Best backpack for travel

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello I'm looking for a backpack that is small enough to sit under an airplane seat but one that also has hiking features like waist and chest straps and a nice split between space for the camera gear and space for clothes, food etc.

Does one like this exist?

FStop gear is usually my go-to for this type of bag, I have the Guru, their smallest bag, which would fit the bill. Sadly my Fuji kit just rattles around in it and there aren't too many good outdoor bags based around a smaller mirrorless kit.

If you are also using a smaller kit, the Evoc Stage Capture is brilliant but hard to get hold of in the UK now.

FStop gear is usually my go-to for this type of bag, I have the Guru, their smallest bag, which would fit the bill. Sadly my Fuji kit just rattles around in it and there aren't too many good outdoor bags based around a smaller mirrorless kit.

If you are also using a smaller kit, the Evoc Stage Capture is brilliant but hard to get hold of in the UK now.
Thanks for this

I haven’t tried these backpacks myself but they seem to get some great reviews and look really well built. Just a shame about the price.

Thanks, I was seriously looking at this one so I messaged shimoda and he said that it can fit on some airlines, but it can be a tight fit. It didn't sound 100% sure so I'm now not sure if I want to spend that sort of money. I like the mindshift 18l but they are not sure either

The Tenba Solstice series look to be a possibility. I use regular hiking packs with Tenba BYOB inserts

I watch a few travel channels who does it full time and saw these pop up in a few of them. Comes in different sizes, can get camera inserts.

I think I am going to get a 30L one in the next few months for my trip to Croatia. Don't want to take normal luggage due to all those steps in the Dubrovnic.
Do you plan to try and put it under the seat?

I’ve been using a Lowepro Computrekker for years for flights
It’s within the size normal size limits and also fits under the seat on easyJet flights
I’ve never had any issues on all sorts of flights
I can fit in my 300 2.8 with body and a couple of smaller lenses as well as a laptop in the back sleeve

I got a Lowepro Flipside 400 onto BA no problem, with D850 x2 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s

You can get everything in that then just wheel it about.

I think I am going to get a 30L one in the next few months for my trip to Croatia. Don't want to take normal luggage due to all those steps in the Dubrovnic.
I have the original 31L and it’s fantastic, the roll down top section is like a tardis, the photography bundle straps are excellent for weight distribution, can’t see much advantage to getting the latest version as the original is so good, seen a few new unused ones around for under £200.

Peak design backpacks seem popular.
I personally like the 20L zip variant.
You can add a separate hip belt of you need it.

I have also considered mindshift 18L. It's really nice and super comfy but it's mostly made with only camera gear in mind. Didn't quite like it for camera gear + other personal items.

I travelled a lot with a f-stop kenti. They no longer make them :(
If you don't have the need for the bag to fit a large lens (i.e. lens bigger than 70-200mm f2.8) then this is by far the best bag I have found for this kind of use case. Really regret selling mine but needed something that fits my 200-600mm for using locally.
If you can find one used (they are rare) then I'd suggest getting it.

Last edited:
I’ll throw a curveball in the mix.

Wandrd Prvke

Come in different sizes. Modular. Expandable roll top. Side access for cameras and comes with a camera cube that can be removed so it’s usable as an everyday bag. its my ‘personal’ item on easyJet flights and goes under the seat.

Has an expandable bottle pocket which doubles as a tripod sleeve.

I managed to fit my DJI drone, Canon F1 plus 2 lenses. Change of clothes. MacBook and all the needed power banks & cables etc plus other bits n bobs. Tripod. And more in it for a flight to Bali.

Last edited:
You might also want to take a look at the Vanguard Veo Active range. They come in different sizes and also have an expandable top section.

Wandrd Prvke - was mentioned above.
Looks very similar to the f-stop kenti I had but not as user friendly (IMO only of course)
Doh!

Well on any case I hope my hands on experience is useful.

It does look similar - only one is more stylish.

Overhead locker is where you put that. Your feet need to go somewhere, that's why there's room under the seat in front
Not strictly true unfortunately.

If this bag is to be used as a personal item for certain airlines it must go underneath the seat.

