Best upgrade from 350D?

CJR

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I have had my Canon EOS 350D for a year now, and been fortunate enough to be able to afford a couple of L lenses. Now I'm thinking of upgrading the camera. I'm not bothered about full frame, so ...

What would any one advise? What have others upgraded to?

I'm thinking of the 30D.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Cathy

Well, if you can stretch to the latest and greatest, the 40D is the obvious choice.

I went from a 350D to a 30D a few months ago (a deal I couldn't refuse) and found it was a great upgrade, but a 40D offers that bit more - bigger screen, auto ISO, faster frame rate (for sports), live view, better af system, anti-dust function and so on.

Hold your horses, Cathy. Why do you feel the need to upgrade? What is it about the 350D that you feel is restricting you? What kinds of photos would you like to take, that you can't take with the 350D? If you're not sure about the answers to these sorts of questions, you might be better off investing in more lenses than a new body.

Cathy,I am upgrading,this yr from 350,to a 5D.Reason, Good reviews,35mm format,12.8mega Pixel and 810g.It cost much more than the 30D but it probably be the Last Camera I will own.I wanted a EOS 1Ds-11, but too expensive.You have to ask yourself, what do you wan,t to use it for? Good Luck in Your Choice..................

I went from a 400D to a 30D and was surprised how much I enjoyed the upgrade. The camera feels more solid to hold and much better built. The extra stops of ISO are very useful and I find the overall functionality of the camera easier. Having spot metering is also a useful tool at times. As already said, if your budget will allow then the 40D is a no brainer but otherwise I'm sure you'd be more than happy with a 30D :)

Hi everyone

Thanks very much for your thoughts on this.

Reasons for upgrading - there is nowt at all wrong with the 350D. One of the lenses I have just purchased (for wildlife, landscape and candid people shots) is the EF100-400f4-5.6 L IS, and judging from how my camera felt with the much lighter Tamron 70-300, I think I need just that bit more substance to balance the weight of this of this quality lens.

I have also been offered an excellent deal to partX the 350D and Tamron for a mint quality 2nd hand 30D, from a supplier that I trust completely, so that's also a factor. Sure, the upgrade is probably coming earlier than it would otherwise, but I think the opportunity is too good to pass up.

Also, recommendations from experts that I trust completely also, good reviews, and my own desire to progress my photography skills. I don't think I need the bells and whistles of the 40D.

Thank you all again, it certainly helps to clarify one's own thoughts when you have other opinions and comments to think about.

Cathy

Cathy,

Wildlife and a 100-400 are two quite good reasons for going for a 30D. The lens will feel much more balanced on a 30D and the option to review your shots on a larger screen will also help.

I'm not sure whether your shots will be better but they should be easier to get and secondhand 30's are good value at the moment.

Having said all that, another decent lens will do more for you than any body upgrade......spend wisely.

Bob

I have just moved from a 350d to a 40d and I can honestly say I am v happy i did.

for me I wanted spot metering, higher ISO range adn the biggie for me was the 40ds much much faster burst facility.

the 3.5" screen helped too.

It felt like going from junior school to big school but I am happy I made the move.

its not really improved my skills but it has made it easier to get the shots I want

thanks Canon Bob and Pingu.

I know that the lenses and camera will give better quality photos (I have already experienced the difference between my other L lens and its predecessor) - but I also know that they don't make me a better photographer. As a novice I still have so, so much to learn, but at least with these and a 30D I will have the best tools I can afford, ones which will last me for ever.

Thanks

Cathy

You wont go wrong with a 30D. I didn't realise till today though that the 40D now has a full magnesium body, which with the other tweaks makes it a very nice camera indeed.

I went 350D-->30D a couple of months ago. Just before the 40D came out...

I got a good PX deal from a mate of mine so was the right thing to do at the time.

Now I would go for the 40D instead, but am probably not going to bother going 30D-->40D.

Hi all

I have had my Canon EOS 350D for a year now, and been fortunate enough to be able to afford a couple of L lenses. Now I'm thinking of upgrading the camera. I'm not bothered about full frame, so ...

What would any one advise? What have others upgraded to?

I'm thinking of the 30D.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Cathy

Any Nikon :LOL: :bat: :exit:
Paul ;)

Back