Bird box hole enlarged to 3" - cause?

Looks like squirrel (or rat) to me.

Can be prevented by putting a metal plate over the hole (with the correct size hole in the metal!)

Grey squirrels. Reds will do it a little too, but they're nowhere near as destructive.

Here on the Isle of Wight, there are no greys - my squirrel feeder just has a few nibbles out of it and it's in its sixth year.

Feed the reds and shoot the greys - they destroy far more than feeders.

Grey squirrels. Reds will do it a little too, but they're nowhere near as destructive.

Here on the Isle of Wight, there are no greys - my squirrel feeder just has a few nibbles out of it and it's in its sixth year.

Yep, I would have said squirrels, too. Where on the IOW are you Trevor? I'm in East Cowes.

Rats or squirrels. Around ten years ago in the Winter, rats ate the bottom of our cellar door, then managed to eat through the kitchen floorboards. It must have happened quickly. We had to get pest control in, they put down traps. I managed to shoot a couple of rats in the back garden. I also put a steel reinforcement on the bottom of the cellar door, repaired the kitchen foor and fully tiled it.

Agree with the general consensus - squirrels.

You have no grey squirrels! I dream of having no grey squirrels.:)

Dave

Reactions: Sky
Back