Beyond Words - a great photographic bookshop

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Just thought I'd let you all know about a really great photographic bookshop who always have a good number heavily discounted books in. It's called 'Beyond Words' (a great name for a photographic bookshop!) and they're local to me in Edinburgh but also have a website: http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/ with the same discounts they have in-store. I love just dropping in on a lazy Saturday and seeing if anything on special offer catches my eye.

Check out this section for the discounted books.

Of the books that I've bought recently I can particularly recommend Robin Gillanders' 'The Photographic Portrait'.

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know! I have no connection to this shop by the way.

Thanks for the info jhob - I'm in Edinburgh for a few days this week so will check it out. Do you know of a good camera shop in the City as I need a few bits before the weekend & only know of Jessops (!). Any pointers gratefully received...
Phil

Beyond Words is just off the royal mile on Cockburn Street. There is also second store on Broughton Street. If you're on Cockburn Street you should also pop into Stills - a little photographic gallery a short way further down on the other side of the road.

As for camera shops, we're a little short on decent ones. There's a calumet out at Leith. GD Youngs at Haymarket isn't great, they never seem to have anything I want. There's a tiny one just off the royal mile at the castle end but I've not found them to be great either. Black & Lizars wholesale might be worth a shot, they're on Shadwick place up some stairs just to the left of the retail store. The Jessops on shandwick place is very well stocked and probably your best bet for actually finding what you want, albeit at a price! What sort of bits are looking for?

Cool... I am in Edinburgh on Wednesday and had a couple of hours free! Not anymore :LOL:

If you're on the train it's dead close to Waverley station too so even less excuse!

I've been on photographic courses done a couple of C&G modules and learnt far more from looking at the photographs of others, famous and not so famous, in the books I have.

I scour every S/H bookshop I come across and sometimes find a real gem at a bargain price, often the owners are not collectors of photographic books and have no idea of their true value.

I suppose I'm a collector now, I hadn't thought of it before :)

James

Beyond Words is great for buying random books, yesterday I picked up:

Light and Shadow - the photographs of Claire Yaffa
Landscape - Photographs of Time and Place
National Geographic Field Guide to Photographing Birds.

All three discounted and for a shade over £20 and all providing inspiration in different ways.

I'm after an SB800 flash - won't be paying more than £229 as this is the price I can buy in Salisbury so likely won't be seen in Jessops. I need a second one for saturday night so it's not desperately urgent. Thanks very much for the pointers - that's my Tuesday afternoon taken care of!!

By sounds of it you might be best off buying it in Salisbury. I know that jessops does price match so if you can get a print-off of the price they might be able to do it for you. £229 is a very good price for an SB800, I think mine cost about that from Hong Kong.

Give us a shout if you want any more Edinburgh info!

We should have a TP meet there for a browse, coffee and quick wander around the sights!?

Unfortunately I work outside the city so I wouldn't be able to meet up in the daytime. I could meet anyone early evening from about 5/5.30 onwards though.

Back