Beginner beginner's tuition

Name
james
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, new to photography and am really enjoying learning. I have been looking various things up on net and reading books but am wondering if it's worth doing a course. Found one local which is a year's 1-1 mentoring with a professional , 10 or so one to one sessions (one a month-aug & dec off) with assignments in between meets. £500. Sounds like a good idea, but fair bit of cash.
So you think this kind off course would be good for a beginner?

Hi James,

I would try your local college first. Most do a 10 week or so evening course for around £200.

Cheers,

Dougie.

Hi all, new to photography and am really enjoying learning. I have been looking various things up on net and reading books but am wondering if it's worth doing a course. Found one local which is a year's 1-1 mentoring with a professional , 10 or so one to one sessions (one a month-aug & dec off) with assignments in between meets. £500. Sounds like a good idea, but fair bit of cash.
So you think this kind off course would be good for a beginner?
Sounds a lot find your local camera club and see if they recommend someone.
I paid a lot less for my lessons

It might be a big help if you want to use manual mode especially.

Its very complicated, if I get a good shot it is an accident lol.

There are lots of online youtube videos. I found Mike Browne's tutorials very helpful. I personally would explore your camera for a while with guidance from Mike B online videos and then maybe take a course once you have gained some basic knowledge. Whatever way you go i'm sure you will enjoy the experience with lots of ups and downs, it is a big learning curve for sure. (n)

Mike Browne very good for beginners
I did an evening course at my local college wasn't very good
The syllabus was fine but the tutor was very disorganised
Best advice I have seen on here which took me some time to heed was get out and practice, practice, practice

£500 seems like a lot to me. Not sure where you are based but check out “going digital” they do starter courses for £85. I did one years ago and it was a game changer for me. Also try one of the photo a day or 52’s they are a good way to learn as you have to think and try different things

Save your money, There are plenty of tutorials on youtube to get you started. I never did a course I learn't by practise, yes and made a lot of mistakes on the way but that is the learning curve

Last edited:
Hello James and welcome to TP. I agree with the comments about the cost of your proposed course. I can understand some folks prefer face to face tuition to books or computer based tutorials. However, I suggest yo spend a bit of time looking at the free stuff online.

Google for 'the exposure triangle'; you'll find plenty. Also go through your camera's manual and just take lots of photos.

Try to analyse your shots - did they turn out the way you wanted. If not, can you work out why? If not, post the photo here and someone will be able to help.

Dave

Courses can be rather variable; a lot depends on the sylabus, more on the Tutor(s), more still, in the other folk on the course.

When I did City & Guilds, many many years ago, we had three regular tutors.and were lucky, one was member of very renowned local photo society, other a member of their equally renowned rival, and one was a member of both..... each had their pet specialties;

One was all for people & portraiture, the other all for architectural and landscapes, whilst the third was a confirmed dark-room jockey.

One was very keen on the 'science', that we knew an f-stop from a bus stop, knew the different metering methods and DoF etc, and had particular pet thing about 'lighting'. He looked on with disgust at even 'semi' automatic SLRs, let alone compacts!

Other, was more concerned with composition; taking the time to review the full frame .... "North-South-East-West, check the corners, THEN the rest"... I still remember it now, after almost thirty years and Alzheimers has set in! He actually set us the junk-shop camera challenge; he really didn't care much for how fancy your camera was, just where you chose to point it.

The Dark room Jockey..... was M-A-D!!! I liked him! I'm reliably informed that its the effect of long term exposure to hypo-fumes lol! He was actually a very good counter-point to the other two, offering opinion on how much you CANT correct in post... but how much you 'may' achieve... if you get it clean in camera first, and how the best post-process manipulations aren't salvage jobs, but demand more diligence in shooting to make the image(s) to mess with to get the desired 'effect' in repro.

Between the three, and the few gust lecturers pulled in from ether club from time to time, we got a very 'balanced' idea of what was what....And not a computator in sight!

But, folk on the course made as much odds.

There were at that time, quite a number of middle-aged house-wives, with time on their hands as kids had grown up, having replaced the hand-bag Instamatic with a all-singing-all-dancing 'Auto-Focus' SLR, chap in the shop had assured them was as point and shoot friendly as their disc camera, but so much 'better'... that they soon found WASN'T, really..... I had come from hobby photography at uni, mostly reading the mags and books, a couple were similar, one chap was even a pro-wedding snapper, who in semi-retirement was bored of the same five poses, two lens settings and a permutation of three different aperture shutter combinations tweaked to meter on the day, who wanted to get that bit 'more' from the 10000's of £ worth of Bronicas in his bag!

