Best zoos/museums for photography?

Edit My Images
Yes
I fancy going somewhere this weekend to get some good snaps.

I'm thinking either Animals/Cars/Planes really...

Obviously for planes Duxford is going to take some beating. For cars, Bealieu would be good, but is too far away (Somewhere in the midlands - within 60 miles of Northampton would be good). For animals, there's woburn, whipsnade, twycross and cotswold wildlife park within reach.

What I'm wondering is, firstly, what other places are there to go to?

Secondly, which animal parks/zoos are best for photography?

I went to London Zoo last year, but found that a lot of the enclosures were either behind glass or awkward to shoot easily...

Thanks for any advice
Chez

Thanks Milou - looks good, but it is too far from Northampton...

True - due to advanced years, I read Northampton as Southampton [smilie=w:

lol - fair play :)

Thanks anyway (hey, if I'm ever down that way, I'll check it out!)

Longleat is quite good, A bit of a pain if it is busy as you have to keep moving, but loads of good chances to get animals in a natural enviroment with no fences in the way. That and it is probably to far for you to go.

I think DigitalSlacker rates Chester Zoo as being good for photo's.

Longleat is too far!....

If Chester zoo is in Chester (which I presume it is!), that's also too far...

I agree with you about Duxford, but it will be a tad busy this weekend as they are holding their VE airshow (I am hoping to get there! £20 for adults and £8 for 5+) If flying appeals to you but you don't want the noise, you could always try the Raptor foundation nr St Ives (that's Cambs. not the other one! - £3.75 for adults) flying displays at 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00 daily!

AndyD

Ill be at Duxford Saturday ! taking friends 7 yr old to his first airshow (plus he is doing a VE day project at School so it fits in) ! lol so am going to brave the queues and traffic !

Hmmm, ok !!! lol

Whipsnade is good ! Went there a few weeks ago, Woburn is also good but havent been there for years, am planning to go soon with my brother ! Cotswold wildlife park is also excellent and not far from us down the A43 ! near Oxford. We also have http://www.icarusfalconry.co.uk/ at Holdenby house near Althorp ! Havent been there, but again planning to go there soon !

Cars, theres the collection at Heritage Motor Centre at Gaydon http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/, A43, M40 J12 i think ! :) again not to far !

Theres also the Shuttleworth collection near bedford for planes! http://www.shuttleworth.org/main/index.htm

You could always go to the Chestnut Centre by Chapel le Frith.
It is an otter conservation centre, its worth the extra distance just to see them.

Website

Edited due to me typing in wrong location. :eek:ops:

Google map

Chez said:
Longleat is too far!....

If Chester zoo is in Chester (which I presume it is!), that's also too far...

You are indeed correct in your assumption, so I guess you won't be giving our region the pleasure of your company then. :D

On a slightly more serious note, if you ever do venture this far up country, Chester zoo is the best in the UK

8)

I'd totally agree with what Digislacker says above.

Knowlsley safari park may come in at a close second.

Matt said:
I'd totally agree with what Digislacker says above.

Knowlsley safari park may come in at a close second.

Digislacker ! lol ;)

I may take a drive up to chester zoo one day this year, i dont mind travelling ! gets me out ! lol

And Chester is only 2 and a half hours away ! :)

when i go to the zoo, the animals hide...not fair!

I ca second going to Marwell - very user-friendly. We even blagged our way into the penguin enclosure at feeding time in exchange for some prints.

Back