Best way to use ND on studio flash

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I've done some research, but wondered what the general consensus is..

I expected to put the ND sheet on my reflector within the softbox. BUT the sheet is larger than I thought and I don't want to cut it. Also, don't I want light to spread wide and bounce?

I've also seen videos where the sheet is dropped over the softbox?

What do people do? My aim is the cut down the light (my ND filter on the camera sometimes misses focus).

Thanks, Mandy

Last edited:

If given the choice, I 'd rather alter the light source
in studio… not the lens.

Is the light source too strong or do you want to get
a greater ƒ stop? …or both?

I'm aiming to use f2 on my camera with the studio lighting. I've not yet played with my equipment to see what's the best approach.

Is using the reflector head inside a softbox a bad idea?

Mandy

I've not yet played with my equipment to see what's the best approach.
I would approach the situation this way starting
with the better solution…
  • turning down the power output of whatever light
    sources but preserving the ratios
  • use same ND gels everywhere
  • using a Vario ND on the lens
Is using the reflector head inside a softbox a bad idea?
I have to admit that the idea never crossed my mind just
because this would beat the purpose of a soft box without
dimming the light source… even with the inner baffle. To
say it is a bad idea I would have to try that solution as I
never did but I would would have too many hopes in my
experience.

What flash unit is it? Does it have a modelling lamp? If so, the better ones are sometimes bright enough to use on their own, with flash off, for low f/numbers like f/2, 1.4 etc. You might have to push the ISO a bit, and switch off all other ambient light, but it often works well ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your thoughts - I'll have a play and test out what happens with different approaches tomorrow and feedback.

It's an Elinchrom D light 4 (?). Experience has told me I needed a lower wattage *sigh*. A ND filter on my lens has worked well, as has bouncing the light off a wall. I'll try the modelling light too next time it's appropriate. Mandy

If the sheet of ND gel is large enough/softbox small enough then you simply drape it over the front of the softbox - that's what masking tape was invented for :) But it does seriously impact on the effective power of the modelling lamp, and each light source usually needs to be reduced, so my tool of choice is a filter over the lens.

0.9 (3 stop) is very useful, and with a fast lens, should still autofocus perfectly.

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll have a play and test out what happens with different approaches tomorrow and feedback.

It's an Elinchrom D light 4 (?). Experience has told me I needed a lower wattage *sigh*. A ND filter on my lens has worked well, as has bouncing the light off a wall. I'll try the modelling light too next time it's appropriate. Mandy

D-lites have bright modelling lamps, certainly doable (y) Switch to tungsten white balance and colour should be pretty accurate.

Right - productive morning as I've solved a few things that were bugging me.

1. The ND sheet works fine taped to the reflector - I can't discern any changes in coverage.

2. The ND sheet does lower the modelling light - but I also learnt that a high power output = high modelling light. So, with or without the ND sheet, I can use a high power, position with the modelling light and then lower the power to the correct settings.

3. The ND sheet creates a muted, green colour cast - no problem as I shoot too warm anyway / shoot RAW.

4. I can switch from studio to natural light without worrying at the filter on my lens.

5. I solved a catchlight problem that was bugging me from a previous session - hubby said I'm shooting low down and asking the model to lower their chin - hence losing the catch lights!

No real pictures to share as I was using a polystyrene head (no, not my husband) perched on a bike. I'll post pics from a proper session when I do one. Thanks for everyone's input. Mandy

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but D-Lites have versatile modelling lamp settings - off, max, min, or in proportion to the flash setting (and, unusually, that's accurate).

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but D-Lites have versatile modelling lamp settings - off, max, min, or in proportion to the flash setting (and, unusually, that's accurate).

Forgot to add - tested out modelling lamp too and I think I could use it on its own.

As for model lamp settings. I pressed a lot of buttons without checking the manual, so thanks for the additional details. Something I need to check properly. Mandy

Using the modelling lamp can work well with a softbox and all that diffusion but under some circumstances can give a very different light pattern from the flash tube.
These are the only examples I have to hand. . exactly the same modifiers (Lencarta SF300, small octa & gaffer tape cookie) and processing

Flash:

Flash.jpg

Modelling lamp:

ModellingLamp.jpg

Using the modelling lamp can work well with a softbox and all that diffusion but under some circumstances can give a very different light pattern from the flash tube.
These are the only examples I have to hand. . exactly the same modifiers (Lencarta SF300, small octa & gaffer tape cookie) and processing
That's interesting... I'm rather struggling to understand why there is such a significant difference.

That's interesting... I'm rather struggling to understand why there is such a significant difference.

Interesting but I'm thinking that's more the cookie (distance?) or maybe lens aperture, rather than the softbox itself?

Whenever I've used modelling lamps instead of the flash, I can't see any difference between them with a medium/large softbox. Basically the diffuser front just homogenises everything so it's all the same. Might be a different story with an open dish reflector.

Any more details on the cookie Simon? Nice images BTW, cookies are cool :)

Edit: for anyone wondering what a 'cookie' is, it's a mask used in front of the light to project a pattern on the background. Random google example here http://www.zacuto.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/3.-Cookie-setup-e1471972088576.jpg

Last edited:
Modeling lamps often throw a different pattern (more uneven) so I can see where the lighting would be more uneven, it's the change in hardness/definition that's throwing me (I don't see how lens aperture could possibly cause such a difference). It looks like a difference in diffusion to me...

Interesting but I'm thinking that's more the cookie (distance?) or maybe lens aperture, rather than the softbox itself?

Whenever I've used modelling lamps instead of the flash, I can't see any difference between them with a medium/large softbox. Basically the diffuser front just homogenises everything so it's all the same. Might be a different story with an open dish reflector.

Any more details on the cookie Simon? Nice images BTW, cookies are cool :)

Edit: for anyone wondering what a 'cookie' is, it's a mask used in front of the light to project a pattern on the background. Random google example here http://www.zacuto.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/3.-Cookie-setup-e1471972088576.jpg
Sorry, I should have been clearer. What was obvious to me 'cos I was there clearly won't be to anyone else.

These were both taken with a small octa with no diffusers fitted, the cookie was made by stretching a criss-cross of gaffer tape across the front.
The modelling bulb is a small halogen; the flash tube approx 2 and-a-half inch diameter circle around it.

Ahh, you have the mark 1 model with the halogen lamp... Even less likely in fact to cause a recognisable diffference than the later model with the Halostar modelling lamp.
The only thing that can possibly create a recognisable difference to the finished result is the slightly different position of the modelling lamp, relative to the position of the flash tube, and as they are very close together it just doesn't make any sense to me.

Bowens have chosen a more forward positon than most for their flash tubes, which makes the position of the modelling lamps and the flash tubes even closer, so generally a good thing - except that they are much easier to break accidentally.

FWIW, 'Cookie' is American for Gobo:)

Sorry, I should have been clearer. What was obvious to me 'cos I was there clearly won't be to anyone else.

These were both taken with a small octa with no diffusers fitted, the cookie was made by stretching a criss-cross of gaffer tape across the front.
The modelling bulb is a small halogen; the flash tube approx 2 and-a-half inch diameter circle around it.

Thanks Simon :)

That makes sense - those tiny halogen bulbs are effectively a point light source so will project a much harder shadow with the front diffuser panel removed.

Modeling lamps often throw a different pattern (more uneven) so I can see where the lighting would be more uneven, it's the change in hardness/definition that's throwing me (I don't see how lens aperture could possibly cause such a difference). It looks like a difference in diffusion to me...

Depth of field, defocusing the background shadows. Though shadows on the floor suggest that's not the cause here.

Back