Best way of backing up sd cards when travelling?

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Of to Disney next week and this time plan on not taking laptop or dslr (Fuji x100 will be fine). Only one card slot so being paranoid about card failure or losing them would like to backup.

Best way I can see is a sd card connector for iPad and use that (or phone)? Any other ideas (that don't cost more than £20 or so)

Use a micro-SD card that you can pop into a tablet or smartphone. If you only have iDevices then your SD card connector is the best bet.

what other options are available? - i have an android device and would be interested in other options.

For android the cheap / small option is a USB OTG (On the go) converter, and some usb memory sticks.
Either connect camera to Android via OTG converter (using usb cable for camera), or use a USB reader with the OTG - this allows you to get the images onto the Android (preferably to a decent capacity micro SD in the device).
You can then connect a memory stick to the Android device vit OTG and copy from the device to the USB stick.

Not particularly fast, but works and cheap.

You can also get wireless media sharing devices, some of which have both USB and SD readers, which removes the need for the OTG connector and allows you to copy direct from the cameras card to a USB device (even a USB portable hard drive) - but when I tried one about 3 years ago it was slow and a bit unreliable, so I switched to the simpler OTG based solution.

Does Fuji not have an app where you can import the images? Might be JPG only but that's ok for backup, chances of losing any images is v slim.

I think the best strategy is to use multiple cards and rotate them while on travel and ONLY import them to your computer when at home.

The risk of loosing data by messing up with various backup devices and smartphones is bigger than if you let your cards be securely stored.

Card failures happen almost exclusively when using them. More devices you slot your cards into -> more power cycles -> more implementations of filesystem stacks your cards are exposed to-> higher chance of data loss.

sign up for a free dropbox account and set that up on your ipad i think you get 5gb for free.
copy the files onto the ipad then use the hotel wireless for them to be sent to dropbox.

I dod not get to see the amazing pictures the other guys say you have because I did a Ctrl+W on the landing page. I cannot see the point of landing pages, especially ones with no important information..

Last edited:
Back