Best bargains in Nikon AF lenses?

Edit My Images
No
Looking for an autofocus standard zoom and something like a 70-210 a/f zoom. I'm looking for optical excellence, and don't care about a/f speed, ergonomics, or even fast apertures, as the camera will be perched on a tripod. The camera can handle earlier "screw driver" focus lenses.

So which older lenses offer the best glass for the money?

Any suggestions gratefully received - thanks for reading!

The Nikon 70-300mm VR takes some beating for bang for buck. Great quality glass!

For the standard/kit lens, the 18-70 is hard to beat in terms of bang for buck. Not ideal if the body's an Fx rather than Dx though! TBH, I found the older AF Fx lenses a bit underwhelming at the cheaper end of the scale.

For the standard/kit lens, the 18-70 is hard to beat in terms of bang for buck. Not ideal if the body's an Fx rather than Dx though! TBH, I found the older AF Fx lenses a bit underwhelming at the cheaper end of the scale.
For FX, the nearest equivalent is the 28-105. It's a screwdriver lens, but (unlike the otherwise excellent 18-70 AFS DX) it's pretty distortion-free throughout the zoom range and adds a very useful semi-macro mode. You will see an improvement if you step up to one of the f/2.8 zooms, though. If you want optical excellence on the (relative) cheap you may be better off with the f/1.8 primes. At the long end, I rather like the old (80s) 70-210 f/4 constant aperture zoom: http://www.dantestella.com/technical/70210.html

Yes that one.

Recent sample...

i-7Cv28zZ.jpg

I'd certainly agree with Peter's recommendation that you avoid the old, variable aperture 24-120. Might be cheap but it's still not a bargain! The f/4 version is pretty good but isn't cheap.

With my D750 I have the following:

Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Nikon 28-105
Nikon 70-210 F4

Both the Nikons are nice and sharp,the Tamron is not as sharp as the Tamron 17-50 that I have with my D90.

Nikon 35-70 F2.8D and the 70-210 F4-5.6D are both excellent lenses and very affordable

Back