Bempton Cliffs

RKC

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking about have a mini break to include Bempton Cliffs
From the RSPB
"From April to August, the cliffs are alive with nest-building adults or young chicks taking their first faltering steps. Between mid-April and mid-July, the much-loved puffin also makes its home here"

I would like to see Puffins and Ganetts mainly, has any got any advice the best time to go as April-July is quite a spread of time

Gannets and Razors are a plenty! Puffins aren't as popular but there are still a few flirting about. I think i went a little late (August) to see 'all' the Puffins, but i mainly went for the Gannets as they're easy to photograph and very comical.

Puffins will be around from end of May to beginning of July mainly Rob but be warned that it can be difficult to see many Puffins at Bempton, last year on a day's visit we saw maybe 3 individuals ... it's well worth a visit for the Gannets and Fulmars (as well as some small meadow birds) but Puffins aren't a major feature.

Gannets and Razors are a plenty! Puffins aren't as popular but there are still a few flirting about. I think i went a little late (August) to see 'all' the Puffins, but i mainly went for the Gannets as they're easy to photograph and very comical.

Puffins will be around from end of May to beginning of July mainly Rob but be warned that it can be difficult to see many Puffins at Bempton, last year on a day's visit we saw maybe 3 individuals ... it's well worth a visit for the Gannets and Fulmars (as well as some small meadow birds) but Puffins aren't a major feature.

Thank you Dave and Roger just the sort of feedback I needed, was hoping puffins would be plentiful although I do want to see Gannets,Razor , so will have to think about the Puffins again may think about Skomer

If you can get a bit further up to Seahouses and go over to The Farne Islands for the day you will be over the moon, Puffins, Razorbills, Guillemots, Shags etc ... brilliant day, going again in June :)

If you can get a bit further up to Seahouses and go over to The Farne Islands for the day you will be over the moon, Puffins, Razorbills, Guillemots, Shags etc ... brilliant day, going again in June :)

will look into that mate, cheers

It's about 4 yrs since I was there & think it was mid June. Loved the place. (it was lovely Summer weather too)
Plenty of gannets & they get quite close as they soar up the cliffs.
Quite a lot of razorbills nesting on the cliffs too.

Saw 1 puffin on the cliff, but the rest were either way out @ sea, or a few on the sea near the bottom of the cliffs 300' down.

I saw a few tree sparrows, wheatear & an assortment of finches etc. There was a cetti's warbler hidden in the rough undergrowth (according to the dozen twitchers that were staking out the area) but I didn't see it unfortunately.

We actually stayed nearby in Flamborough, which in itself is a good area for photography. Saw a couple of seals there.

will look into that mate, cheers
I went to the Farnes a couple of years ago and what an amazing place to watch sea birds!
The Puffins use old Rabbit burrows and are literally walking around just a few feet away. With that and all the other great species at arms length, I would recommend a visit there in June, you definitely won't be disappointed.
Take a good tough hat with you though as the Terns a pretty feisty and take great pleasure in dive bombing you at every opportunity!!!

I went to the Farnes a couple of years ago and what an amazing place to watch sea birds!
The Puffins use old Rabbit burrows and are literally walking around just a few feet away. With that and all the other great species at arms length, I would recommend a visit there in June, you definitely won't be disappointed.
Take a good tough hat with you though as the Terns a pretty feisty and take great pleasure in dive bombing you at every opportunity!!!

thank you Chris, remembering seeing the Terns on countryfile

It's about 4 yrs since I was there & think it was mid June. Loved the place. (it was lovely Summer weather too)
Plenty of gannets & they get quite close as they soar up the cliffs.
Quite a lot of razorbills nesting on the cliffs too.

Saw 1 puffin on the cliff, but the rest were either way out @ sea, or a few on the sea near the bottom of the cliffs 300' down.

I saw a few tree sparrows, wheatear & an assortment of finches etc. There was a cetti's warbler hidden in the rough undergrowth (according to the dozen twitchers that were staking out the area) but I didn't see it unfortunately.

We actually stayed nearby in Flamborough, which in itself is a good area for photography. Saw a couple of seals there.

thank you Carl

thank you Chris, remembering seeing the Terns on countryfile
A pleasure - the Terns really are angry though, I've kept the hat I wore which has the scars on it back my story up, relentless and at times pretty savage blows.
Don't let that put you off though as they tend to stay around their breeding grounds which is not where the majority of the other birds are...thankfully!

A pleasure - the Terns really are angry though, I've kept the hat I wore which has the scars on it back my story up, relentless and at times pretty savage blows.
Don't let that put you off though as they tend to stay around their breeding grounds which is not where the majority of the other birds are...thankfully!

Felt them attacking my hat so I put my hand up and one of them drew blood! :D

Felt them attacking my hat so I put my hand up and one of them drew blood! :D
When I was there one poor guy, hatless by the way, had a really nasty peck on the head and was in a lot of pain from quite a nasty cut! Still a great place to go though, I'll be visiting again in the not too distant future.
Bempton is a great reserve as well mind you, just not quite as up close and personal as the Farnes but still a great experience, particularly the Gannets.

I would recommend a visit there in June, you definitely won't be disappointed.

I'm glad you said that, I've just booked a week up in the Cairngorms in June with my Dad and my dog. We were thinking about doing the Farne Islands on the way back down, seeing as we're from Kent.

