Beware....More dogs!

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks very much for all the comments on my last thread "Beware of the dogs", which I won't bump and sorry for the delay....but this has really kept me busy for the last couple of weeks.
Anyway here are some more that I have shot lately........

_MG_9537-copy.jpg

_MG_9551-copy.jpg

_MG_9602.jpg

_MG_9654.jpg

_MG_9743.jpg

_MG_9748.jpg

_MG_9752.jpg

elk-hound.jpg

Hope you enjoy....
Ken.

3,4,7 are WOOF WOOF WOOF! :)

Nore sure that the B&W 1,2 works.

the three shepherds is brilliant, how many shots did that actually take, it's so difficult to get three dogs all looking in the same direction at the same time.

Ask the expert time ;)

Really nice set of shots there, particularly like the Retrievers. Question is how do you do it? That is I am struggling to get a decent shot of mine. The problem being that she has such a mix of gold and white that getting a picture without the white blowing out, but maintaining the detail and colour of the gold is proving somewhat problematic.

Example:
Misty Sunrise Queen
Misty.jpg

The colour, shade etc of the gold is just about spot on but the white just doesn't look right. In the raw file the white is not blown out but I just cant seem to get the detail of the coat here to show through :(

I dont know what KenCo will say, but here is my take:
- Shoot in RAW (which you do) then practice converting it. There is an awful lot of info in a RAW image. What looks blown out might not be.
- Practice sharpening in PS2.
- Same rules as portrait photos. Use a long(ish) lens 100mm so as to flatten and flatter.
- Blur the background (needs a fast lens for this...)

Example... (taken today in the park - no idea who's dog it is)
F4 at 200mm. Looked blown out to bu**ry in the JPG (I take RAW+JPG to review), but came up nicely in PS2
- In the RAW converter I had to underexpose by ~2 stops. Cranked up the contrast.
- Did a quick mask around the woggy on a 2nd layer.
- Ran a high pass filter (5pixels methinks) and applied "hard light" then fiddled with the opacity to suit.

woof.jpg

Hope this helps

These are the type of shots I enjoy doing & viewing.
#1 I would have tried not to get the large tree directly behind the subject.

The German Shepherds are ace, did you get a shot with them looking directly at you?

Nice work Ken

Great set Kenco... love the German Shepherds with their tongues hanging out. Made me smile :)

Excellent shots, particularly the GSD's, you seem to have found your niche!

the three shepherds is brilliant, how many shots did that actually take, it's so difficult to get three dogs all looking in the same direction at the same time.
Those 3 Gsheps are great....very well trained. When I was asked to shoot 3 dogs I said I'll try but depends how well behaved the dogs are, the wife said don't worry they are trained to the word ???? Didn't know what that meant! The women lined up her dogs (bitches in this case) and said look at me......and they did. This is what she wanted...the dogs looking to the side. I had the camera set on continuous shooting and just rattled them off. I took (having just checked) 57 shots.....some of which are spoilt only by the strong wind blowing the dogs hair, a couple from the wife getting in the shot and a couple of others from the dogs licking there noses or squinting because of the sun. A real pleasure to photograph and infact wouldn't mind shooting these again.

Ask the expert time ;)
LOL....well if one comes by make sure you give me a shout!
Pretty much what OldGit said...be more selective with your background and further away to blur it out....I think the rest is just processing, try using shadow/highlight.
The German Shepherds are ace, did you get a shot with them looking directly at you?
Cheers Matt....
I did get a couple but the wife wanted them looking to the side, so I tried both side but did manage to get one or two straight on (Ish).
The processing in this one isn't right though and that's the reason I didn't post it....I had been recording my processing from past shoots for future shoots to try and make things a little easier and just ran one of the actions to see how it would turn out....needs reprocessed but here ya go.

_MG_9757-crop.jpg

Thanks very much for all the comments.
Ken.

By the way....all these and from my other thread were shot with the Sigma 70-300. I think (but not sure about the sheps) only the last dog is a show dog.

Anyone know what breed the last one is? I'd never heard of them and supposed to be quite rare.

It's not a Keeshond is it?? Or a Norwegian Elkhound?

Hi Ken ... long time no pics seen ... my doing I expect ...:D

Weird ... I see the first pic on the post each time ... and sometimes get a second but different each time ...:thinking:

Anyone figure out why this happens ... as I guess there are five or so pics to see ...:shrug:

First shot (the one I can see each time) is good Ken ... except for having the tree behind the subject ... bit distracting ... imo ...:D

:p

are we sure they are all german shepherd dogs? The one on the left looks like belgian malinois. Doesn't really matter as they are all really ace. Great job!

Kenco, can I ask what softwear you are using to do the borders/frames?
thanks.;)

Back