Best fujifilm for Birthday

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I am an absolute bog standard newbie looking for some advice from you more knowledgeable folk.
My wife has a big birthday soon and as we can't go anywhere, have a party or anything that could properly mark the occasion I thought I would buy her a REALLY nice camera. She has zero experience with anything above a normal point and click digital camera.
I started researching last week and have narrowed it down to the Fujifilm XT3, XT4 or X-H1. I think she would love either of these, especially in the silver and black.
Any advice welcome as my head genuinely hurts after a good week long deep dive into this complicated new world.
What would you buy in my situation?

I wish I was married to you :oops: :$

Joking aside, I've just bought the X-H1 as a replacement to my big Nikon. One thing I would say is that while they are REALLY nice cameras, 'professional' cameras like these are designed for people who know what they're doing. Put another way, lower-end cameras are designed to be easy and enjoyable to use. The reason they're so expensive is because they have a lot of functionality that in reality, a beginner wouldn't use, and might have a steeper learning curve than a lower-end model. They will also be heavier and larger than other models (especially the X-H1). Is your wife looking to 'get into' photography seriously? If not then you might be burdening her with a lot of homework to get her head around.

What I might suggest is another model, maybe the X-E4 with a kit lens. This is a high end camera (pushing £1000) but designed more for amateurs. It's much smaller and lighter than the X-T and X-H models but packed with great tech, like touch-screen etc. and NO ONE would be able to tell the difference between images taken on an X-E4 and X-T4.

Thats interesting and exactly the type of input I need, thank you. I leaned toward the more pro setup just incase she really gets into the hobby. Is something like the Xt4 too complicated for the beginner to really use?

Thats interesting and exactly the type of input I need, thank you. I leaned toward the more pro setup just incase she really gets into the hobby. Is something like the Xt4 too complicated for the beginner to really use?
No, I'm sure your wife could get her head around it. It would be a bit more complicated than an 'amateur camera'. But you would be paying (a lot) for tech she might well never use, in a big heavy body that she may not enjoy lugging around. For no improvement in image quality. The only analogy I can think of is someone who knows little about cars buying their wife an F1 car.

[edit] if she gets into, (which I'm sure she will!) then she can always upgrade! You could spend the money saved on some lovely accessories - posh strap, weird thumb rest thingy, leather case.

Last edited:
Offering a different thought... The Fuji line is actually simpler for beginners in my experience. There are three things that control exposure. Shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Fuji has three dials on the camera (and lens if you get one with an aperture ring). Set all three to the red "A" and you're fully auto. Change 1 and the others compensate, set all three manually, and you're fully manual. It's really very simple compared to PASM dials which are less intuitive. I used to teach adults, and their first look at the Fuji (X-T1) was "wow that looks complicated", but when they understood shutter, ISO and aperture many wanted to know why the Canikony's weren't designed like that!

If your wife never intends to progress past "point & shoot", then perhaps I'd agree that the X-T or X-H line is very over-specced. But if she intends to learn more about photography and the controls available to her, then the Fuji will seem like a much simpler entry.

As Tom mentions, the X-E line has a smaller form factor which may suit your wife better, and there's also the X-T30 which has more "auto" functions. If it were Mrs H., I'd probably go X-E4, 35mm f/1.4 (because it's truly a "wow" lens) and the 18-55 "kit", picking the X-E4 over the X-T because of form factor alone, and as Tom says - there is really very little difference that an amateur would see/notice.

I suppose anyone could be a normal user :) But anyone from "enthusiastic amateur" up to professional would get the most out of it. There's nothing stopping a happy snapper putting all three dials on "A" and getting some great pictures without ever moving off that.

That's really interesting point as the dials are the first thing I noticed about the Fuji line, just seemed more intuitive to my eye. I know I'd be more likely to experiment with the dials than entering the menu to change settings etc.

I bought My wife and xm1 last Christmas. It’s a pretty basic body but takes great images. However, she soon reached its limits and I bought her an xt1 for Xmas. She has no prior photography experience but has picked it up very quickly. Once I taught her about iso and aperture etc, she was off figuring It all out for herself.
There are aspects of the xt1 she will never use, but it doesn’t hurt to have it there.
I use an xt3 as my main camera now and it does everything I need it to and more.

