Best budget flashgun?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to a buy a flashgun, love the idea of a Nikon one but not so keen on the prices of a new one. Having a look at cheaper alternatives. Wondering what people recommend?

Would be handy to know whether you need TTL or if you are happy with manual flash.
Otherwise my recommendations would be -

Yongnuo YN685 if you want TTL

Yongnuo YN560 IV if you want manual

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nissin one for my Oly and it is pretty good.

Would be handy to know whether you need TTL or if you are happy with manual flash.

To be honest I am just starting out in the world of flash photography so I think TTL would probably be a benefit to my to start with till I can get my head around manual flash control. Thank you for both of the suggestion I will look them up.

This if you just want a single flashgun; or if you think you might like to be looking at off camera flash, multiple speedlights or studio / portable flashes then jump straight into the Godox range - the V860ii with lithium ion battery or TT865 for the slightly cheaper version with AA batteries.

Rebadged versions of the Godox flashes are available from Lencata and others with U.K. warranty.

This if you just want a single flashgun; or if you think you might like to be looking at off camera flash, multiple speedlights or studio / portable flashes then jump straight into the Godox range - the V860ii with lithium ion battery or TT685 for the slightly cheaper version with AA batteries.

Rebadged versions of the Godox flashes are available from Lencata and others with U.K. warranty.
Agree
Minor typo fixed :)

From the above:
Yongnuo for a cheap system if you're never going beyond speedlights, YN685

Godox if you might want to go beyond speedlights later, it's the best flash ecosystem bar none, and the build quality is better than Yongnuo.

@ian-83

I have a Neewer NW985 (I think) that I'll be advertising tonight.

It's almost new but the white pull out bounce card has a couple of marks on it (doesn't affect performance).

I had to disassemble the flashgun as the card had gone into the head and couldn't be pulled out.

It'll be £25 posted if you're interested.

this - Yongnuo YN560 IV if you want manual and buy new, or pick up flash guns second hand.

I've got two very cheap Yongnuo flash guns that I picked up for £35 each, new from Amazon. I use them similar to studio lights, in that they have wireless triggers and about 6-7 power settings on the back, although I tend to only use lowest, middle and highest. Handy for things like blowing white backgrounds, or where I need additional light.
Being a canon user, I've then picked up 420, 430 and 580 flash guns secondhand, for full ttl use. There's always good secondhand kit around.

Last edited:
One of the things with Godox I come to like more and more is the barebulb AD200 and AD360 (Got theAD360 version one) because sometimes there are no substitute for Ws and sometimes that barebulb design is what you need to fill a big modifier like the 180cm westcott umbrella or something similar and the price of those are comparable to the higher end Nikon, Sony and Canon speedlights. With a small flash or two and one og the "big guns" theres not much you cant do.

Back