Big Sur on a 2014 MacBook Pro?

ChrisR

I'm a well known grump...
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a 2014 MBP with 16 GB RAM and a 500 GB SSD, currently running Mojave. I declined to upgrade earlier because I was so dependent on Aperture, but I've now got Capture One Pro (12) working reasonably well (the only thing that seriously annoys me is the weak "search" capability; Smart Albums are so far a poor substitute for the way Aperture worked). Since January this year all new work as gone into C1Pro, and I managed to retroconvert my older files with the help of ApertureExporter. I've only used Aperture a small number of times to find a couple of images for the "New Old film image" challenges. So I'm getting to the point of considering upgrading the OS again. My Mac wants to upgrade straight up to Big Sur.

What I want to know is: is Big Sur a "safe" upgrade for a Mac of my spec, or will performance be hit? Would Catalina (?) be better. Any nasties in either of them?

I'm assuming that I must be getting near the end of the road for upgrades, so it wouldn't be a bad idea to get as up to date as possible...

Big Sur will be fine on yours - Apple actually go as far back as the 2013 model for Big Sur compatibility :)

However, do take a look at the Capture One compatibility, as the link below is suggesting version 12 will only go as far as Catalina.

I have Big Sur running on a 2014 MacBook Pro with 8gb RAM & 500GB HDD, and it's fine. Not the fastest of machines, which is why I bought a an new iMac last year.

SSD is pretty much essential for Big Sur and newer OSX versions.

You should look at this - it works a treat...

Big Sur will be fine on yours - Apple actually go as far back as the 2013 model for Big Sur compatibility :)

However, do take a look at the Capture One compatibility, as the link below is suggesting version 12 will only go as far as Catalina.

Thank you. That's a VERY good point re C1Pro compatibility. They've just had a 50% offer for upgrades, and I was thinking of getting one when it comes through again, I hope around the end of the year. It's annoying (but not surprising) that they end the upgrade offers sufficiently before the next version that you can't get a free upgrade to that! Probably simplest to wait abit, though.
I have Big Sur running on a 2014 MacBook Pro with 8gb RAM & 500GB HDD, and it's fine. Not the fastest of machines, which is why I bought a an new iMac last year.
Thanks. From that point of view I should be OK I guess. Though I suspect there's some sort of weird hardware bug in my machine that could possibly cause more problems in a later version (the simplest symptom to describe is that it is generally unable to show the Plusnet website, whether in Safari or Firefox). Of course it might be software and get fixed!
SSD is pretty much essential for Big Sur and newer OSX versions.

You should look at this - it works a treat...

Yes, got a SSD. I was thinking of installing that fix for the occasions when I do want to start up Aperture... although that's getting less and less useful, not having this year's photos in it's library.

It will go, but it appears this will be the last upgrade for your MBP. It maybe time to think about this.
It's been on my mind for a while. The Aperture -> C1Pro process was a pre-condition for any upgrade. My general idea now is to wait around for the ARM-chip macs to settle in.

There's also a rather more complicated question on whether to upgrade to another MBP (a 16" I would expect), or to a combination of iMac plus iPad, or Mac Mini plus iPad. Either of the latter could be cheaper than a specced up MBP. My idea would be to do any PP on the iMac/Mac Mini, but use the iPad for email, web, twitter etc at home and when travelling. It would probably work, even on a fairly basic iPad, I think.

The only fly in the ointment that I can think of for this second approach at the moment: if we're away for an extended period, and I send off some films for dev/scan, I'd get an email a few days later with a WebTransfer link that's only valid for a week. How would I manage, downloading a GB or two onto an iPad? And can you read a SD card on an iPad?

It's been on my mind for a while. The Aperture -> C1Pro process was a pre-condition for any upgrade. My general idea now is to wait around for the ARM-chip macs to settle in.

There's also a rather more complicated question on whether to upgrade to another MBP (a 16" I would expect), or to a combination of iMac plus iPad, or Mac Mini plus iPad. Either of the latter could be cheaper than a specced up MBP. My idea would be to do any PP on the iMac/Mac Mini, but use the iPad for email, web, twitter etc at home and when travelling. It would probably work, even on a fairly basic iPad, I think.

The only fly in the ointment that I can think of for this second approach at the moment: if we're away for an extended period, and I send off some films for dev/scan, I'd get an email a few days later with a WebTransfer link that's only valid for a week. How would I manage, downloading a GB or two onto an iPad? And can you read a SD card on an iPad?

I can only speak from using an iPad Pro, but as long as you get a model with a USB-C port then you'll be fine. Downloading a couple of GB file is absolutely no problem. The USB-C models work perfectly with any card reader you can think of. iPadOS also has full external drive support now so you can plug in a portable SSD or HDD just as you would on a Mac. Ditto mouse, trackpad and keyboard support. The only thing missing is proper external display support, but if you had an iMac or Mac Mini that wouldn't be a problem.

