Undecided Best Zoo For Big Cat Photography

Edit My Images
No
I'm hoping in the next few weeks to get out to a zoo to photograph big cats (particularly snow leopards), I haven't been to a zoo for years and just wondered if anyone could give me a heads up on which would be best for photography eg. fence/glass and nicer surroundings etc -Twycross is only an hour or so from me so that was my first port of call unless there is anywhere better.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
If you want photos of Big Cats this is the place to go.

A "bit ;) " expensive but I don't think you'll get any place better in the UK.

bigcat.jpg

cheetah4.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning! Like you say pricey but would be nice to get up close with the 50 on one of the ranger days!

The snow leopards at Twycross aren't the best from my limited experience, but they are free; you can view/photograph them from the food area before paying to go in, but reflections and sun in your face doesn't make their brief appearance very fruitful ;)

My two journeys to Banham (bit of a trip - near Norwich) have been more successful, although you do have to wait for them to come off the roof in the afternoon for feeding. But while your waiting for that, the Amur Leopards and Siberian Tigers should keep you entertained.

For wire and glass free viewing, Dartmoor Zoological Park is very good, especially midweek during the winter (no hordes of kids - in fact, we had it almost to ourselves just before xmas!). A bit of a trek for you though. Tigers, Cheetahs and a Jaguar all in moated enclosures (on at least one side) with lions and lynxes behind wire.

Thanks for both of those, have family in Yorkshire & Devon so both feasible - plenty to think about!:)

For wire and glass free viewing, Dartmoor Zoological Park is very good, especially midweek during the winter (no hordes of kids - in fact, we had it almost to ourselves just before xmas!). A bit of a trek for you though. Tigers, Cheetahs and a Jaguar all in moated enclosures (on at least one side) with lions and lynxes behind wire.

Second this one. I went in the height of summer on a boiling Saturday, and it wasn't too busy even then. Awesome place, had a lovely wander round. I took a canon 100-400 and had plenty of length on a FF body.
It's only small but great for open views.

Second this one. I went in the height of summer on a boiling Saturday, and it wasn't too busy even then. Awesome place, had a lovely wander round. I took a canon 100-400 and had plenty of length on a FF body.
It's only small but great for open views.
Excellent, thanks for that I am hoping to get down there soon to visit friends so will pay it a visit!

another vote for WHF. throughly enjoyed getting up close, even with the wire (doesnt factor into your shots either as youre right up against it and DOF etc).

stroking a snow leopard and a male lion while they're led against the wire is the most surreal experience..

WHF is amazing. I've been twice and a trip I did there thanks to TP a few years back started my whole journey in wildlife photography. I just wish it wasn't so far for me to get to!

I've only just noticed this, given your location,
Lynx, easy, no bars, wire, or glass.
Cheetahs, easy glass or wire,
Tiger can be aloof, glass, but pretty difficult to shoot through the wire due to the distance.
Lions easy, glass.
All at Whipsnade.

Snow leopards, either Banham (Norfolk) Glass and wire
or Twycross. mostly glass
Both can be aloof and not "play the game"
As Neil said, you cann shoot the Snow leopards from the restuarant,
without even going into the zoo, but they can be aloof.

Jaguars & Tiger cubs (growing fast) at Banham,
Easy through glass.

The "experience days" can be expensive, but you are guaranteed to come away with a few shots,
as they will set them up for you.

Either photographers on safari
or
David Hemmings

My Snow leopards were
mostly shot at a small cat day at the small cats day at Welwyn
And the Later (first) ones at (By the water), Twycross
and the the others, Banham.

Last edited:
12284673166_c7c47c27ca_c.jpg

Don' think anyone has mentioned Marwell ?

Snow Leopards Amur Tigers and Leopards and Cheetahs, glass and wire but its possible to get some decent shots.

Thanks for all the reply's, woke up this morning and with the weather being so nice booked some tickets online (25% off) and shot an hour up the road to Twycross with the wife and kids.

The Snow Leopards were not playing ball and the Armur Leopards were fed up with kids banging on the glass so the shot I want avoided me, will definitely be checking out some of the venues mentioned here in the next few months,

Still managed to get a few nice shots of other animals from foreign lands.

Low Res

_dsc0012.jpg

_dsc0013.jpg

Last edited:
What's the latest on WHF? Went there as part of a TP meet several years ago and it was amazing but I know things kind of deteriorated a while after that and the TP organised meets were abandoned as a result.

Not entirely sure what the issues were - know the price went up but also think I heard about issue with far more restricted access/time etc.

For anyone who's been there recently, what was the access like and how much time did you get to take shots etc etc?

Thanks for any info :)

If you want photos of Big Cats this is the place to go.

