seem to have been back since posting the question three months ago.

All my images are uploaded to stock sites, have been for the past 10 years. Inspiration has been 'will this sell?' but with stock slowly dying a painful death I now photograph what 'I' want to. I still still upload them to stock sties, just don't care quite so much if they sell and actually get some enjoyment from my photography again.

Inspiration.... what a tough question. In some ways it just happens in other ways you make it happen. I tend to just go out and let it find me, be it a street scene, abstract, landscape or my kids. Other times i get an idea in my head and i go out to shoot it.
Start by just taking photos of things you like, then see what you like about those photos, which may inspire you to take better ones of similar subject or encourage you to find new ones.
Either way, have fun [emoji41]

... as a point of information, the OP doesn't seem to have been back since posting the question three months ago.

that's because a spammer's account resurrected the thread for some nefarious means. Don't bother looking, he's left the room on the point of one of my colleagues boot.

Back