Example- I flew easyJet the other week and my carry on (hard case samsonite) went in the overheard but my backpack had to go under the seat.

This is more common on short haul as narrow body aircraft - B737s and A320s - have far less overhead storage than Widebodied long haul aircraft like B777, A330s etc.

few points to note...

its a 16L backpack that weights just about 1.9KG
In comparison:
PD Zip 20L - 1.55KG for 20L (hip belt would add 0.13KG)
F-stop Kenti - 1.54KG for 25L (hip belt, padding and all!)
Mindshift - 1.6Kg for 18L
Wandrd Prvke - 1.3KG for 21L (of course your camera cube add another 0.36KG)

basically my point is its heavy for less space. I know we are taking 300g-ish but still that's like 20% heavier for 20-25% less space. So its a fair bit heavier than it needs to be imo.
(Also kinda shows you why the kenti was so awesome, gives you up to 25L capacity at such a low weight and still really comfortable to use on a hike and all day)

personally don't like having the laptop compartment on the inside of the back compartment. Pretty much every airport in the world makes you take out the laptop for security.
Plus I like it to be easily accessible to take out and put it back in for using it.

by the way how much or what gear are you looking to fit inside this bag.

Last edited:
few points to note...

In comparison:

basically my point is its heavy for less space. I know we are taking 300g-ish but still that's like 20% heavier for 20-25% less space. So its a fair bit heavier than it needs to be imo.
(Also kinda shows you why the kenti was so awesome, gives you up to 25L capacity at such a low weight and still really comfortable to use on a hike and all day)

personally don't like having the laptop compartment on the inside of the back compartment. Pretty much every airport in the world makes you take out the laptop for security.
Plus I like it to be easily accessible to take out and put it back in for using it.

I'd say I'm looking to fit a Sony A7Riii, 24-105, tamron 50-400 (if possible) and a DJI mini 3 pro, tripod on the outside, a few clothes, a book, etc

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it :)

few points to note...

In comparison:

You have to remove the backpack to put it through the scanner anyway and it takes all of 5 secs to undo 1 zip and remove the laptop, you'd have to undo a compartment of some kind on any bag to remove a laptop. Unless you've owned and used both bags it's impossible to give a balanced view on their merits and pitfalls.

another vote for the flipside.

Like most, I've been through many over the years.

Lowe Pro Nature Trekker AW (2005 which I still use when I need to carry shed loads of kit)

Computrekker AWII as suggested above but I found the bottom unzipping section fidly and my bigger lenses such as a 300 F4 and 70-200 F4 were too big to fit upright in the bottom camera compartment - I felt the camera compartment was too fiddly to access and too cramped. However great for fitting a 17" laptop and a decent space for food, and personal items - but the shape of that area wasn't ideal either for getting an ipad in for example.

Flipside is just a step better - I think they have a new squarer version these days but I have the older style which looks more like a conventional backpack. can fit my 15" laptop in, had the whole length of the backpack for lenses and a decent amount of space for personal items. Also had the benefit of the camera access section being at the back so no one can get in if its on your back.

Last edited:
I'd say I'm looking to fit a Sony A7Riii, 24-105, tamron 50-400 (if possible) and a DJI mini 3 pro, tripod on the outside, a few clothes, a book, etc
that isn't a lot tbh. the only awkward piece of gear would be the newer RC controller with builtin screen if you have that for the mini 3 pro. I have the same drone and fitting the controller nicely is always an issue.

but you should be able to fit all your gear in any of the bags suggested above.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it :)
no worries, I have spent far too long looking for the perfect bag and still haven't found one :facepalm:

Not strictly true unfortunately.

If this bag is to be used as a personal item for certain airlines it must go underneath the seat.

Example- I flew easyJet the other week and my carry on (hard case samsonite) went in the overheard but my backpack had to go under the seat.

This is more common on short haul as narrow body aircraft - B737s and A320s - have far less overhead storage than Widebodied long haul aircraft like B777, A330s etc.

Yes, true. BA wanted my laptop bag under the seat and the rucksack with all my gear in the above locker. They call it cabin bag or something.

