best gloves?

normal ones and cut the thumb and forefingers off em... you only need to do it to one, but you'll look a bit silly like that

I use North Face Etip. They're superb and I can use the touch screen on my phone with them.

Rockman said:
Lowepro make gloves with grippy bits on the fingers and palms so you can hold your camera.

Mike

Does anyone in the UK actually sell these? The only place I've been able to find them is from Chinese Ebay seller HKBNS :shrug:

Have you Googled 'Photography Gloves' or take a look on Amazon.

Photography gloves are garbage, buy mountain gloves and learn to use the controls through the gloves.

I have a pair of Montane Powerydry gloves. Light enough that you can feel the camera and warm with little rubber grips on the index finger and thumb. Cost about £15 iirc

I don't use gloves for photography personally, but of all the gloves I have I'd use my fishing ones. Made from neoprene, 'grippy' rubber palm, forefinger and thumb tips can be folded back and are held in place by velcro dots.

Something like these

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/neoprene-fishing-gloves-p173515
15620-160311164630-676738172.jpg

I have some garden gloves used for cold days in photography, nice warm cover with a rubberished finger tips and palms, cost me about £8 and are generally warm anyway.

Photography gloves are garbage, buy mountain gloves and learn to use the controls through the gloves.

I didn't suggest buying 'photography gloves' just google them to see what other companies there are about that sell gloves.

I use North Face Etip. They're superb and I can use the touch screen on my phone with them.

They look interesting. How warm do they keep your hands in snow though? They look very skimpy.

I use a combination of Sealskinz ultragrips or some fishing gloves from Aldi, they were only a fiver, neoprene, finger and thumb on both hands are hinged with velcro to hold them open if required.

I got some of those Aldi gloves. Not used them yet but good to know their up to the task.

I got a pair of full fingered cycling gloves, a pair of fingerless cycling gloves and a pair off ebay last year that have a speckled grippy material to make it easier to keep hold of the camera. The most expensive was £6.99 from sports direct for the fully fingered pair and they are comfortable, warm and have a padded palm for grip. All 3 pairs are good and it depends on how bad the weather is as to what pair I use. If I'm using the wifes 650D it'll have to be the fingerless ones or else the touchscreen wont work too well.

Fingerless gloves for me... not soft and fluffy ones, mine have kevlar grips on them and are ready for me to fast rope if need be :D

Other things I have are Northface E-tips. Had them 18 months now and not got round to trying them but they seem like you probably will have enough control with them.

Unless its really, really, really cold (and you have danger from cold metal) the fingerless ones are fine.

mmm wow thanks guys so many to chose from, being skinny and a wuss i feel the cold very quick so i think i might go for the ones that have the foldback finger n thumb thanks lots :), very needed for me as last year in the snow honestly thought my fingers were going to fall off haha

They look interesting. How warm do they keep your hands in snow though? They look very skimpy.

I've not used them in snow.

But I use them for the duration of a football match and while my hands won't be toasty warm, I'm comfortable enough that the cold doesn't distract my fingers from doing their job.

That's what I like about these gloves. They're thin, but warm enough. With the added bonus of being able to use touch screen devices.

I have these, and like them
not too thick though
to add some insulation I would wear a double pair of latex gloves underneath..just a bit toastier with a layer of insulating air

I use the North Face etip.

They aren't particularly warm if you are out in the extremes of winter like we had a couple of years ago but I wear a pair of silk liners underneath and it is amazing the difference it makes. Not a touch of cold at all and that is out in the middle of Rannoch Moor -14 celsius before the sun came up.

oddly enough. i wear rip curl wetsuit gloves! lol, keep hands red hot and all fingers and hand has grippy rubber bits, only 2mm thick

I don't use gloves for photography personally, but of all the gloves I have I'd use my fishing ones. Made from neoprene, 'grippy' rubber palm, forefinger and thumb tips can be folded back and are held in place by velcro dots.

Something like these

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/neoprene-fishing-gloves-p173515
15620-160311164630-676738172.jpg

Yeah, buy fishing gloves rather than camera ones - I think the hobby tax for fishing is much lower than for photography! I got some really cheap ones from eBay, fingerless with a mitten part that folds over your fingers.

I got a pair of lowepro gloves as a gift a number of years ago, excellent gloves and remarkably warm. Just rubbish in the wet! However they are getting a bit worn now and it's quite hard to come by another pair. The ones from china will NOT be genuine gloves, and I can assure folk that the typical workmans gloves which look the same are not. The grippy bits on them are much softer and work better on cameras...

Anyway, now I'm trying out a pair of sealskin ultragrip waterproof ones - they will need a bit of time to flex up a bit but seem like good gloves.

Personally I despise gloves with a finger that folds back. Great way to get one really cold finger while out! Although I'm sure they are fine if you don't hold the camera in a ready to shoot position.

Barbour Do a glove that allows the thumb and 2 fingers see daylight when required..... very warm and flexible.....around £25 from all good stockists.....I ordered mine through a company called "Smith Country Sports".....

I tend to go for neoprene gloves, they still work even when wet (and with wet hands) I've got some shooting ones with a fold back "trigger" finger.

Yeah, buy fishing gloves rather than camera ones - I think the hobby tax for fishing is much lower than for photography! I got some really cheap ones from eBay, fingerless with a mitten part that folds over your fingers.

i have gone and borght some like that for now :)

I've got a pair of AquaTech Sensory gloves and they seem to be well thought out (if not a little expensive).
The palms and fingers have silicon nodules for grip, they're warm and semi-waterproof. The thumb and forefinger had a small cutout and behind this is a secondary layer....your thumb and finger tips can be exposed or behind this layer as suits you best.

Bob

Lucky escape at the Weekend, almost bought the Etip gloves on folks recommendations....

...until the assistant told me they were not waterproof!

Already found my present ones were 10 times the weight after a downpour at East Fortune.

Anyway bought Sealskin ones, not as good fit as Etip but at least will be fine when the rain comes on!

I actually tried my etips the other day...hated them. Back to fingerless for me!

Back