Beginner Bessa 3A apparently not rewinding... help

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just shot a roll for the POTY, ending tomorrow. I finished off the previous roll just before, and remembered to leave the leader out for the Rondinax. I was careful threading the film and wound until it was right round the take-up spool before closing, so I'm confident the film is on correctly. Stopped at 36, went to rewind, and the knob just spins aimlessly. I have pushed the rewind button under the camera in.

Help! What to do?

The only option I can think of is, wait until dark, dive under the bedclothes, open the camera and be prepared to rewind back into the spool by hand. I don't have a changing bag...

Any ideas? Any other buttons to press?

If it's like other cameras, if you wind on just a little bit, that should make the rewind button pop out again and reengage the wind on clutch. What happens then if you turn the rewind handle? If it still spins then the screw holding the rewind knob to the spindle must have come loose. Maybe you could reattach it somehow?

If it's like other cameras, if you wind on just a little bit, that should make the rewind button pop out again and reengage the wind on clutch. What happens then if you turn the rewind handle? If it still spins then the screw holding the rewind knob to the spindle must have come loose. Maybe you could reattach it somehow?

I did try winding on and taking more shots as you suggest, re-pressed the rewind button, same as before. The rewind handle just turns easily.

There is a little screw (with a red dot on it) in the centre of the rewind lever. When folded this is flush with the rewind lever, looks as it should. Someone at the film meet (@simon ess? @Andysnap ?) did tell me something about the rewind lever and/or that screw, but I can't remember what...

The worst case scenario is that I didn't manage to connect the film properly, took no shots and rewound the leader back into the canister immediately on rewinding... :(

No, the worst case is a broken camera... :( :( :(

If the film is in the cassette, if you rewind with the camera next to your ear, you will hear the end of the film flapping about. I'm no Bessa expert but I'll bet the rewind knob has become unscrewed from the shaft somehow and it will be an easy repair to reconnect it. The worst case outcome is that you poke your finger through the shutter curtains under the bedclothes. If it were me, I'd open it in daylight and waste the film rather than risk damaging the curtains.

It was probably Andy.

@Andysnap is in the pub...

There's only one way to find out, get under that duvet :0)

Later, when it's dark :)

If the film is in the cassette, if you rewind with the camera next to your ear, you will hear the end of the film flapping about. I'm no Bessa expert but I'll bet the rewind knob has become unscrewed from the shaft somehow and it will be an easy repair to reconnect it. The worst case outcome is that you poke your finger through the shutter curtains under the bedclothes. If it were me, I'd open it in daylight and waste the film rather than risk damaging the curtains.

Can't hear no flapping, more a general swooshing. You've worried me about the shutter curtains, but I think I can get the spool out of the camera before poking about too much. It might have my POTY shot on it, so don't want to waste it if possible. Actually, I can't quite imagine wasting a film! :runaway:

Sorry, been out all day with no interest.

Also, sorry not sure I can help anymore than has already been said. I think its probably a duvet job, but my initial thought is its not a problem with the camera but possibly an operator error. :)

Andy

Thanks Andy. At least operator error is not worst worst case!

So, retired to the cupboard under the stairs, opened the back, got the cassette out, film completely wound in. So.

a) The rewind is not broken.
b) Perhaps post #5 "I didn't manage to connect the film properly, took no shots and rewound the leader back into the canister immediately on rewinding" was the case, if so should I find a way to fish the leader out and re-use it? Or
c) Perhaps I absent-mindedly rewound the film completely into the cassette, forgot I'd done so, and then started this whole rigmarole. This seems unlikely to me, but then I am getting on a bit.... If this was the case I should either find a way to fish the leader out and dev it myself, or send it off to Peak. £6.70 for what could be a totally blank film! And all those artistic shots from this afternoon gone for ever. :thinking::runaway::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I'd just pop the end off the cassette in the cupboard under the stairs (or wherever), extract the film and develop it myself. The only thing you're risking is the price of the film, it it turns out to be blank, and you might find all the shots you remember waiting for you :)

I would plump for it being (b).

It happened to me many years ago and only became apparent when I thought I had managed to capture 37 then 38 shots on a 36 exposure film. Regrettably the manufacturer had not been generous with the roll of film, but the film had not entirely engaged when loaded, even though I thought it had.

Oh and buy yourself a light tight changing bag. A lot less hassle than under the stairs or bed sheets.

I'd just pop the end off the cassette in the cupboard under the stairs (or wherever), extract the film and develop it myself. The only thing you're risking is the price of the film, it it turns out to be blank, and you might find all the shots you remember waiting for you :)

I don't have a proper tank, just a Rondinax one, and I think it would be difficult to load that under the circumstances. But I'll have another go at getting the leader out.

I would plump for it being (b).

It happened to me many years ago and only became apparent when I thought I had managed to capture 37 then 38 shots on a 36 exposure film. Regrettably the manufacturer had not been generous with the roll of film, but the film had not entirely engaged when loaded, even though I thought it had.

Oh and buy yourself a light tight changing bag. A lot less hassle than under the stairs or bed sheets.

I think you're probably right. And I'm definitely thinking about a changing tent.

I don't have a proper tank, just a Rondinax one, and I think it would be difficult to load that under the circumstances. But I'll have another go at getting the leader out.

I think you're probably right. And I'm definitely thinking about a changing tent.

Psst, want to buy a changing bag? I was going to hang on to it but I've hardly used it since I got my tent. I'll put an ad up in classifieds if you're interested.

How much bigger is a tent compared with the bag, particularly in the storage position?

Not much bigger really, the tent folds flat but not latterly . where as the bag can be folded like a T-shirt.

Just thinking I should maybe take you up on this, Steven. How much were you thinking of?

Having worked in a darkroom many years ago, I would say that a bag is preferable to sitting in a tent.

Back