being creative

Name
ash
Edit My Images
No
Hi my name is Ash, im disabled and use a wheelchair, im 39 and im from Wales. I'm interested in photography but im unable to get out and about to do landscape photography, it's difficult on my own. What can i do indoors with photography using limited equipment? I have limited movement so it's difficult for me to set things up.

Wow there's a bit of a question. No idea how your movement is I see you are disabled but can you set up lights etc?
You could do macro photography,toy photography. There are some amazing Lego photographers out there.
Quick search on Flickr helps

Hi Ash, welcome.

As I'm not sure how limited your movement is, I'll start with the suggestion of recreating miniature movie scenes. Something you can take your time over, if you're able.

You could buy figures/lego to use - but i've seen someone recreate a cityscape out of trash, and light it up to look like a scene from bladerunner.

The way I understand it, your legs are not in the game but
what about your arms, hands? What is the extent of your
handicap(s)?

A univers is at your finger tips… if they can support some
of your ambitions. What gear is at your disposal? And…

:welcome: Ash!

Welcome to TP Ash.

As others have asked,how does your disability affect the use of your hands? I do feel your pain as I'm also a wheelchair user but I haven't picked up my camera in months. I also have problems with my hands so that's an added frustration.

If you can't get out of the house, then some sort of table top photography is a good place to start. A basic lightbox and a couple of desk lamps could be useful if you don't have access to lighting equipment. What photographic equipment do you have?

How about flower photography, either cut flowers or plants in small pots. You could do a lot with available light from a suitable window, plus some reflectors. There is fantastic range of shapes, colours and textures in flowers, and they lend themselves to both colour and black and white images, and manipulation at the processing stage. And the flowers can be of interest in their own right.

Try double exposure pictures - creating one image from two? As long as your camera has this feature then you can use it to take unique images.

Hi Ash and welcome to TP

This is a good forum with lots of folk to aid and encourage your photographic endeavours, so do post your kit list and as mentioned how you feel limited in handling it.

Did you know there is a dedicated website for disabled photographers here http://www.the-dps.co.uk

All the best to you :)

As others have said, without knowing how well you can use your hands/arms, then it's difficult to guide properly.

Thoughts from me:

Still life indoors, either of plants or different foods (bowls of fruit or something more creative). You may be in a position to reate a lightbox of some sort to experiment with.

Maybe, again indoors, play around with bracketing to create HDR if your camera allows it

Ash - have you been in touch with the 'disabled photographers association' ? Or it might be club. I know there is one, years ago they were asking for donations of kit. I gave them my much used F4s when I upgraded to the F5. I don't know if they are still going, but there must be a way of finding out on the internet. They will have members who have gone through the exact same starting position as yourself and would probably be in a better position to advise than we are - they may even have trips out and visits and things. Not ALL landscape photography will be difficult to access for you. Cityscapes and seafronts spring to mind.
Keep u posted as to how you go on and the ideas you come up with.

Ash - have you been in touch with the 'disabled photographers association' ? Or it might be club. I know there is one, years ago they were asking for donations of kit. I gave them my much used F4s when I upgraded to the F5. I don't know if they are still going, but there must be a way of finding out on the internet. They will have members who have gone through the exact same starting position as yourself and would probably be in a better position to advise than we are - they may even have trips out and visits and things. Not ALL landscape photography will be difficult to access for you. Cityscapes and seafronts spring to mind.
Keep u posted as to how you go on and the ideas you come up with.

Hi Simon

Not sure if we are 'talking' about the same organisation but I did post a linky in post #9 for such a society.

PS How are you doing? Cannot recall if you updated................are you all fully recovered from the injuries?

Hi Simon

Not sure if we are 'talking' about the same organisation but I did post a linky in post #9 for such a society.

PS How are you doing? Cannot recall if you updated................are you all fully recovered from the injuries?

I think we are talking about the same Society - but because you only used initials I didn't spot it. I am an old, cantancerous, halfwit who needs it written out in full. ;) Anyway, Ash has had two prods in the same direction, hopefully there will be some useful gen within the replies that he can make use of.

It is good of you to ask. I am still attending hospital on a weekly basis, but getting there. Although I am now officially 'out of work'. I got the phone call yesterday to tell me that even the bike mags work has gone down the swanny as a result. They have a load on file to use up, so work 'banked' from before last June, but there can't be much left. Consequently, I shall have to start to find out how one goes about looking for a job nowadays. Not having had to do it for over 30 years, I have no idea how you look for work now. I also found out, I am entitled to NOTHING, no benefit or sick pay whatsoever from any quarter. As I suspected some years ago, I shall just have to fend for myself. I have had some good news, they are going to pay me an interim payment for the bike and riding gear (only 8 months after the crash) which will put me in a better position. I knew it couldn't last - still got the fishing, shooting and motorboats, but to be honest it was the bikes that made those other features viable. It was good while it lasted, so I can't complain.

Hi ash and welcome to the group. You could get some good close-up shots of various household items or the suggestion of getting some Lego to make scenes with would be cool. On writing this I'm looking at my daughter's playmobile hospital thinking i could get some interesting shots of it.

Hi my name is Ash, im disabled and use a wheelchair, im 39 and im from Wales. I'm interested in photography but im unable to get out and about to do landscape photography, it's difficult on my own. What can i do indoors with photography using limited equipment? I have limited movement so it's difficult for me to set things up.

when I had a spell of being unable to get outside and do my (then) favoured landscape stuff, I had a think about things, and decided to go right back to school - art classes, especially the "still life" sessions. Now, I was never any good at drawing, painting or anything like that, BUT I thought to myself "well, here's your 'media' then Mark" - take photo's instead of trying and failing to paint things.

So, I raided a fruitbowl, and prompted by some half-assed memories of still life stuff from art appreciation classes I tried a few shots.

they were pretty universally awful... Example being here

So, I read up on the subject, researched things, learned a lot about lighting and the way the original works were lit and created... and I practiced. and I improved a bit

which sent me right the way down the rabbit hole.

More research, more props, better lights, hours of practicing techniques, building props (walls, tables... yep... that obsessive)

and Again a bit of an improvement... at which point, i was pretty much free to start and experiment with things and start taking the pictures that had been building up inside my head, that I'd been unable to get out into the world...

I guess what I'm saing is that all the suggestions above are fine - tabletop photography, be it Macro, playing around with Lego, Still Life (I like this because you can often eat the props you buy for the shot... ;) ) or whatever... but the CREATIVE has to come from inside YOU - the subjects can sometimes be the inspiration, but the thing that makes it CREATIVE is that foot behind the cameras viewfinder - your brain.

Good luck with any projects you come up with - and please keep posting up what you do, or what you get stuck on - there's some really great people on here technically, who'll help on that side, and there's even one or two who dont consider the the terms CREATIVE or (whispers) Artistic a swear word... :)

I spent a week photographing pears as they decayed. That was fun. I’ve done focus stacking with orchids and electronics.

Back