Bird ID please !

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Anybody got the observer big book of birds and ID this for me ?

Was the size of one of the bigger Tits *snigger* (sorry) lol and looks liek a great Tit, but the yellow bits on its chest are confussling me !

erm-dunno.jpg

I would guess the same ... Young/Juvenile Great Tit (Parus major) my friend ... nice shot ... (y)

Difficult to tell from a head on though ... :p

IanC_UK said:
The little b***** wouldnt stay still long enough for any other angle, i did try ! lol

Ain't that the truth ... it is just starting to moult out into its adult colouring ... adult males are particualrly yellow in that area ... :p

It's not always as visible as that ... and yours is going through its moult in a particularly scruffy way ... it has definitely got the breast plate of black starting to show though ... and it looks like it is going to be a wide one ... good sign it will be male of the species ... :p

IanC_UK said:
LOL well unless theres a better offer ill have to take your word for it ! :)

Damn ... said I wouldn't be trusted no more after Min's stupid quiz results ... :LOL:

Don't think it's a baby Great Tit , this is one fresh from our nest box :)

tweet.jpg

But yours still has its fresh baby grow feathers on MrG ... :p

There really is not a lot else it could be ... the moulting phase produces almost as much ... if not more confusion as having all the babies and juveniles around in the first place ... (y)

Edit ... You mean Whinchat Ian ... definitely not one of those though ...:p

Venomator said:
But yours still has its fresh baby grow feathers on MrG ... :p

Must admit it did still have the ELC logo on its back ;). We've seen the rest of the brood in the back garden since they left the box over the last month or two but none have ever looked like Ians original shot.

Then again I've never claimed to be an expert at watching Tits , more of a hands on .....

:coat:

mrgubby said:
Then again I've never claimed to be an expert at watching Tits , more of a hands on .....

HeHe ... :LOL:

Me far from expert as well MrG ... just going by the pic and Ian's description ... there really isn't much else it could be ... :shrug:

Janice said:
You sure its not the beginnings of a coal tit?

Agreed it is similar Janice ... but the Coal Tit is much smaller than even the Blue Tit ... and Ian mentioned it being the size of a Great Tit ... so I would still go with my original guess ... but then I would ... wouldn't I ... :p

Good capture Ian. (y)

I'd have thought it's a juvenile Great Tit, but identification can be really difficult sometimes with the sprogs. :thinking:

Adult Great Tit...

Tit21.jpg

The beak shape and colouring makes me think it's a Great Tit. :shrug:

Looking at those 2 Ian I would go for juvenile Great Tit as well , the head/beak in the 2nd shot sells it to me.

IanC_UK said:
Does this help or make things worse ?

Isnt a great piccy but same species but looks liek female !

Are you sure these two are one and the same Ian ... :thinking:

And are they definitely the same as the first posting ... :shrug:

:p

Hmmm ...

I have to say if you were posting the first of the second on its own as an ID jobby ... my first thought would have been Coal tit (Parus caeruleus) ... :p

Reason being it looks a lot smaller and has different colouring than all the others ... particularly around the chest and bib area ... :thinking:

The second of those two is almost certainly a Great Tit as before ... which is why I asked if they were one and the same ... :p

Challenging fun is it not ... (y)

IanC_UK said:
LOL i better look through my pics again and make sure i didnt pic the wrong 2 out ! lol

It was real hard getting pics of any of them, little blinkers wouldnt stay still more than a nanosecond !

As ever with wildlife ... but nevertheless you have some great takes Ian ... (y)

Gotta go out for a bit now ... work in the smoke ... :razz:

... but look forward to maybe continuing this when I return later this after ... ;)

:p

Back