It was an eclectic 'mix' and large enough after the couple of lightweights dropped out, to be fairly dynamic, and with mix of ages and abilities 'challenging' to the tutors, all asking different questions from our own experience, and feed from and to each other, taking different angles on each of the weekly assignments, and the 'critique' session we had in the coffee break.

NOW.... you cant bank on any one of those 'ingredients'.... I think I was quite lucky, really, but even as course tutor pointed out, it really is all circumstance dependent, and even with great mix of tutors and tutor approaches and specializations, so much depends on the students... and what they expect and what inspires them, and what their objectives are.

What you DO NOT get from video tutorials, or from books or magazines or 'on-line' resources, IS that multi-way dynamic of a 'class', where you can learn as much from your peers as your tutors.

But even on a course, and my daughter was lucky once and less lucky second time, doing O & A levels. with a single tutor things can be very much more 'staid', not so much being taught 'photography' as one tutors approach to it, which may be quite a narrow one. On 'O' level, daughters tutor was, frankly NUTS! Very much of the old serendipity-photo school; get up, get out and just do it, and a lot of messing in post to make something more interesting of the results, which was probably about spot-on for a bunch of 15/16 year olds thinking it a 'doss-lesson'. On 'A' Level, her tutor was very much more diligent, and concerned not with results and effect or intent, but much more rigid, photo-science, demonstrating the effect of aperture or shutter or lens, lighting and pose; ie formal 'settings' and discipline that did frustrate the girl... but still, even with a much more narrow range of academic students, still a fair mix of ideas and approaches and plenty to discuss over coffee in critique.

SO!!!! I don't think that there IS a panacea answer here. You need to mix the mediums a bit. A formal course IS good. You get challenged to do stuff you probably wouldn't if left to your own devices, in the assignments. You 'can' get some useful know-how from interacting with your class-mates, you wont sat at home trying to go-it-alone, and more from tutor, or tutors, which MAY include extra curricular reading matter or tutorials, as well as chance to 'play' with alternative cameras, and widen experience you would't get elsewhere.

Significantly for 'me' on course, was the 'Medium-Format' debate, and the one tutor who specialized in people utterly convinced it was the 'only' medium worth it's salt; vs the other who specialized in architecture and landscape, who was more sanguine, and loath to lug that much kit up a mountain, every time! Curiously, all three, and the pro-student, were ALL quite disparaging about SLR's in general! "Jack of all-trades techno-wonders!" it was about the only thing that all agreed on, TBH Lol!

So, what can I suggest? Well, a local college of FE night-class, is probably a good place to start. I have no idea what they cost these days, I think mine was something daft like £15 to be paid in three termly installments! A-N-D recently evicted from uni and on the dole looking for a 'popper' job I think even that was waved on a UB40!

From experience with daughter, & other half and my own migration to widget, modern commercialization of college courses has seen some rather daft prices attached. But check them out.

My local CoFE, I noted ran some quite 'cheap' six week'ish short courses, for about £50 or so, that are probably a good toe-in the water, and can build towards a more recognized qualification like a C&G or BTEC or GCSE. Noted that my local CoFE, even listed some of them as after-noon classes, timed for primary-school pick-up, as well as longer more formal evening classes.

I think I would be loath to chuck the sort of cash that would buy me an Entry DSLR outfit at an 'independent' who could be nothing more than an part time tutor who's lost their college course 'cos of student numbers, or a wedding snapper trying to make up for out of season job drop-off. They COULD be bludy good photographers, or they could be fantastic teachers, but two aren't mutually inclusive, and all rather more 'pot-luck', especially if they have their own script, and aren't even working to an independently defined syllabus like one of the colleges.... here, asking during a toe-in the water short course could give me a clue whether they may be worth a shout, as well as whether short course was worth persevering with or whether the local photo-club could offer anything.

End of the day, its your call; BUT, photography is a HUGE topic, and so much is down to pot luck & circumstance, more still to your approach and aspiration, more that of your tutor, more still fellow students... and where YOUR starting knowledge and aspirations sit in comparison.

I have to say, though that a formal course DOES offer something you just cat get going it alone, on line or from books; and I have to 'sort' of put club photography in with independents, ad huge area of uncertainty. Some clubs can be very cliquey; some may offer very good photo-training sessions, but its very pot luck; and many clubs have very narrow realms of specialization... notably 'competition-photo'.. hence my three lecturers on C&G... one specializing in people & portraiture, on on Architecture & landscape, the third, on dark-room 'effect' and 'abstract'.. if you want to do competition photo, it can be very good... if you just want to take better snap-shots of the family it can lead you into a very different world!

As said, start by assessing candidly your current level; thing long and hard about your aspirations; and then check out local CoFE brochures; you may get some hints and tips from on-line and or how to-books; and your local library probably has a good collection of 'how to' books worth checking out (As well as notice board and or rack of pamphlets for local CoFE courses!).. it's worth doing some back-ground reading and research, which, once you have picked a course is likely to continue being worth-while.

