Best Budget Compact For Close Up/Macro Shots?

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a compact (or small bridge) camera for talking pics of coins and similar sized items for recording and posting on line. It probably doesn't count as true macro, but I need something that will enable me to reasonable fill the shot with say a 5p sized subject..

It will be used in doors on a small copy stand...I currently use a Lumix TZ25, but when I shoot very close up shots, although the subject is sharp, I get a degree of barrel distortion across the wider frame..

Please don't suggest a DSLR set up; I know that's the way to go if I were doing it seriously, but I am looking for a compact and convenient set up..

Also, I am not looking to spend serious money; ideally I am looking to something second hand, say three or four years old, but it must have better close up/macro performance than the TZ25 I have now..

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Last edited:
Perhaps take a look at the vairous Panasonic 1 inch sensor models. If after something SLR style, the FZ1000 should fit your budget. Or, if you want something smaller like the TZ25, take a look at the Lumix TZ100. I know @woof woof speaks highly of his. I did have the Leica version for a while a few years ago, but ended up not being what I was after!

Barrel distortion is going to be a problem, although it can be fairly easily corrected in PP. This is a shot SOOC from a relatively old Fuji X-30 on Super-Macro at its closest focussing distance. The key is about 1/2" square.

Attachments

• DSCF5622.JPG
    DSCF5622.JPG
    241.4 KB · Views: 2
I am looking for a compact (or small bridge) camera for talking pics of coins and similar sized items for recording and posting on line. It probably doesn't count as true macro, but I need something that will enable me to reasonable fill the shot with say a 5p sized subject..

It will be used in doors on a small copy stand...I currently use a Lumix TZ25, but when I shoot very close up shots, although the subject is sharp, I get a degree of barrel distortion across the wider frame..

Please don't suggest a DSLR set up; I know that's the way to go if I were doing it seriously, but I am looking for a compact and convenient set up..

Also, I am not looking to spend serious money; ideally I am looking to something second hand, say three or four years old, but it must have better close up/macro performance than the TZ25 I have now..

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Perhaps take a look at the vairous Panasonic 1 inch sensor models. If after something SLR style, the FZ1000 should fit your budget. Or, if you want something smaller like the TZ25, take a look at the Lumix TZ100. I know @woof woof speaks highly of his. I did have the Leica version for a while a few years ago, but ended up not being what I was after!

I do indeed have a TZ100 and it's best for close ups at 90mm but I've just googled used ones and they seem to start at about £250 and I think you can do better for less money. For example if I was doing this I'd look at the Panasonic G1 which is a mini SLR styled MFT camera, I had one for quite a while and liked it and they're available from £40-£50. To this I'd add a film era manual focus lens and a cheap dumb adapter. I have the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro which is a 1:1 macro whereas some macro lenses of that era only go to half life size without a tube. Anyway, one way to go could be an old MFT camera, film era macro lens and cheap adapter and you could buy the lot today for about £130, that's £43 for the camera, £69 for the lens (I spotted a Canon FD mount one) and £10 for the adapter (in this case FD to MFT to match the camera and lens.) This would give you a picture 4592 x 3448 and quite some scope for cropping if required.

You could go for a standard non macro 50mm f1.8 or f2 and use an extension tube and this may be cheaper than a macro lens but would be more of a faff on as you'd possibly be taking the tube off and on depending upon the size of the object and the distance you're shooting from. A non macro lens and a close focus adapter could also be a cheap way of doing it but for £69 I think the macro lens is better as getting the right framing with different sized subjects without cropping is much easier.

Thanks everybody for the replies...Somebody else suggested the Canon G15 as a possible contender for the task?

I used to trade in coins and artefacts , I would suggest you look at Ricoh,casio, fuji compacts with a 1 cm close up lens . The others mentioned so far are quiet large and will cast shadows on the coins .. p.s a sheet of glass to place the coins on if raised up I.e a machtbox at either end will eliminate shadows below the coin to

Thanks Jeff...have already got the glass sheet ready....will look at the compacts mentioned...

Thanks everybody for the replies...Somebody else suggested the Canon G15 as a possible contender for the task?

Just Googled that and used ones seem to start at £140+. If going this way maybe keep an eye on the price as IMO it can starts to get a bit questionable.

Back