Beginner Best Buy for daughter

Name
Kev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All
I want to buy a dslr for my daughter, around the £500 mark. She is in her 2nd year at uni studying film and television. I’ve been looking at reviews etc on the web but am struggling. The camera will have to have good video capture and viewing screen. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I can’t tell you but “2nd year at uni studying film and television” means she probably knows what she wants/needs so you should ask her!

I can’t tell you but “2nd year at uni studying film and television” means she probably knows what she wants/needs so you should ask her!
I was hoping that the members of this forum might have a lot more experience and be helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Thanks for your advice.

I was hoping that the members of this forum might have a lot more experience and be helpful in pointing me in the right direction. Thanks for your advice.

An anology you might understand;

My daughters been learning to drive for 2 years, I want to buy her a car, which would you recommend?

There’s hundreds of good cameras (cars) but only a few of them will meet her specific needs/ taste, she has much more idea ofthat than we possibly could.

With respect Kev, it's a bit tricky offering buying advice with just a budget to go on.

That said, I've read a lot of good things about the video capabilities of the Panasonic Lumix GH series.

Specifically a used GH3 seems to fall into your budget, they are aimed more towards the serious video/vlog shooter, but are very capable with stills too.
It is a micro 4/3 system, shoots 1080p and has a tilt/flip screen....a must have for video....so I've heard

Here's a link to a decent used one at Harrison Cameras:

Used Panasonic GH3 - £325

Info page for the GH3 on Panasonic website

You'll need to factor in the lens cost too, which you should be able to do with what is left over....a decent standard kit lens would be a good place to start, but talking to your daughter about what she'll be shooting is probably advisable.

Here is an example of a standard zoom lens (MPB - £69) for M4/3 mount

(Links are for example only - more research is recommended)

If you want a brand new setup, then you'll be firmly in entry level gear, and all new entry level cameras will shoot decent video, broadly speaking.
You will be able to get a kit --camera+standard lens - for your budget.
Bear in mind, once you buy into a system (Canon, Nikon, M4/3 etc) you'll be sticking with it for a while.

Everyone will have their own views/preferences, and I'm not an expert, but hope this helps.
As Sphexx and Phil said though, she'll probably have a good grasp already of what she will need.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Back