Best Lens For Music Concert Photography

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

This is my first post, so be gentle!!

My friend got me a gig next month as an official photographer at a small music festival.

I was just wondering if any of you guy's had any experience of which is a good (Cheap) lens to use for photography at music gigs.

I own a canon EOS 40D, and have the 17-85mm standard lens & a Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS.

I was thinking of the 'Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM' as it can be bought for just over £200 i would get plenty of light & decent close-up shots.

Or would the sigma lens be good enough as i will be quite close to the stage.

Can anyone give me any advise & guidance on this.

Thanks & Regards

Scott

As you've already said, you're going to need something with a nice wide aperture. Depending on your budget you can get a new 50mm f1.8 (nifty fifty) for around £60!

Oh and :welcome: to TP :wave:

Thanks for your advise grendel, i'll go and check out the lens.

I can go up to £250 for a lens. I have done quite alot of photograhpy at gigs over the last couple of years just as a hobby using a powershot G7 (As they wont let me in with my 40D), so this is my first proper go at a festival, but im hoping to get more into taking proper shots with my 40D and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advise

Regards

Scott

:):D

I'd love to start doing gigs (not sure were to begin yet) and was intrigued to learn that they'll let you in with a G7 but not an SLR. Do they have 'size police' on the door then?

I agree a good 'fast' aperture (<F2.8) will help combat having to crank the ISO up. Although a little noise in the picture can help with the atmosphere of a B&W shot.

I have done a few outdoor events and the 50 is great if you can get close. I think the 100 would be quite good though. If you are going to be using the long end of your sigma then be aware that you need decent light for the fast shutter speeds that are needed.

I'd love to start doing gigs (not sure were to begin yet) and was intrigued to learn that they'll let you in with a G7 but not an SLR. Do they have 'size police' on the door then?

I agree a good 'fast' aperture (<F2.8) will help combat having to crank the ISO up. Although a little noise in the picture can help with the atmosphere of a B&W shot.

Usually it say's on the ticket, no professional type cameras allowed, So Basically if it's got a detachable lens, they wont let you in with it, as they consider that a pro type camera. They usually check my case when i go in.

OK, so i've got myself a canon 85mm f1.8 & 50mm f1.8, hope this should do the job,

Festival is next Friday / Saturday.

Does anyone have tips or advise on photographing at music gigs, it would be much appreciated (y)

Ha. I was about to suggest the 85 and 50 1.8s. They should do you proud..

There have been countless threads on gigs here on TP, a quick search should provide you with ample tips, tricks and inspiration. (Just search for gig, concert, music, etc).

My main tip, have fun, and don't over-think it.

G'luck (y)

Cheers Mate, I think it's probably been over-thunk already, am bricking it :help:, there's gonna be Supergrass, Alabama 3, The Damned, and a few other less known names, im not getting paid, the festy will own the photo's, im just glad my friend could get me in for the experience, but it's a bit scary all the same, as this is my 1st gig outing with the DSLR.

Am still looking forward to it though :nuts:

don't be afraid to crank up the iso if you have to. it's better to have the shots, even if they are a little grainey, than to have a pile of blur....... best of luck too. what gig is it?

don't be afraid to crank up the iso if you have to. it's better to have the shots, even if they are a little grainey, than to have a pile of blur....... best of luck too. what gig is it?

It's a wee festival called Wizard festival, at a place called New Deer, bout 30miles or so out of Aberdeen, just in it's 2nd year.

Nice, that's some pretty big names. You say the festival will own the photos.. is that standard practice for the 'big' gigs does anyone know? Regardless it could be awesome for your portfolio if you decide to carry on in that vein in the future.

i dont know if it's common practice, but i've been hired as one of the festivals photographers, there will be a local newspaper there aswell, but any pictures they take, will be owned by the paper, and the festy will see nothing from, where as my pictures (if any good :shrug:) will be for the festival organisers, to do with as they wish.

Which i dont mind, *** this is probably the only time im going to get full access to photograph so many gigs over such a short space of time.

Dont get the nifty 50, its awfully slow at auto focusing in low light.

I managed to get good shots with my tamron 17-50, but was close to the stage, also with a 40D

Already got a nifty fifty, but im also looking at a Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 or Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 aswell, but with time rapidly running out time, i might just have to make do with what i've got.

I'll check out the 17-50mm aswell

thanks for all your comments guy's

I've gone with the nifty fifty, 85mm f1.8, also just bought a tamron 28-70mm f2.8.

This will have to do, as i've no £'s left!!

Festival is this fri/sat :woot:, will try and post some of my results (If any good) sometime next week.

Back