I suppose it depends on how much kit you take with you, but I use a scruffy old shoulder bag that doesn't look like a 'camera bag', or an old generic backpack with my little camera shoulder bag inside. When travelling, I don't want to advertise I have expensive kit with me, so scruffy and unobtrusive is my preference.

Just bought a mindshift rotation off e bay as new expensive but already have a firstlight bag and have been pleased with the quality what ever you chose check out the usual retailers MPB etc for used I have bought over the years many "as new bags" and saved a wad of cash

Yes, true. BA wanted my laptop bag under the seat and the rucksack with all my gear in the above locker. They call it cabin bag or something.
Should buy the Prvke then... Laptop fits in the bag without issue and your camera gear. Leaves you free to bring another additional personal item for under the seat or enjoy more legroom

It's advisable to check the policy for the airline you are flying with.

When I flew EasyJet to Spain as part of a package deal last year, putting a item in the overhead locker was a chargeable extra.

A small cabin bag for carry-on otherwise had to be placed under your seat and maxed out at 45 x 36 x 20 cm.

On the return trip, Veuling were stricter and limited an under seat bag to 40 x 30 x 20cm (I had to buy a new camera bag to meet Vueling's requirement). Again you had to pay extra to put luggage overhead and there were a limited number of places available, which caused a problem for one passenger ahead of me in the queue when their bag was too big for under seat storage and there was no paid-for space left to put it overhead.

Last edited:
It's advisable to check the policy for the airline you are flying with.

When I flew EasyJet to Spain as part of a package deal last year, putting a item in the overhead locker was a chargeable extra.

A small cabin bag for carry-on otherwise had to be placed under your seat and maxed out at 45 x 36 x 20 cm.

On the return trip, Veuling were stricter and limited an under seat bag to 40 x 30 x 20cm (I had to buy a new camera bag to meet Vueling's requirement). Again you had to pay extra to put luggage overhead and there were a limited number of places available, which caused a problem for one passenger ahead of me in the queue when their bag was too big for under seat storage and there was no paid-for space left to put it overhead.
This is why I'm looking for a bag small enough to put under the seat but also comfortable enough for a day hike, then my main carry on suitcase goes above in the overhead storage

This is why I'm looking for a bag small enough to put under the seat but also comfortable enough for a day hike, then my main carry on suitcase goes above in the overhead storage
Have a look at the Tenba DNA 13 Messenger, not a backpack but a brilliant design, very comfortable on long treks if you use the additional supplied strap. Takes a MacBook Pro 14 with hard case fitted plus an iPad, Sony body with 28-75, 12-24 and 70-200 plus accessories, looks can be deceiving.

I sound like I have shares in the company here... I find the Prvke very comfortable. The back padding is thick and does not give me a sweaty back which is a bonus in hotter climates. Comes with optional side straps and a chest strap for more serious hikes. Id say my favourite feature is that it doesn't look like a camera bag either so your gear is pretty discrete.

That said the price is pretty steep compared to some others but i've been impressed with the quality, the beating its taken and the amount of gear I can pack away.

Have a look at the Tenba DNA 13 Messenger, not a backpack but a brilliant design, very comfortable on long treks if you use the additional supplied strap. Takes a MacBook Pro 14 with hard case fitted plus an iPad, Sony body with 28-75, 12-24 and 70-200 plus accessories, looks can be deceiving.

As it happens, a DNA 13 is exactly the bag I ended up with for a very similar use case :)

I suppose it depends on how much kit you take with you, but I use a scruffy old shoulder bag that doesn't look like a 'camera bag', or an old generic backpack with my little camera shoulder bag inside. When travelling, I don't want to advertise I have expensive kit with me, so scruffy and unobtrusive is my preference.

Without wanting to sound like a walking ad for Tenba they have a fairly neat-o solution called Bring Your Own Bag, which is a a range of padded inserts with compartments and pockets to provide storage designed for camera use that you can put inside any old bag you like, and they are pretty inexpensive compared to a complete bag

Last edited:

If this is your intention then do not get a large bag. A large bag ends up getting filled to the brim and you do not really want to carry more than you need to all day out. Especially if you have another option of storage of other things with your carryon luggage/suitcase.

Back