Best position at silverstone for motogp

Name
Mathew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys. Just wondering what the best position to sit (grandstand) at silverstone for a fair bit of action, and good vantage point.

I own a 70-300 telephoto lens so a reasonable amour of reach with it.

First time this year so need some help and tips etc

Hey guys. Just wondering what the best position to sit (grandstand) at silverstone for a fair bit of action, and good vantage point.

I own a 70-300 telephoto lens so a reasonable amour of reach with it.

First time this year so need some help and tips etc

I've only been a couple of times, but its a right royal pain to get decent shots due to the fencing everywhere. I'll let someone provide more detail of the good points but its not overly promising.

I've went to Abbey and that was ok, but the circuit has changed alot in that area so might not be so good now :shrug:

Luffield, but you'll need a longer lens than that.

Not sure there's any grandstands that'll give you decent shots with that lens to be perfectly honest.

They may be "ok", but they'll be full of fence. In my experience of Silverstone in it's current form (Shooting the LMS at the end of last year) you'll need something circa 400-500mm at the long end on a crop body. Most of my GT shots were taken from between 350-500mm. That was from up against the fence and shooting cars. HTH

Last edited:
At the last WSB meet I stood by the fencing at Luffield and shot with a 100-400 at it was fine. Just get close to the fencing, and make sure you get there VERY early.

Steve

Are the organisers (Dorna) as strict as F1? I can't recall whether or not they open up the infield to spectators? Thankfully contracting for them means taking photos from the infield can be trouble free, though with the new section there is a lot more fencing but still plenty of fenceless parts if you have a long enough lens.

Thanks guys I will look more into this. Have any of you got so e shots at the places you took them? Just to see what I'm up against.??

and at Luffield the bikes will be leaning away from you rather than towards you which I think is the more attractive angle.

I agree, but Luffield is the only place I would have said where you even stand a chance of being close enough with a 300mm lens.

Thanks guys I will look more into this. Have any of you got so e shots at the places you took them? Just to see what I'm up against.??

Stowe

4984063888_878aae2a53_m.jpg

Vale in

4984064954_dee6046dfc_m.jpg

Club

4984065954_cd4f24b02d_m.jpg

Coming onto the Wellington straight, from Aintree

4984067166_3f4069a37a_m.jpg

Brooklands

4984092866_38fe465e10_m.jpg

Luffield

4983502531_618fba46d3_m.jpg

None of these are from grandstands. All right up against the fencing, and a few were shot through the fencing, others over and around it. All shot with a Bigma on a 1D Mark II

Inside of the first corner was decent for wsbk, didnt need stupid amount zoom either

Either in the small stand or right up to the fence

I'm going to be there for the weekend and will be taking in lemans in may as well.

Really fancy doing s third motogp race this year but not sure which circuits make for good photo opportunities.

Big_Ham said:
Looks like Luffields to me?

Yes, my error. It was at Luffield, about the only place I could get close enough to the fence to get a decent shot.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Back