Best lens for sports on 7Dii

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

I'm planning to hire a 7Dii next weekend to test for my events work and will be taking photos of a charity cycle and run.

I currently shot with a 5D3 and 70-200mm 2.8. This has given me some good results, although it's only got 6fsp, so I'm interested to see howthe 7Dii will compare.

I'm wondering which lens to use, I could just put the 70-200 on, but wondering what other options there are? There don't seem to be many fast lens made specifically for APSC cameras?

It's surprising how shots you have to trawl through that are out if focus or people have there eyes shut it are making strange faces
I get enough useable images from the 5D3 but the more frames you have to choose from the better generally speaking, and for the amount for work I do there's no way I can justify a more expensive camera. But saving time in post processing is important for me and I would hope to have more in focus frames to choose from by using a7Dii but maybe that's wishful thinking?

My view stick with your 70-200 that way the only thing you have changed is the body.

I've had a 7D2 since the week it was launched and love what it produces. The 70-200 should be a keeper for you, especially as you will get the benefit of the 1.6x crop factor. It's a no-brainer for me.

I love my 7d, I also have the 70-200 2.8 and its a great match up, you will just miss the ISO performance of the 5diii both the 7d and the 7dii leave abit to be desired with the iso performance in my experience.

If you shoot at 100-400ISO then you should be fine

My son is a professional rugby player for Bath and I use a Canon 7d mkii with a 70-200 2.8 from the stands at all games and I love the images it produces,I also 1.4 tele converter but rarely use it .I also have the 5dmkiii and it's just not quick enough for me.

I also think the 7D ii / 70-200 2.8 would be a good combo for sport. That is if you will be doing sport on a regular basis. If not, then stick with what you have. 6fps is more than enough. Get your timing right and it will be plenty.

I use my 7D mk ii with my 70-200 IS most of the time. If I do shoot continuous - I shoot on Slow as post processes taking forever. Most of my shots are bikes flying through the air! I'm looking at going to the 5Dmkiii for the full frame photos - or will I regret it?

70-200 is the perfect sport lens to work with the 7d mkii... Use that combination for football & cricket along with a charity run.

Back