Best place to get a polariser?

B+W and Heliopan does not suffer. From anything. :D Ha!

Aha, but still there is a big difference between these two filters! B+W is well over £140 while the Heliopan is under £70! Is the Heliopan really a competition to B+W?

Sorry for asking so much on this since I have never been a fan of add-on filters other than the odd UV which I used to use for protection; so, this is all new to me but I am interested in getting a good CP.

Thanks.

I've beens using a Marumi 77mm CPL on a nikon 12-24. It's an excellent filter and shows no sign of vigenetting. (It's thinner than my Hoya Pro UV filter!)

Takes a cap fine as well.

I guess that settles it then, Marumi it is. Thank you all for the great feedback here.

Its certainly been an eye opener! Mines on order :D

Which one did you order, then?

Marumi one, hope its goooood

radiantvision,

First off, thank you for recommending Marumi. I just got a hold of my CP a couple of days ago and managed to go out and "play" with it today (health was a lot better). For the price, I got the cheaper copy for my 77mm lenses.

On the Sigma 10-20 it worked very well. No vignetting at all! There is a small issue with some of my pictures coming out with a weird haze, but I am not sure if this is just because I am not too able with CPs, or was there something else ... I'm looking into that. Still, the filter performed better than expected.

Again, thank you so much for recommending this filter. You've saved me a huge amount of £££ as I was about to go ahead with the B+W!

Murami is an excellent brand.

Over in Japan its the premium brand, you will only find Murami and Kenko in Japanese camera stores - no Hoya!

Isn't Kenko rebranded Hoya for the Japan market :shrug:?

Its the other way round actually - Hoya is the westernised version of Kenko.

aha ... I knew the two were related somehow :). Thanks for correcting me.

However you definately made the right choice choosing Murami - its the Japanese equvilant of B&W or Heliopan.

That good :woot: !?! ... I saw they have two types for the 77mm, one at just around £40 and the other around £140!

Thinking if I wanted something at the price of £140 then I would have gone for the B+W or heliopan, but I settled for the £40 at the recommendation of other forum member ... and I have to say it seems really great, so far!

Back