Wales Best time to catch some snow on the Snowdonia tops

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
I'm planning to take a week's photography holiday in Snowdonia and thinking March or April.

I don't like the summer much and don't want to wait until Autumn.

I want to include some snow on the tops, and possibly frozen streams, but don't want there to be so much snow that I need crampons when I step out the car or even get the car stuck on the road.

I don't necessarily need to reach the summits as I prefer images of the mountain tops rather than from the mountain tops.

I remember going with my then-fiancee to Snowdon in about 1995 at Easter, walking from the Pen-y-Pass car park in snow and the conditions on the Miners Track were fine as far as Llyn Lydaw ; then we turned back soon after that as it really needed crampons. However this situation would be fine as I'll be lugging a large format outfit and tripod so will be happy to not go too far.

Does anyone have any recent knowledge of the probability of snow in March or April ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have booked a cottage in Snowdonia for March, the owner said that there is usually snow on the mountains. Hope a local or frequent visitor can confirm this.

With the weather as it is in recent years I imagine your guess will be as good as anyone else's. You could be thigh deep in snow in April, or basking in the sun with gambling lambs amongst the daffodils in March. The last few years we seem to have had a late cold snap, but who knows what's waiting for us this year.

Mr Badger is absolutely right. With a combination of climate change and a variable maritime climate, it's pretty well impossible to predict when it will snow, and a bit easier to predict that after a snowfall the chance of a melt within a few days is pretty high, at least outside of the January-February period. Thre was snow on the tops this morning; on 5 April this year I was ankle deep in snow at 650 m (but this is unusual). Ideally, watch the weather and come when it looks good rather than fix a date months in advance - but that ay not be possible. If you google 'Ogwen Valley Mountain Rescue Team' they have awebcam near Tryfan which will give current conditions.

Absolutely impossible to predict. That applies through the whole winter and into spring. You can book a week away but you can't book snow in Snowdonia!

The only way is to watch the weather daily and respond to what happens on the fly. If you need to book time off in advance, then it's an impractical problem.

ps - Just been enjoying your blog pages! https://kevinthephotographer.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
I'm on my phone so doing links is PIA but if you look at my Flickr you will see a shot of Tryfan taken from Lynn Idwal on 1 February 2017. No snow in sight. A few more from Cwmorthin which is a bit further south taken around the same time. No snow.
The walk up to Idwal was almost dry, all the way up.

I'm planning to take a week's photography holiday in Snowdonia and thinking March or April.

I don't like the summer much and don't want to wait until Autumn.

I want to include some snow on the tops,

Watch the forecast/conditions and go for a weekend or couple of days when conditions are good.

M

It's totally dependent on the weather. Spoke to a local photographer last time I as in Snowdonia(end Jan 18) and he was advising that the snow was falling and disappearing the next day. :-(

Anyway I'm 4 days in Snowdonia first week of Jan, so fingers crossed.

It's the same in Scotland - usually late November- early December brings snow but not this year (thankfully - I hate the stuff). Sadly it is now on it's way. We are a small Island and thus do not get the cold crisp dry alpine style winters of central europe or Canada/USA as we are just too near the sea. If you are after a specific weather type you need to go at short notice and monitor forecasts to so you're going out in the type of conditions that suit your photography.

Don't try planning your photography around the weather, you've no chance of knowing what it's likely to be any more than a couple of days in advance and even then it changes.

Best idea is to be flexible, if the snow is too heavy on the Snowdonia mountains then North Wales has plenty else to offer, Anglesey rarely gets snow to ground level and has terrific photo opportunites itself and offers good distant views of the snowdonia mountains. The Llyn Peninsula much the same. North East Wales has some gems like the Clwydian Hills and the Dee valley around Llangollen where higher viewpoints are much more easily accessible even in snow conditions (with appropriate footwear).

There's so many photo opportunites in North Wales the weather is pretty much irrelevant, you'll always find something to photograph so just bring suitable clothing and your camera gear and forget about the weather forecast :)

Simon

Best time will be February and March the increasing day length makes things easier too.

Back