Best free photo editing sites

Name
JB
Edit My Images
No
Hi. New to photography and fancy a dabble. Have an old EOS and a portrait/landscape lens as well as an Idiots Guide so lets see how we go. Was wondering if anyone can recommend any ok free editing sites that I could look at. Many thanks

Hi. New to photography and fancy a dabble. Have an old EOS and a portrait/landscape lens as well as an Idiots Guide so lets see how we go. Was wondering if anyone can recommend any ok free editing sites that I could look at. Many thanks

Don't use a site - download software for use on your computer.

Best of the 'free' packages for processing images are Digikam, Darktable, Raw Therapee. Canon may also have a free image processing package that you can download and use.

If you want to go for more advanced photo manipulation, GIMP is the way to go.
GIMP is very powerful but if you’re a beginner I would stay away from it at least until you’ve mastered basic edits. The first thing you should be concentrating on is getting used to basic adjustments (white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation etc.) to RAW files. For this you’ll need something like RawTherapee or Darktable. I started with the RT then moved onto DT as there was more options for local adjustments (where you change eg. Saturation on only part of the image, which is very useful). These both have a bit of a learning curve but much easier than GIMP. Also GIMP can’t edit RAW files so you’ll have to convert them using one of these programs anyway. By all means give GIMP a go when you’re feeling more confident but I don’t think it’s a good starting point

I've never used an online editing package but before uploading a photo to it I would read the terms and conditions very carefully to see if there is a copyright or useage right grab in there somewhere.

Back