A "bit ;) " expensive but I don't think you'll get any place better in the UK.

I would concur with Mrgubby here - have spent a day there myself and the photo opportunities are probably better than anywhere else you're likely to see these cats, including the wild!

Grumpy Leopard
by sadlybrokeboy73, on Flickr

Bear in mind this shot was taken with a 100mm macro lens - that's how close they get! ;)

One day I'll get back myself but would highly recommend this place!!

Matt

What's the latest on WHF? Went there as part of a TP meet several years ago and it was amazing but I know things kind of deteriorated a while after that and the TP organised meets were abandoned as a result.

Not entirely sure what the issues were - know the price went up but also think I heard about issue with far more restricted access/time etc.

For anyone who's been there recently, what was the access like and how much time did you get to take shots etc etc?

Thanks for any info :)

I'd be interested in going back too - was a very good day's photography when I went there last :)

Matt

Quick update on this, its mine and my wifey anniversary on the may bank holiday weekend and have booked us into the hotel at Marwell for the night, just have a quick question: how close can I get to the fence? Is it likely to be a problem or will focusing through it with the lens wide open some distance away still yield OK results?

Last edited:
Quick update on this, its mine and my wifey anniversary on the may bank holiday weekend and have booked us into the hotel at Marwell for the night, just have a quick question: how close can I get to the fence? Is it likely to be a problem or will focusing through it with the lens wide open some distance away still yield OK results?
I have been to Marwell, pretty good access as the zoo is spaced out over a wide area.

I have been to Marwell, pretty good access as the zoo is spaced out over a wide area.
You do realize you are replying to a 10 year old post, and the poster hasn't been seen in 7 years?

You do realize you are replying to a 10 year old post, and the poster hasn't been seen in 7 years?
yep,..
I hope to restart this thread as I was actually thinking of asking the same question recently in a new thread till I found this !

I am hopefully off to Paradise Zoo in Hertfordshire in April 2024. Colchester Zoo is my local and I will go this Saturday. What is not good for me are the many glass enclosure's !

Fair enough, we've had a handful of accounts hacked recently, and this is where they sometimes start, in a way out of date thread.
I was checking it was a genuine post.

What is not good for me are the many glass enclosure's !
Get your lens hood tight up against the glass to reduce the possibility of reflections.
You may already know this, but here it is again :)

Fair enough, we've had a handful of accounts hacked recently, and this is where they sometimes start, in a way out of date thread.
I was checking it was a genuine post.

Get your lens hood tight up against the glass to reduce the possibility of reflections.
You may already know this, but here it is again :)

I watched a YouTube video were a chap had a rubber cone shaped lens hood he used to press against the glass !
I might just get one,.. lol

Reactions: Nod
I'm not sure if the big cat sanctuary is still going. But years ago there was a TP trip. That was cool, and you could get up close ish. I think it is related to paradise zoo in some form or another.

old thread I know but would like to keep it going :)
surprised that nobody has mentioned Chester zoo has Lions, Tigers and Jaguars, used to be amazing for cheetahs including cubs but sadly they only have one now
lions are fairly easy in a good enclosure and the male is stunning
Tigers have a large area in which they can roam which is great for them but can mean that they are difficult to photograph
Jaguars have a nice enclosure also and need patience as they spend a lot of time at the back of the enclosure but worth it when they come to the front area

I watched a YouTube video were a chap had a rubber cone shaped lens hood he used to press against the glass !
I might just get one,.. lol

I think they're about 15 - 20 quid on the big river, depending on size.

ETA...

It might be worth carrying a few glasses/lens cleaning wipes to dispose of any fingerprints where you're shooting through.

Last edited:
old thread I know but would like to keep it going :)
surprised that nobody has mentioned Chester zoo has Lions, Tigers and Jaguars, used to be amazing for cheetahs including cubs but sadly they only have one now
lions are fairly easy in a good enclosure and the male is stunning
Tigers have a large area in which they can roam which is great for them but can mean that they are difficult to photograph
Jaguars have a nice enclosure also and need patience as they spend a lot of time at the back of the enclosure but worth it when they come to the front area
I believe there is a TV series on behind the scenes at Zoo, and the zoo in question is Chester. I am the wrong end of the country to pop along to Chester Zoo.
If I am ever in the area I will make a day trip to Chester Zoo for sure.

There's big cats at Dudley Zoo, but i'ts not very big and is in the middle of a town/city.

There's also big cats at South Lakes Safari Zoo.

And the famous Longleat.

Last edited:
The Wildlife Heritage Foundation is now called The Big Cat Sanctuary at Smarden in Kent
You have to book for the various experiences

They do have a very few but are pre-booked only

Back