Best editing suite set up

I'm currently using a Windows Desktop with a fairly cheap BenQ monitor I calibrated with a Spyder Pro. Not a very expensive set-up as the desktop itself is about 5 years old so is in need of upgrades...It has an SSD but all my RAW files are on a normal HDD and backed-up in the cloud using OneDrive (along with the light room catalogue backups)

In future I think I'll be purchasing a Macbook for the portability and screen/hardware quality.

I have two Dell 4k ultrasharp monitors running from a self-built i7 PC with an Nvidia 660GTX graphics card (twin 4k outputs). But, LR has been slow with the “use graphics acceleration” option switched on. It sped up once I turned that off.

But as that PC is getting pretty old now (5 years plus) and has been a bit flaky at times, I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a new Intel Hades Canyon. Into that I put a 1TB Samsung NVME SSD and 32GB RAM which absolutely flies. Amazingly fast. The Hades Canyon can drive up to 6 monitors, but I’ve just got it driving the 2 Dells using Displayport. Incredible as the thing is about the size of a hardback novel. And it’s soooo much quieter than my fan laden custom built tower thing.

However, the Hades Canyon crapped out on me on Monday. It simply would not switch on, and wouldn’t even get to the boot menu. No idea why not. So I pulled the SSD and RAM out and sent it back to Scan.co.uk for a replacement. When I used Lightroom on it for the few days it was working, it was a dream. Wham bam!6C482F55-000F-4412-A644-01172F35079C.jpeg

Last edited:
I just got my replacement Hades Canyon and got it all up and running. I took the opportunity to add a further 2TB NVMe SSD to the original 1TB one. The new 2TB one is a Samsung 970 Evo and runs at 3500MB/s read and 2500MB/s write. The 1TB SSD is a 970 Evo Pro and it runs at 3500MB/s read AND write which is pretty astonishing. I've used Crystal Disk Mark to verify this. Bonkers fast. 32GB RAM on board too.

So you can see how small it is, the Hades Canyon is on the right of the pic.
Editing Setup.JPG

Last edited:
A custom built PC for me - Intel i7-7700k, 16GB ram, Samsung Evo solid state drive(s), Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb graphics card and a Mac LED Cinema Display - old screen but actually still very good, nice freebie from work calibrated with an old Huey Pro (which is also still good). You don’t really need such high specs for photo editing but I like to do a bit of sim racing too.

Mac Pro for me, a 3 GHz 8 core model, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, dual AMD FirePro D700 6GB graphics cards and a BenQ PD3200Q 32" IPS monitor.

Had it a couple of years and still does what I need it to do.

Surface Book and 2 x 27" Dell Ultrasharp 1440p Displays. Meets my editing and occasional gaming needs perfectly

I have a 2010 iMac and it still runs Lightroom and photoshop without any problems

think my current build is a xeon cpu, 8gb ddr3 ram with windows 10. The only thing i wish it really had as an upgrade is a ssd system disk as it tends to handle any photo editing i ever do along with the 2d autocad stuff i do, would be nice to do a new build but seems fruitless shelling out 800 quid to get the spec i would want when this one is still working ok. Would definitely love to upgrade the monitors though to a 4k setup

2012 (last of the self upgradeable) Mac Mini 2.5ghz dual core, 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM & a 27 inch Acer 2k Monitor. Seems to do just fine but aware it may need replacing over the next few years...

Back