Capture 1 have also announced they have an iPad app in development so you would probably be able to use the iPad for processing as well. My iPad is my main processing machine now, I haven't processed a photo in Lightroom on my laptop for nearly 2 years.

Re-upping this as I'm getting closer to a decision to upgrade to Big Sur. The upgrade page says "35.5GB of available storage on macOS Sierra or later". I have about 68 GB free on the internal SSD, so on the surface that's fine. What I want to know is whether it hangs on to all of that 35.5GB after the upgrade (ie reducing my free space to just over 30 GB), or whether a significant part of it is used during the upgrade and then released at the end?

I didn't notice a huge reduction in free space when I upgraded. It is usually because at installation time it needs to have copies of both the old and new OS.

I cannot answer your question re space, but I just wanted to let you know that I am running Catalina (10.15.7) on a mid 2014 Mac 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM with no problems at all.

I have resisted upgrading to Big Bur but I'm thinking I should soon.

I cannot answer your question re space, but I just wanted to let you know that I am running Catalina (10.15.7) on a mid 2014 Mac 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM with no problems at all.

I have resisted upgrading to Big Bur but I'm thinking I should soon.
Why were you resisting, Bebop? I did wonder about going to Catalina rather than Big Sur... I know it's possible but they seem to rather hide how to do it.

To all of you who are still on the borderline due to short amount of free space, or just too little space in general with one of these older MBPs... Well you too can apparently upgrade to cheapo nvme and have 512 or even 1TB of faster storage. Something like Crucial P2 or WD SN550... no point in getting any better. It won't support full gen3 speeds and it may have a slight issue with hibernation (workaround available). All you have to do is get £6 nvme adapter and P5 screwdriver, and ideally make mac OS install USB beforehand. Access is not difficult at all and takes 5-10min.

You need at least an absolute minimum of 10% of disc space.

Yes I was hoping to update my 2013 MacBook Pro operating system from Sierra to something newer but because it’s only 128 GB there’s not enough room to do it, frustrating
I only use the laptop when I’m away to transfer from cards and maybe do a bit of editing
I tried it out on my R5 images copying from card to an external drive but it didn’t work very well as my Mac can’t recognise CR3 raws
So the laptop is pretty much redundant now
I mostly edit using my PC so couldn’t justify a new laptop up to now but will have to eventually
when I do need to upgrade I may go for a MacBook M1x to replace laptop and PC can’t afford it at the moment unfortunately though

Why were you resisting, Bebop? I did wonder about going to Catalina rather than Big Sur... I know it's possible but they seem to rather hide how to do it.
I was worried about printer drivers, mainly. I have a very low spec Macbook that I use for travel, and having updated that to Big Sur yesterday, I have bitten the bullet and updated my main laptop today. It has all gone smoothly for both and my printer worked with the smaller laptop, so I'm expecting no problems.

I went through and deactivated all my programs to save trouble with licences and have just reactivated them all. I also made a copy of my printer profiles as some of them seemed to disappear on my smaller laptop - but I'm not 100% sure they were there beforehand.

I'm sorry I didn't think to check space used.

I had recently bought Corel Painter at a reduced rate. It wouldn't work on Catalina and the support 'inferred' that I needed Big Sur, even though according to the spec it should have been fine. I did ask him to confirm I needed Big Sur and he closed the support ticket... Corel has been my worst ever customer service I've received anywhere. I am about to ask for my money back as it still won't run and I have zero confidence in them helping me. In an online help I waited my turn, and when it came to me, I told them the problem, and they terminated the chat!!! I bought it 5 days ago and it takes almost two days to get any reply and then it is not helpful and they close the ticket. Grrr!

Just to add, my smaller laptop has a 128GB SSD. It had just under 50GB free before the upgrade from Catalina to Big Sur and there was no problem.

To all of you who are still on the borderline due to short amount of free space, or just too little space in general with one of these older MBPs... Well you too can apparently upgrade to cheapo nvme and have 512 or even 1TB of faster storage. Something like Crucial P2 or WD SN550... no point in getting any better. It won't support full gen3 speeds and it may have a slight issue with hibernation (workaround available). All you have to do is get £6 nvme adapter and P5 screwdriver, and ideally make mac OS install USB beforehand. Access is not difficult at all and takes 5-10min.
Thanks for the heads up I always thought that it was difficult to upgrade recent MacBooks
I’ve contacted my local computer shop they will do it for me at a very reasonable price it’s not worth me attempting it

One of the bonuses @ChrisR is that I can now preview images with the space bar (or on the thumbnail) from my newer cameras. I had lost that facility and really missed it in Catalina as they had never updated it.

One of the bonuses @ChrisR is that I can now preview images with the space bar (or on the thumbnail) from my newer cameras. I had lost that facility and really missed it in Catalina as they had never updated it.
Sounds good, although my newest camera is 9 years old (Fuji X10) and most are over 40 years old! Definitely dinosaur territory, here...

Back