best camera up to £500 ?

Name
Graham Mc
Edit My Images
Yes
Not been online or followed the market for a long while.
I've just won a local competition with the newspaper, the prize is a camera up to the value of £500.
As this is for my mum and needs a better camera what would folk suggest ? the subject matter would be landscapes/woodland etc.
many thanks in advance.

If it's a compact you're thinking of then it might be worth considering a Canon G7x, there are some pics taken with it (and a 5d3) in this thread :)
I have a sony rx100 mk1, if you can find the mk2 still around then that's worth thinking about as well.

You can get this Canon Eos M from Argos at the moment £199.99 which is fantastic value for the type of camera and the features.
You would have money left over for accessories like a case, spare batteries and even a extra lens.

I'm guessing the prize value is retail price - are you restricted as to where you can buy?

What are the ergonomic criteria? - does it needs to be pocketable for every day use? Do you want interchangeable lenses? If you do would you top up the budget for the lens or is this "all in"?

if it's for woodland then something with excellent high ISO performance should be considered, the cost would impact on the glassware as you might be limited to f3.5-5.6

Thanks for replies, it will probably have to be bought from Lincoln branch of LCE, i'm guessing because jessops has closed down.

Check out the Sony a6000, Amazon and John Lewis list it at £504 with the kit lens.

Panasonic LX100 is £550 after cash back. :)

Back