Best batteries for Flash Gun/LED Flash

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking to buy these for my flash gun and my LED Macro ring, but I'm not sure if it would be more beneficial to get some 2300NiMH instead. I'm looking for some decent batteries with a charger and will be getting an additional 4 batteries with it.

The flashgun I have at the moment is a cheap speelite one, but I will be upgrading to an Canon Speedlite 480/520 eventually.

What would you recommend?

'Proper' eneloop are worth it. 7 day shop and others do lose charge while not being used, in my experience. I also use an intelligent charger to prolong battery life (apparently). It cost £80 so I do NOT want anyone telling me it wasn't worth it!

But seriously Eneloop are the best for flash guns.

Eneloop........................

For what it's worth a few months ago I found a receiver pack (4 cell pack for RC aircraft) that I had for gotten about. I made up the pack myself from 4 x 1900 Mah Eneloop cells about 5/6 years ago. It had been lying idle sor several years so I thought it would be interesting to check it's remaining capacity. So, without re-charging it, I put it on a slow deep discharge down to 0.9 volt per cell (do not go lower than 0.9 volt!). Well it still had 2135 Mah left in it! So that's 235 Mah over spec AFTER sitting idle for 2/3 years!

I like Eneloops!

i got some duracell 2500mah which do seem to work well
i cant comment on the eneloop's as have not so far found the need to get anything else

Another vote for PROPER Eneloops, (Used to be Sanyo, belive they were bought out by Panasonnic).

I have two dud 7 day shop 'Eneloops' sitting on my desk that failed within two weeks of each other. No warning given just went flat suddenly. One of them did it on a job (in a speedlight) and threw me for 10 mins till I sussed it out.
Both are dated 31/10/2013
I have proper Eneloops that I've had since 2011 that are still going strong!

Here’s the relevant part of my Amazon review:

A few days ago I trialled the Panasonic 2500mAh Eneloop Pros (Japanese made) in my Canon Speedlite 430 EXIII. I was shooting indoors in a black-painted night club. Because I was using a Fong diffuser I pushed the Speedlite to maximum 3 stops over TTL.

After four hours of use and over 300 shots the Eneloops were still recharging the flash in under a second. I continued using the flash all the next day. And the next. The batteries showed no sign of slowing down. In the end I used a Youshiko YC4000 Intelligent Battery Charger to discharge and recharge them.

So to say I’m gobsmacked underplays it. Whether the Eneloops can maintain this sort of power I don’t know (but will update this review accordingly).

I have a number of the 7 day shop 'Good To Go' batteries - they are a good 'budget' option, but I have had a few failures over the years, and they do slowly discharge.

Now switching to Eneloop Pro's as I need additional or replacement batteries - so far all apears good, and he Pro's look like they are worth the extra.

Just bought a packet of Enloop Pro's via PrimeNow for a wedding shoot today.
Ordered the charger and another set for tomorrow.
Hope they are worth it :D

I also use the Eneloop Pro's (x 16) & 7dayshop Good to go's (x 20). Had no failures in 2 years but I don't mix & match, however I've found I just get a better 'response' from the Pro but it comes down to what you want.
The pros cost lots more, last longer, stay charged for longer & at a higher level.

As a part timer, I'm finding that its better for me to have the pro's than the 7dayshop versions & if I'm going on a shoot later it will be the Pro version's I pick up first. They really are that good.

I went with the fujitsu version of the eneloops as they are made in japan in the original sanyo plant. The panasonic version whilst no doubt every bit as good, are made in china.

Thus far, they have been on par with my original sanyo eneloops.

Reviving an old thread - but no point in making a new one.
So do we have any recent recommendations for rechargeable batteries for flashguns?

I Bought some EBL 2800 mah batteries of Amazon. So far I am not impressed.

I use a Nitcore D4 charger for all my batteries. When they arrived the charger was showing 2 bars, so charged them up. Took them out to charge the next set. By the time I put set 1 back in, they wanted to charge again from 3 bars. - I assume this isn't normal?

I also just installed them in the Yongnuo 560iii to test and got around 100 shots from it (Almost continuous with slight charging delays in between) - I've not run them down fully. I did find the batteries got very very hot!
I've dropped them into the charger again and now they are on 1 bar.

On a side note, I have a Yongnuo Speedlight 560-iii, which apparently takes a battery pack - should i just use that instead?

Last edited:
Nitecore chargers are very good - some of the best around.

Eleloop Pros are the only batteries I will use now - I've tried many others, but nothing else comes close IME.

Back