Offering a different thought... The Fuji line is actually simpler for beginners in my experience. There are three things that control exposure. Shutter speed, aperture and ISO. Fuji has three dials on the camera (and lens if you get one with an aperture ring). Set all three to the red "A" and you're fully auto. Change 1 and the others compensate, set all three manually, and you're fully manual. It's really very simple compared to PASM dials which are less intuitive. I used to teach adults, and their first look at the Fuji (X-T1) was "wow that looks complicated", but when they understood shutter, ISO and aperture many wanted to know why the Canikony's weren't designed like that!

If your wife never intends to progress past "point & shoot", then perhaps I'd agree that the X-T or X-H line is very over-specced. But if she intends to learn more about photography and the controls available to her, then the Fuji will seem like a much simpler entry.

As Tom mentions, the X-E line has a smaller form factor which may suit your wife better, and there's also the X-T30 which has more "auto" functions. If it were Mrs H., I'd probably go X-E4, 35mm f/1.4 (because it's truly a "wow" lens) and the 18-55 "kit", picking the X-E4 over the X-T because of form factor alone, and as Tom says - there is really very little difference that an amateur would see/notice.
Great detailed post thank you

I bought My wife and xm1 last Christmas. It’s a pretty basic body but takes great images. However, she soon reached its limits and I bought her an xt1 for Xmas. She has no prior photography experience but has picked it up very quickly. Once I taught her about iso and aperture etc, she was off figuring It all out for herself.
There are aspects of the xt1 she will never use, but it doesn’t hurt to have it there.
I use an xt3 as my main camera now and it does everything I need it to and more.
I will be learning along with her as I only started on my dslr journey a few weeks ago and am still trying to figure what everything does. I recently took the Canon EOS 1100D I bought my daughter a few years ago for a school media course out of a drawer lol ( It got little to no use from her although it was a £250 2nd hand buy).
This is a complicated hobby with a ton to learn.

I think Ian’s right about X-T bodies being more intuitive than other brands’ pro bodies with their dedicated dials.

I will be learning along with her as I only started on my dslr journey a few weeks ago and am still trying to figure what everything does. I recently took the Canon EOS 1100D I bought my daughter a few years ago for a school media course out of a drawer lol ( It got little to no use from her although it was a £250 2nd hand buy).
This is a complicated hobby with a ton to learn.
This forum is a great place to troubleshoot :)

I will be learning along with her as I only started on my dslr journey a few weeks ago
It'll be a cool hobby to do together. Welcome to TP!

I think Ian’s right about X-T bodies being more intuitive than other brands’ pro bodies with their dedicated dials.
I know what I'm like and I'm far more likely to mess around with settings if the dials are right there. They are also the best looking camera I've come across by a fair distance, doesn't hurt they also happen to be technically the best.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I'll be honest and think that it would eat at me if I bought a lesser camera now that I know the Fuji X series exist.
Battery life isn't a concern for me as I'll just carry extra. What I'm really stuck on is the importance of weatherproofing and Ibis.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
I'll be honest and think that it would eat at me if I bought a lesser camera now that I know the Fuji X series exist.
Battery life isn't a concern for me as I'll just carry extra. What I'm really stuck on is the importance of weatherproofing and Ibis.
weather proofing and IBIS are probably the most useful features of pro cameras. For me, at least! Much more useful than a million frames per second or the newest auto focus system.

weather proofing and IBIS are probably the most useful features of pro cameras. For me, at least! Much more useful than a million frames per second or the newest auto focus system.
We plan on a fair bit of hiking, camping and flat water canoeing this summer so I actually think I will benefit from both.

I actually laughed when I posted that. The canoeing might be time to break out the older dslr

Man the X-E4 looks like a great option. Another beautiful camera. I just worry that 6 months down the line I'll be wishing I paid the extra few hundred for the XT4. This is a genuinely tough decision.

