Best Nikon safari body to put on a 600mm f4 lens

Name
Neil Williams
Edit My Images
No
I no longer have a Nikon body but I still have my Nikon 600mm lens (latest model). I’m planning a safari so need a body to screw onto my lens....... what’s the best options out there??
Neil

If weight isn't important then D850, or if you want crop then D500. If lower weight matters then D750.

I'm a Canon shooter so can't advise you other than more info please. What's the budget, and do you want full frame or the extra reach of a crop?

No budget. I’m really not sure if crop or full frame would be better. I’ve always used full from in the past.
Neil

Crop is handy if you really want a 900mm lens, but otherwise stick with FX in that case.

I'd not suggested a D5 because it's big, heavy and designed to last forever, and I don't get the impression that this will be a tool to use every day for 10 years.

D850 D810 will offer excellent crop ability or a D500
Others that should be considered D3/3s D4/4s D750 all still very capable camers or just go get a D5 but be aware it looks like the D6 is on the not to distant horizon.

For safari a D750 would be nice, FX and a good autofocus system and a lightish compact body compared to its bigger brothers.

Just get the D850 and grip Neil.

Keep the Q2 handy for everything else.

Back