Bird Photography in January in Europe?

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
Yes
I've got some hols in Jan and fancy a bird photography holiday. At the moment, Shetland seems to be a go-er, but can anyone else throw anything into the pot? I could spend a week on Shetland and a week elsewhere. Unfortunately, the budget won't stretch to that Antarctic cruise this year :crying:

What sort of budget are you aiming for?

Edit: Lol, didn't realise it was you :p

Think I take advice from a chip fairy?!

Well, I was seriously considering that Antarctic cruise, so anything less than that really :LOL:

The Solway (eg Loch Ken, Caerlaverlock, Mersehead) and,
Islay(Loch Gruinart, but really almost anywhere on the island)

Only drawback is the weather could be rough (just spent a week on Islay when it rained for 4 days and everyday was about force 5 or more) though this can be interesting, but perhaps not best for birding.

Dave

Shetland's a bit bleak in January - weather is often horrendous, very little light and unfortunately the bird life is a bit sparse. I'm not trying to put you off, but you could get a week of 70mph winds, sleet, and maybe just 3 or 4 hours of semi-daylight.

On the plus side, you may get winter plumage red-throated divers and black guillemots, purple sandpipers are very approachable, fulmars, ravens, the odd gannet. It's also a good time to see otters.

John

Back