If size isn't an issue then the X-H1 is the best all-round bet. Love mine, I consider it the best APSC camera to buy right now bar none, unless ... like I say, size matters. X-T4 isn't much smaller, is more expensive by quite a chunk and barely any advantages - I'd take X-H1 plus a nice lens over an X-T4 any day

After all this if you don’t but the X-T4 you’ll always be wondering if...

..just go for it with the 16-80 kit lens to start with.

If size isn't an issue then the X-H1 is the best all-round bet. Love mine, I consider it the best APSC camera to buy right now bar none, unless ... like I say, size matters. X-T4 isn't much smaller, is more expensive by quite a chunk and barely any advantages - I'd take X-H1 plus a nice lens over an X-T4 any day
I think the big advantage the X-H1 had over the X-T3 was the stabilisation - but the xt4 has that. If you’re going all out - I’d get the xt4. It’s better and smaller and got an extra dial where the XH1 has an lcd screen

Hi all,
I am an absolute bog standard newbie looking for some advice from you more knowledgeable folk.
My wife has a big birthday soon and as we can't go anywhere, have a party or anything that could properly mark the occasion I thought I would buy her a REALLY nice camera. She has zero experience with anything above a normal point and click digital camera.
I started researching last week and have narrowed it down to the Fujifilm XT3, XT4 or X-H1. I think she would love either of these, especially in the silver and black.
Any advice welcome as my head genuinely hurts after a good week long deep dive into this complicated new world.
What would you buy in my situation?

I was lucky and had those Fuji's at the same time, then moved to Sony and the one X camera I kept was the X100V as for me it's the best one for my uses. I did like the X-H1 when I had it and thought it was a cracking camera.

Just came across a XT4 refurbished in Fujifilm UK store for £1500, it comes with a years warranty. All reviews of the refurbs are excellent so I think it could be a great deal.

Fuji refurbs are usually pretty much new. I’ve had a couple of cameras off of them.

Just came across a XT4 refurbished in Fujifilm UK store for £1500, it comes with a years warranty. All reviews of the refurbs are excellent so I think it could be a great deal.

A brand new one is only £1450 at the moment; have a look at WEX

Edit: sorry you mean with the lens!! I thought body only!

Fuji refurbs are usually pretty much new. I’ve had a couple of cameras off of them.
Only downside is that you usually don't get the original box. But otherwise as Tom says - you can't go wrong.

Thanks, your advice has helped put my mind at ease.
I couldn't care less about it coming with the original box lol, never understood the fascination people have with that.
I know it makes it more valuable if reselling but I very rarely resell anything, especially something like this.

Guys the XT4 came today and if anyone is considering a refurbished camera from fujifilm UK just go for it. Not a mark/ scuff anywhere to be seen on camera, it is pristine. I'm delighted with it. Apologies for the upturned pics, I had to be quick taking them as its a birthday gift for Apr 3rd. If any mods can rotate them for me I'd be grateful.20210326_183325.jpg20210326_183325.jpg20210326_183555.jpg20210326_183615.jpg20210326_183259.jpg20210326_183605.jpg20210326_183446.jpg20210326_183609.jpg20210326_183635.jpg

Wow. Swanky box. Mine have always been plain cardboard

Wow Ian you're wife's a lucky gal :)

I had an XT4, and even though I sold as I'd bought the Canon R5, it was an amazing camera. I just had to decide one way or the other and chose Canon.
I'm sure your wife is going to be extremely happy with this!!

Wow Ian you're wife's a lucky gal :)

I had an XT4, and even though I sold as I'd bought the Canon R5, it was an amazing camera. I just had to decide one way or the other and chose Canon.
I'm sure your wife is going to be extremely happy with this!!
I really hope she loves it buddy
I know its overkill for a 1st camera but who cares. Its a huge birthday and I can't do anything else at the minute. I'm hoping she will really get a lot of use out it in the coming years.

It came with the XF 18-55. I was trying to research other more exciting lens but read that this was a great all rounder. Figured she can start from the beginning and work her way up to whichever lens suits her interests.

Back