Best Airshow

Mdh

Name
Mdh
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys ...

I'm planning to visit the UK 2023, can you recommend the best Airshow to attend for photography .

Thanks

I'm sure the aircraft experts will jump in but Swansea bay airshow isn't bad, it's free from the beach, but the aircraft can be a long way off. It's certainly not the best but it is free.

Reactions: Mdh
Plenty of airshows. If you come in July there is RIAT at RAF Fairford, the biggest. Plenty of 'smaller' airshows around the UK coast, however, the events of 2015 has meant that the number of exhibits and number of shows has been curtailed.

And I was at Shoreham in 2015.....took me 3-4 years to pluck up the courage to go back to an airshow (so I can vouch for RIAT).

I would say a lot of the seaside ones follow a similar format. Red Arrows, Typhoon, BBMF and some gliders and parachuters and helicopters. Since 2015 they've had to perform over the sea a long way from photographers, and it's a big bugger if you're on Rhyl Beach during with your spade and bucket and cleared off before the display starts.... not much fun for a lot of folk.

Duxford is great and it has a fabulous museum. Shuttleworth too. RIAT is the biggie with the modern stuff and international...Cosford is another major one. Others I cannot comment on as I haven't been to them. However, unfortunately, since the Shoreham incident and the retirement of the Vulcan things haven't been quite as exciting. I see on the list Goodwood Revival is mentioned - that is only a few flights by a Spitfire doing morning and evening patrols, it's been a few years since there has been a proper display at the Revival (which is good in a lot of ways).

Dates important....no point pinpointing a display if your travel plans don't match.

Well if you choose RIAT just be aware it is huge and travel in and out takes a while.

As others have said RIAT Fairford is the top tier event in the UK and about the only one with a wide variety of fast jets. The RAF Cosford show is good as are the events at IWM Duxford. Sadly no event at RNAS Yeovilton next year.

Before the "peace dividend" at the end of the Cold War it was possible to go to a show at a military base every weekend from May to September.

went to Blackpool show back in the summer (remember that?) usual euro fighter, wing walkers , spitfire etc red arrows to finish , never seen as many people ,
it was ok won't bother next year

If the weather is sunny at Duxford you’re facing into the sun. Plus IWM have driven away Flying Legends. Last air show I attended there was actually the Daks Over Normandy event to mark the 75th anniversary of D. Day though. Some people will tell you to go to the fields across from the airfield at Duxford as you’ve got the sun behind you, my advice is don’t even think about it! The police have become very active and given a couple of major emergencies IWM have even talked about curtailing shows if there are crowds in the area..

What time of the year are you visiting and do you intend to travel around the country? As everyone has said RIAT is the big one, plus if you in the area the Shuttleworth collection have some wonderful air shows, mainly old warbirds and aircraft from the early 1900's on, but hardly any jets if any these days. Duxford is another good location, but as said above the light can be a bit tricky, but you also have a really good museum to look around as well. I've not been to Cosford but from what I've heard it a really good air show.

We went to Rhyl and enjoyed it this year, we wanted to see the Red Arrows mainly, but we had a fun day.

It was my first airshow since the 1992 crash at Woodford when I was 11, so the big safety margins were welcomed.

RIAT takes a bit of planning but it's worth the effort... Be prepared for an early start and late finish. The last one I went to, I was at the front of the queue to get onto the airfield and then had a mad dash to get a spot right on the flight line - it was worth it though. Some of my favourite aviation photos have been taken there (like the one below).
RIAT14_098.jpg

Cosford is good but an absolute nightmare to get in and out of... The sun was in my face for most of that day too so I haven't been back since. Rhyl was good for a freebie but I hear it's gone downhill a bit in the past few years.

Back