As said, there's no single panacea one-size fits all answer here; you have to mix and match a bit, and do your home-work.

Hi James welcome to the site. I'm fairly new to this too, I watched a few things on YouTube to start with then I bought the dummies guide for my camera which I found really useful. It showed me how to use the different features on the camera and how to set it up for different kinds of photos. It's was a good starting point for me anyway

Thanks for all the replies. Decided to keep reading, watching videos and practice practice practice for now :)

10 lessons from a PRO at £50 each wow he,s cheep most pro's charge hundreds (read hundreds as 4/5 hundred) of pounds for a half day(read half day as 4hrs) so either he's not very good or you have a bargain.i would check him out with maybe a sample lesson if he offers one all the advice about learning by your mistakes is nonsense why take years getting it wrong when you can take 1 year getting it right. JMHO cheers Mike.

I see someone above quoted mike brown who's teaching style I love but check out his 1-1 training its in the several hundreds for a half day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. Decided to keep reading, watching videos and practice practice practice for now :)

Hi Jamie, there’s good advice above. To share my experience, I spent a lot of time watching videos and practicing and it definitely helped. Then a took a year’s “advanced” classroom and practical shooting course and that was brilliant. I found the chance to ask questions and discuss face to face, and share experience with colleagues in the class really useful. If you do want to go on course later, ask to speak to some past students to find out more before spending out.

I'd agree with the practice/read/YouTube advice and maybe just add that it might be an idea to join a local camera/photography club? Do a bit of research on them first and make sure they go on plenty of outings/have tutorials/talks and are happy to help out beginners. I'm the chair of my local club and one of our biggest ethos' is to help the beginners - maybe buddying up with someone a bit more advanced with the same or similar model camera or doing back to basics nights every few months. Plus we have a group Facebook page that people can ask for help etc. I've actually learned loads from my fellow clubbers. Plus I've made some fantastic friends who I may not have had the opportunity to meet otherwise!!

I think most of all too is to enjoy!! :cool:

There is so much readily available information/ guides/ tutorials etc on the internet and especially youtube is a real tool that can be helpful I find. I personally did a online course and it was great at the beginning because it was really informative but I never completed it because I felt that I was getting more information from just doing research and watching videos. If you want someone to physically show you things, see if there is a club near you. I would avoid the £500 though, it seems very expensive.

The most valuable knowledge is to be gained first hand, go out and play around with your camera and its settings. Soon enough you will find out what works and what doesn't for a given situation. Just have fun with it.

Everyone has different learning styles, but my personal advice would be not to make the mistake of thinking you can throw money at this situation and walk out the other end as an accomplished photographer. There are SO many free resources out there it is pretty pointless going to a class (in my view) unless you are looking to hone one specific aspect of your photography that you simply cannot find elsewhere.

One of the first things I ever bought was a 'complete guide to photography' magazine from Tesco of all places, it cost less than a tenner and it had so much useful information in. I also purchased a 20 week photography guidebook, that had a series of lessons that you had to practice each week - even if you didn't manage to practice the lessons, there was so much information in there that you could apply to other areas of shooting. YouTube is invaluable, as are forums such as this one, which I have just joined to look and improve myself (for free).

Photography is hard and difficult a lot of the time, but it gets easier with practice. The amazing photos you see all over the internet are the product (in most cases) of years of hard work on the part of the photographer, probably couple with plenty more hard work learning how to use software such as Lightroom and Photoshop.

The bottom line is, you should expect to spend several months at least just reading, watching and absorbing everything you can get your hands on, but most of all - practice! Review your shots, decide what works and what doesn't and adjust accordingly. Top tip - when literally first starting, cheat a little and use Auto mode, and when you take a shot you are happy with look at the aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings, then try and re-create the shot in manual mode using the same settings.

I did do a 10 week course in local uni which was useful.It depends on what you want to achieve at the end of the course.It is good if you want to learn bascis

Good luck

On the whole i would agree with the feedback. Mike Browne is very good. He does a one day course which again is excellent. I completed my GCSE in photography at night school around 6 year ago and it was well worth it. Online videos are great for picking things but the only problem is they dont give you feedback when you have taken the image.! While you can post images on places like this, Facebook ect people are generally very polite and dont like to make constructive comments. So I would find someone who's opinion you trust who will be honest with you about your pictures and how you can improve. That may well be a camera club or someone who you know already thats a more advance level.

I did a local course 10 week course from a local photography training place. They do weekend courses on landscapes, portrait sessions etc. This was every Wednesday night for 3 hours for £150 and was brilliant, we covered so many skills, including portrait and lighting sessions. The last week we had a model to shoot.

Back