Bird Photography First Attempt

Name
Malcolm Eady
Edit My Images
Yes
Decided to buy myself a 70-200 2.8 Nikon Lens for my Nikon D7100 and it has been sitting in my office for a while. Thought I would try and get some shots with it to see what I could achieve. Pleased with these but could be a lot better with practice. I have also brought a 1.7 tele convertor for the lens but to date have not used it yet. Any advice about the lens and tele convertor use would be appreciated. These are a selection of the photos taken
DSC_0774 by Malcolm Eady, on FlickrDSC_0781 by Malcolm Eady, on FlickrDSC_0799 by Malcolm Eady, on FlickrDSC_0801 by Malcolm Eady, on Flickr

Not bad first efforts. Looks like it was harsh contrasty light. I'd try to get away from the feeding station type shots and get more natural environment pictures. Stick in.

Not a bird photogrpaher myself.. But if I was shooting them first time I would be more than happy with these.. well done :)

I was looking at those in their larger size and it confirmed what
I noticed: too soft for a successful bird hunt.

The ƒ2.8 aperture requires a tight focus on the eye and the ƒ5.6
to ƒ8 will take the whole bird in focus. At this point, I see that there
might be a front focus issue… that is if you got focus confirmation
on the eye.

AF Fine Tuning your gear would be important and critical when using
a TC in the combo.

Thanks for your comments Brash. It was a bit hectic on the station and I was getting a bit excited forgetting some of the important things

Hi Kodiak. I was thinking of changing F stop during the shoot. I will remember this for the next time. Look forward to the results following your help. Many thanks

I was looking at those in their larger size and it confirmed what

Hmmm my comments as always where on the pics I can see here in the thread.. havent looked at larger.. :)

Hmmm my comments as always where on the pics I can see here in the thread.. havent looked at larger.. :)

I thought that we were supposed to be commenting on the pics posted too, not some other format of same. Perhaps we are missing something or are not as expert in every damn thing as some seem to think they are. Just a thought like.

Good 1st attempt and great to be able to get Mr & Mrs Bullfinch ... as stated, harsh light and evidence of the feeders doesn't help but keep working at it :)

Composition - wise - give them more space

Assess them yourself and compare them with what has been posted in this section

Look at the composition and the technical quality of your shots and identify areas where your images can be improved so that the next time you are out shooting you can take such into account before and when you press the trigger ... take it step by step as the initially learning curve is relatively easy and you can improve quite quickly

A basic knowledge of post processing will also help considerably

Last edited:
Forgot to add this one of a water shot of a duck on the water

Very good rendition… but the same front focus observation.
I'm not worried at all as this is your first attempt and you will
find the solutions that are right for you.

Thanks for all your comments so far. I am fast realising that this hobby is full of surprises and still much to learn. Great site to be a member of

Last edited:
It maybe about the bird, but it is really about the image ........ so don't just focus on the bird

Perhaps we are missing something or are not as expert in every damn thing as some seem to think they are.

If I can help TP members cool!
But your nasty mosquito-like attitude I could do without since it helps
no one but your post count and your friends given likes!

If I can help TP members cool!
But your nasty mosquito-like attitude I could do without since it helps
no one but your post count and your friends given likes!

Post count? that's pretty rich coming from some one who has amassed as many as you in such a short time.

Prior to patronisingly trying to 'help' others on TP you should get your own house in order. For all the advice you give, your overbearing 'I know better than anyone else' attitude comes across very strongly but, having looked at your work, I see nothing to back up your self appointed expertise.

Just bear in mind, I'm not tho only one who has seen through your superficial proclamations of superior knowledge.

I care nothing of your opinion of me. If it p***es you off that much you can report me via the RTM or put me on your ignore list. Two functions I have never and will never use.

Good 1st attempt and great to be able to get Mr & Mrs Bullfinch ... as stated, harsh light and evidence of the feeders doesn't help but keep working at it :)
Thanks for your comments was well happy with first attempts

I like the first two as you can't see the feeders. I'm no expert, but i have delved into photographing birds in recent months and i found that a nice, clean background really makes the bird stand out.... problem is, they're usually gone by the time i've composed the shot ... Anyway, i think you've got better images than i had on my first try... enjoy!

To the OP, I've just started getting back into photography myself, (Started, stopped, now started again) and as a novice I would be very happy with the pics. I really like the first one.

First attempt Malcolm, then I think you've done very well indeed. I'd be well happy with any of these.(y)

George.

I like the first two as you can't see the feeders. I'm no expert, but i have delved into photographing birds in recent months and i found that a nice, clean background really makes the bird stand out.... problem is, they're usually gone by the time i've composed the shot ... Anyway, i think you've got better images than i had on my first try... enjoy!
Hi Moey. thanks for the comments. Will try this and see how they turn out. Must also consider the fstop I am using

Hi Moey. thanks for the comments. Will try this and see how they turn out. Must also consider the fstop I am using

I forgot to say, i like the second image . As for the fstop, i tend to shoot at around f7.1 -f8. I like shooting birds in flight, so it suits me well at that setting.

For birds I generally use the 500 f/4L and nearly always wide open where it's at its best and sharpest. You need to find out where your lens performs best and use that aperture if possible. Don't get over concerned about the whole bird being in focus, that's bad advice. If you can get the eye and head tack sharp that's great. Different lenses will perform differently on different settings, at varying distances and under different conditions. Get to know your kit and you'll soon be getting the best results iq wise, the rest is down to composition.

Last edited:
Hi Malcolm, i'm another new member,just leaning so can't help much with the technical stuff i'm still trying to get my head around it all myself. I think you have done really well, off to a great start,mate:cool: For me the first thing was how big the birds are in frame which Bill has picked up on are these images cropped? If so could you post a bigger version of the female bulley please,I think she's lovely plus her perch is so cool and looks pretty natural,

good luck

Stu

I thought that we were supposed to be commenting on the pics posted too, not some other format of same. Perhaps we are missing something or are not as expert in every damn thing as some seem to think they are. Just a thought like.
Don't you click on the image and look at the larger Flickr one?
Thought you were the expert in every damn thing? :p

Don't you click on the image and look at the larger Flickr one?
Thought you were the expert in every damn thing? :p

Generally no because they tend to look better on there due to the degradation when hosted on here from there so I judge as I see (mostly).

I'm no expert in every damn thing but I do generally know what I'm speaking about when I speak a trait not followed by all.

Happy Hogmonay.;)

Generally no because they tend to look better on there due to the degradation when hosted on here from there so I judge as I see (mostly).

I'm no expert in every damn thing but I do generally know what I'm speaking about when I speak a trait not followed by all.

Happy Hogmonay.;)
Fair enough, but maybe you should ignore Kodiak instead of starting a slanging match, after all, that's what you told him to do.
Not that I know what I'm talking about. :p
Happy Hogmanay :beer:

Reactions: den
Fair enough, but maybe you should ignore Kodiak instead of starting a slanging match, after all, that's what you told him to do.
Not that I know what I'm talking about. :p
Happy Hogmanay :beer:

Take a look back, I started nothing.

Come on guys, let's keep it friendly :)

Take a look back, I started nothing.

Sorry, my mistake. I thought you were having a sly dig at Kodiak with your first remark. :D

Back