Best book for learning flash.

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I am being badgered for ideas of what I want for my birthday and Xmas this year and cannot think of anything that I really need. I would, however, like a decent book that introduces how to use speedlights effectively. I mostly shoot at home indoors but every now and then I second-shoot at weddings and events and would like some extra help with something that covers the basics up to the more advanced stuff.

Any recommendations????

Thanks in advance :)

Would this be just as useful for Nikon users? Seems to be Canon specific.

It depends whether you want a technical manual, a recipe book or inspiration.

Online the Strobist 101, 102 and coming soon 103 will cover a lot of what you need - http://strobist.blogspot.co.uk/2006/03/lighting-101.html
David Hobby also has a couple of lighting book review posts on the Strobist blog (link as above)

For inspiration there are a number of books by Joe McNally, Joey L, Zack Arias, etc.

I like Dustin Diaz's book This is Strobist Info for the way it's laid out with detailed behind the scenes shots for each photo (or you can just check out his Flickr 365 that spawned the book).

Would this be just as useful for Nikon users? Seems to be Canon specific.
Yes, about 95% of the book is about light and specifically using speedlights.

The other 5% is brand specific regarding Canon speedlights and triggers, but if you get the principals even that's transferable to Nikon*.

*except Nikon don't have a proper radio wireless system.

Also The Hotshoe diaries, for some Nikon specific tips, and further practical advice for stunning images (but read the other one first).

Last edited:
Yes, about 95% of the book is about light and specifically using speedlights.

The other 5% is brand specific regarding Canon speedlights and triggers, but if you get the principals even that's transferable to Nikon*.

*except Nikon don't have a proper radio wireless system.

Also The Hotshoe diaries, for some Nikon specific tips, and further practical advice for stunning images (but read the other one first).

V good book. For Nikon, just change the model numbers and it works just the same.

Nikon now has a radio remote system (SB-5000 gun).

Thanks guys. I'm going to look at the Speedliters handbook. I have McNally's Hot Shoe Diaries but want something that holds my hand a little more and maybe without the annoying commentary all the time [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

I found the speedliters handbook useful from a Nikon point of view, if I remember correctly he even points out the differences between the 2 systems as he goes along. I just read it with my camera and flash nearby and translated the canon speak to the Nikon speak as I went :)

And the other thing is practice.
When doing my degree course we had whole exercises on lighting. Pick something, experiment with lighting it in different ways, of camera flash, move it around etc.
Good learning

I agree theres nothing like practise and in this age it costs nothing too. Well accept for the gear

As mentioned by @sk66 the light science and magic is a great book for all lighting, but is also very technical and not the easiest read. For more simple flash use Understanding Flash by Bryan Peterson is quite useful, and written in a very easy to understand manner. It's slightly Nikon biased as one of the ways he works out flash power or aperture is using the function on the SB900. I only have the SB700 though which doesn't have this function, but it's no biggie as it's only a small part and I wouldn't do it in this fashion anyway ;)

Have a search for Neil Van Neirkirk books, I have one for on camera flash and it's very good.
He explains it in a non technical way with real life examples from weddings he has shot, so it'll help with your second shooting.

I'd add another reccomendation for Neil Van Neirkirk, not read any of his books but his website has lots of excellent examples/walk throughs http://neilvn.com/tangents/

For off camera manual flash you can't got wrong with Strobist 101 too

Back