Because we'll have the dog with us, can you take them over with you? On a lead of course?

Would like to know if it's possible.

Thanks.

I'm glad you said that, I've just booked a week up in the Cairngorms in June with my Dad and my dog. We were thinking about doing the Farne Islands on the way back down, seeing as we're from Kent.

Because we'll have the dog with us, can you take them over with you? On a lead of course?

Would like to know if it's possible.

Thanks.
If you go to Staple Island which is where the bird sanctuary is, then no, dogs are not allowed. I'm not 100% sure if this applies to all of the islands though so probably better to check with the boat trip people who get you there. They are in Seahouses and should be contactable I would think.

If you go to Staple Island which is where the bird sanctuary is, then no, dogs are not allowed. I'm not 100% sure if this applies to all of the islands though so probably better to check with the boat trip people who get you there. They are in Seahouses and should be contactable I would think.

I certainly will. Thank you very much for the information. :)

I very much doubt dogs will be permitted on The Farnes :)

I'm thinking of a trip to Bempton soon too. We are currently planning April but are not sure if it's the right time for courting behaviour. I've been to Bempton before in July a few years ago, I saw one Puffin at Bempton amongst all of the Gannets. Strangely during last years trip to Skomer I saw one Gannet! The Gannett dived about 50m from the boat as we sailed to skomer. Bempton and skomer are very different but both are worth visiting.

We are currently planning April but are not sure if it's the right time for courting behaviour.

I think this might be a bit early ... following was taken on 12th July and you can see that courting behaviour is still taking place and there are some large chicks, I think late May/June would be the best time.

Gladys was proud of her new necklace
by Roger, on Flickr

I'm thinking of a trip to Bempton soon too. We are currently planning April but are not sure if it's the right time for courting behaviour. I've been to Bempton before in July a few years ago, I saw one Puffin at Bempton amongst all of the Gannets. Strangely during last years trip to Skomer I saw one Gannet! The Gannett dived about 50m from the boat as we sailed to skomer. Bempton and skomer are very different but both are worth visiting.
If you can choose when to go, I would leave it until early May at the earliest but as gramps has said, the end of May to early June is the best time to go.

Been a few times between end of April and early May over last couple of years, never had a problem seeing or photographing the puffins. Always seemed to be plenty about.

Definitely one of my favourite places to go... Early morning before its gets busy though!!

Reactions: RKC
Just for reference, if you ever want to see puffins at a dog friendly place, go to Lunga in the Treshnish Isles. Loads of puffins (very like Skomer in number) and completely dog friendly (on the lead, of course).

Ok then decided to go to the Farne Islands mid June and then probably Bempton on way back

As far as I can make out there are 2 islands
Inner Farne 1330-1730
Staple 1030-1330
Do I need to go to both or is there one which is the one to go to?

Ok then decided to go to the Farne Islands mid June and then probably Bempton on way back

As far as I can make out there are 2 islands
Inner Farne 1330-1730
Staple 1030-1330

Rob the trips that land for photography go to both islands, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon ... you have to land and leave with your boat, moving on when it does. When in June are you going?

Rob the trips that land for photography go to both islands, one in the morning and the other in the afternoon ... you have to land and leave with your boat, moving on when it does. When in June are you going?

Ah right thank you so you get on the boat in the morning and stay with it for the day that I did not understand.
Dates not decided yet or for how long

Ah right thank you so you get on the boat in the morning and stay with it for the day that I did not understand.
Dates not decided yet or for how long
Yes Rob they take you around the islands for about an hour then you land on Staple Island for a few hours, the skipper will tell you what time to be back at the boat ... then off to Inner Farne and the same procedure; a very enjoyable day. I'm there from 18th :)

Yes Rob they take you around the islands for about an hour then you land on Staple Island for a few hours, the skipper will tell you what time to be back at the boat ... then off to Inner Farne and the same procedure; a very enjoyable day. I'm there from 18th :)
Just remember to take your tin hats guys!,,

cheers mate, how long you there for

cheers mate, how long you there for

Up for a couple of weeks ... I've been given permission to go over to the Farnes several times :D

Inner Farne, the one visited in the afternoon, it the one with the tern colony, although other nesting birds are also present.
Staple Island, the morning island, has no terns but does have all the other seabirds in higher numbers and in more photographic positions.

Inner Farne, the one visited in the afternoon, it the one with the tern colony, although other nesting birds are also present.
Staple Island, the morning island, has no terns but does have all the other seabirds in higher numbers and in more photographic positions.

thank you Paul

Sorry to crash this old thread but anyone know if I can go there later in evenings and if light is ok or just no light as facing wrong way on East coast ? I am working in Sheffield 3 out of 4 weeks a month at moment and would be good to go one evening after work so would get there around 6:30-7pm I guess ? would it be a wasted trip ?

Adam, I'm not sure the reserve actually closes (apart from visitors centre/shop etc)
As sunset isn't until 8.30 pm+ just now, you should get some good light, especially if the gannets are up & soaring at cliff top level, you should be good for a couple of hours at least & longer as the nights get longer. (weather permitting of course :rolleyes: )

Depends if you think 80+ miles & 1.5hrs is worth it I suppose.
What about 1 night or a w/end stopping over at Flamborough?

Last edited:
Back